Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can understand why people are going crazy buying .223 loads, but .22LR stuff? What am I missing? Is there a bounty on squirrels?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The same reason dopers across the country buy up the cocaine when the news says that some Julio with a dashboard full gets busted at the boarder.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I can understand why people are going crazy buying .223 loads, but .22LR stuff? What am I missing? Is there a bounty on squirrels?

Do people not watch the news? Besides the normal idiots trying to pass another AWB you have other politicans out there saying we can pass laws to restrict the shipping of ammo, restrict the amount of ammo that can be bought at a given time, make background checks mandatory for ammo.

All this adds up. It may or may not happen but never underestimate the stupidity of congress.

A bill was introduced in CT yesterday that would ban posession of all firearms other than a single shot....

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It can be used extensively for small game hunting without generating a lot of noise and is non reloadable. A lot of folks figure if they outlaw some guns that they can still use their .22's without getting caught due to the low noise signature.

This happened prior to Clinton's proposed ammo ban/tax and again when Obama came into office. Everyone worried that by executive order they were going to tax the hell out of ammo and so folks stockpiled the .22 ammo too. I'll admit to buying about 20 bricks back under Clinton. Still have most of it. Now I am just happy I did cause it was $10 a brick back then. Now, around here its $25 a brick for the cheap stuff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
People afraid of their government as they should be.

FWIW anyone these days that doesn't buy 22 at least a box at a time is nuts. And keep a spare box handy. By box i mean case, of 5000. Buy 5000 for spare and then buy how many you shoot in a year and you'll be much better off.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I hate to bust anybody's bubble. But there may come a time when the 22 long rifle is the best guerrilla weapon available. You think not? When was the last time that you tryed to pack around 3000 rounds of any other ammunition In your backpack.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well it looks like I missed the boat on this one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's nuts around here... The great thing about having a odd ball chambering is that you might actually can find ammo now.

22lr
223 rem
12 ga shotgun

All gone!!!

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
People buy a chitton of it because they can. It's relatively cheap, and you can put a pallet of it on your credit card. Same with primers. Not many people need 10s of thousands of primers. But you can sure wipe out a dealer's shelf for a couple hundred bucks.

After the last debacle there were scum that would buy it by the truckload from stores here in town, then scalp it at the gunshows. Gopher season rolled around and try buying some .22s to take your kid out. Stores finally started limiting buyers to how many they could buy at a time, that helped out considerably.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Communist Squirrels and Rabbits are pushing to have the 22 stuff banned, so buy it while you can get it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wdenike
I hate to bust anybody's bubble. But there may come a time when the 22 long rifle is the best guerrilla weapon available. You think not? When was the last time that you tryed to pack around 3000 rounds of any other ammunition In your backpack.
You're not wrong.. Almost anyone can carry 4-5 bricks of .22 in a backpack - and a .22 rifle or handgun can be very accurate, relatively quiet and still do serious damage..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I try to keep at least 2 or 3 thousand rounds on hand.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
You're not wrong.. Almost anyone can carry 4-5 bricks of .22 in a backpack - and a .22 rifle or handgun can be very accurate, relatively quiet and still do serious damage..

Thats also been a LARGE contention of mine about panic buying of say 10,000 rounds of 223... if it gets bad you'll probably need to move... if not, buying components can allow you to reload as needed, but how would you carry that much?

22 is one of your very best friends.

Truth be told if you had to move, you'd want some type of larger handgun and rifle and shotgun, but not that much ammo. A couple of 22 pistols and a take down rifle, and a good can for the above, you could get a lot of food etc.... quietly too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Redneck

wink wink wink And some of us are not of the spray and pray mentality!!!!

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you got that right , one shot one kill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.22LR = alot of bang for the buck........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well lets just say that if 10 million shooters just buys two bricks of 22 LR, most stores would be out of stock in a few hours. its like if every car in America topped off the tank even day, there would be no gas to pump. People are buying ammo as fast as they can make it. And you are correct a 22 LR in a rifle or handgun is your best friend. You carry a lot of rounds vs 223 30-06 308 or 12 or 20 ga.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carry one of my Colt Woodsman and 50 rounds of ammo quiet often when hunting and it can't be done comfortably with anything much bigger

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I always maintain several thousand rounds of .22 lr in case of shortages.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Let me take five other good men with accurate 22 rifles. And if the chit was ugly. In a very short period of time. We would be driving a tank. Enough said.

Take care, Willie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.