Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7291986 - 01/09/13 07:17 PM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: blammer]
selmer Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Upper Midwest
iron eagle, I have that very mold and it has worked great for me for .38 spec - .357 Max. Have fun and you can make casting as simple as it sounds or as complex as competition BR. grin

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile

#7292813 - 01/10/13 03:19 AM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: selmer]
Czech_Made Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Virginia
Here is my primitive setup. I heated the mould on the side of the hot plate, didn't feel like dipping it in the lead.

After 50 or so bullets, I got the feel for temperature and whatnot and frankly the mould works very well even for newbie like me.

Sorry for the crapy pictures, but this forum has some weird size limits and I dont have photo managing tools on my PC at work.

Attachments
DSCN0628.jpg (90 downloads)
DSCN0630.jpg (79 downloads)

Edited by Czech_Made (01/10/13 03:21 AM)

#7292925 - 01/10/13 04:53 AM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: Czech_Made]
ironeagle_84 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: grants pass, oregon
Thanks Czech, it gives me a much better idea about what i will be looking at to do things that way.

I just looked last night, and i saw that a Lee pot with a temp dial and all is only $60. I thought they were more than that. It would seem to be a good starting point.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )

#7294166 - 01/10/13 10:28 AM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: ironeagle_84]
blammer Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Asheville, NC
The lee bottom pour is a good investment.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

#7297181 - 01/11/13 03:17 AM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: blammer]
Claybirds Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Wisconsin
This is the cheapest that I have found for Lee products.

FS Reloading

#7368581 - 01/27/13 08:04 AM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: Claybirds]
kjohn Offline

Loc: SE Sask
Wow! It is refreshing to read positive comments regarding Lee stuff. I use Lee moulds, bottom pour pots, plus Lee Alox, etc. You can hardly take the chance to mention Lee on some forums. Sounds like I will have to check out the new style 2c Lee molds. I have sent a nasty pile of Lee TL bullets down range over the years. I read an article about casting and TL bullets years ago, written by Dean Grennell. The article got me started.

#7368602 - 01/27/13 08:07 AM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: kjohn]
kjohn Offline

Loc: SE Sask
With regards to my post above - would anyone happen to have the article of which I speak? If you do, please scan and post it. It demystifies so much about casting.

Edited by kjohn (01/27/13 08:08 AM)

#7393976 - 02/02/13 06:55 AM Re: So if a guy wanted to cast a bullet or two... [Re: kjohn]
Colorado1135 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: SW, SD
Marty, here is a pic of my setup, I too wanted to shoot my .45 for cheaper than I can buy them so I did this last winter about this time of year actually. I went to castboolits.com and found some used stuff, I like ladling out of my lyman pot better than the drippy bottom pour I had. all I have to do is plug in my pot, set the mold on it, check it every so often til it's ready. you'll also want something to drop the bullets into, I use an old cookie sheet with some old denim in the bottom, I keep it soaked with water and just a skim over it all, bullets cool a little faster and the denim cushions them when they drop. I also have a piece of 2x2 bolted down to the bench to rest my mold on when I knock the sprue plate with a wooden dowel to open the mold up. that too has a shallow DRY pan to collect the sprue lead. that gets ladled back into the pot periodically. do not put wet lead into a pot whatever you do! any misformed bullets due to a cold mold get put in a small pail after they have cooled to be used in the next casting session. it really is a lot of fun, and as stated above you can do as much or little with it as you want.

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes that reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Originally Posted By: derby_dude

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on STEINER OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
565 registered (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 00_Sean, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 1274 Guests and 354 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50427 Members
72 Forums
633363 Topics
9085760 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.