24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best way to put any objectionable medium bore in perspective is to shoot a few rounds through it, then shoot 3 rounds through a 458 lott or larger, and then shoot your medium bore again.

I gurantee your medium bore will no longer feel objectionable. I also highly recomend a past mag shoulder pad for benchwork, though a lott or larger will still knock you around.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bluesman
Boat paddle stock Ruger .338. The first one hurt so much I had to try it again. This is a two shot rifle but so far has only needed one. An amazing amount of pain, and I routinely shoot a .375 H&H and .416 Taylor, both under 9 pounds, taught me to ABSOLUTELY put the first round where no second round will be required.

I actually, finally, bought a new stock and that made it a four round rifle.

Terry

i had a Ruger tang safety .338 that i hated. sold it after just a few rounds.

i just bought one of those boat paddle .338s. so far so good, but all i've shot in it is 225 gr. bullets.

wanna sell your boat paddle stock?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I once owned two MK V 300 Weatherby's. One a Euromark with beautiful wood, and one an Accumark. I shot the Accumark prone with factory Nosler 180's. Did I mention I used to be a scope crawler?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've had rifles up to the 458 Lott but the thing that put my keester in a puddle of water was a lowly 31/2",12 ga. H&R single shot shot gun I bought for a cheap turkey gun for my son-in-law. I don't know what these long tent pegs weigh but it isn't enough.

I had some Win 31/2 inchers and rather than shoot offhand, I squatted--didn't sit because a recent rain had made the place a swamp. I wanted to pattern a few of these loads to see what the ugly thing would do--touched one off whilest sitting on my hocks and promptly dunked my a_ _in the drink. It was memorable. Gave it to my son-in-law with a warning.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
No one has mentioned the .340 Weatherby, so I will. I had one in the stainless sythetic Mark V action with no brake - one range session was enough and someone else now owns it. Interestingly enough, I don't have any trouble with any of my three .375 H&H's or either of my .458 win mag. Perhaps it was gun fit, but I hated that .340 Weatherby rifle.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The best way to put any objectionable medium bore in perspective is to shoot a few rounds through it, then shoot 3 rounds through a 458 lott or larger, and then shoot your medium bore again.

I gurantee your medium bore will no longer feel objectionable. I also highly recomend a past mag shoulder pad for benchwork, though a lott or larger will still knock you around.

Agree! My 500 Jeffery makes our 416s and 375s seem like pussycats smile

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Swoobie
No one has mentioned the .340 Weatherby, so I will. I had one in the stainless sythetic Mark V action with no brake - one range session was enough and someone else now owns it. Interestingly enough, I don't have any trouble with any of my three .375 H&H's or either of my .458 win mag. Perhaps it was gun fit, but I hated that .340 Weatherby rifle.

A .340 Weatherby demonstrates one of the very best platforms to prove the effectivness of Magnaporting. Once done, I'd prefer a .340 over most medium bores for the up front thump and the long range trajectory which is up there with the 7mm Rem.

I like it.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Getting back to heavy loads, my heaviest exercise was working up loads for my .460 with 550gn Woodleigh Weldcores and some 600gn Barnes Originals I had on hand.

The 600 grainer's topped out with 116gn IMR 4350 at 2460fps and 8064 FPE. Ultimately I settled on the Woodleigh bullet at the same velocity, because of availability and construction, which was superior being a bonded bullet, compared to the "tube" cup and core Barnes product. I recovered one weighing 458 grains which is quite good weight retention from a lead core bullet.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I own and have had the chance to shoot some big rifles. The worst recoil I've ever experienced was my T/C Encore with the 20" turkey barrel and heavy 3" mag turkey loads.
The gun only weighs 6 pounds.

Last edited by ohiosam; 01/20/13.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoiler
Those clowns on Accurate Reloading are full of schitt. Nobody shoots 100 rounds of .577 NE, .600 NE, or .600 OK in an afternoon and if they claim to then they are full of schitt.

Accurate Reloading used to have some knowledgeable and experienced posters like 500Grains but Saeed and Don ran them off long ago. That site has long since devolved into a competition between the elderly fat guys who can afford to go to Africa and come back and tell lies about their bravery, the sandal lickers who lick Saeed's smelly Arab arse in the hopes of getting a free safari, and the egomaniacs like Ted Williams and that fat doctor who claim to be impervious to recoil and are petitioning Heym for a 5 lb .577 NE double. LMAO!!

I don't think your too far off track on some of this!

This was my experience on AR as well. They run the site like a club promoting certain ideas, products (and big ego's).

Anyone who crosses a line, critical of certain product or idea, is hounded and provoked in a tag team manner. Name calling and disrespect all part of the act.

My crime, I was critical of the 600ok. Never the users, just the design parameters. Man, did I ever hit a nerve. I got dumped on big time. I fought back with criticism of muzzle brakes, 2 shot magazines and rebated rims. Pointed out a few 1000's reduction in bore diameter and all issues resolved. I was banned.

I noticed a couple other of the more informed members disappear as well. Never saw anyone banned for bad manners or personal insults. As far as I could guess, it was for opinions contrary to certain moderator or member views.

Website based forums are not a democracy. The owner & moderators can do what they like. I joined several hobby forums and this one caught me by surprise. Live and learn. Fortunately, there is a world of good people and forums to join.

As to most recoil, my 6 lb H&R 12ga with 3 inch magnums is pretty rough.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For me it's my ten pound 600NE single shot! 900 grains spinning out at 2150 will get your attention.

[Linked Image]

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i have no real interest in touching off a 600NE but that is one seriously cool looking single shot....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No kidding Rattler, that thing is sweet, is it an old Greener or Farquharson?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a Farq

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Looks like a Farq

I'll bet 900 grains at 2150 will knock the Farq out of a man. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gunner500

I'll bet 900 grains at 2150 will knock the Farq out of a man. grin

Gunner

It'll get your attention very quickly!

And you need to hang on tight! crazy

This is a Daniel Fraser action. None of the mentioned actions have side levers.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 AKMike, tell me thats a safety inside the trigger guard and not a SET trigger. eek lol

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That is indeed the safety.. But that's the worst possible place to have it with full boogie loads.

It'll draw blood!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
still no interest in touching it off, im pretty sure the 600 is outside my recoil tolerance....but would love to get my hands on it and look it over in person....thats one neat rifle...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Stop by for coffee then.. Heck we're almost neighbors.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
489 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.