Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I sure wish those giving air time to the piers a hole would go completely prepared to really engage in the self defence debate and bring up the evidence of people defending themselves with guns. We need stories of Women and children defending themselves with guns,like has been in the news this last few weeks. Women and children are trotted up as the victims of gun violence and need to be able to defend themselves and their families. We need to get the women that shoot and hunt talking and put them into the debate.

BP-B2

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I wanted to bookmark into perpetuity Morgan's doltish behavior in telling Shapiro "your little book" after Shapiro handed him a copy of the constitution.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He handled Piers well, but there are DEFINITELY valid uses for miltary style weapons. Top of the list is ranchers and home owners along the southern border who must be able protect themselves because the federal government refuses to do their job. Also, defense of family, property and life after catastrophes is another - Katrina, Hurricane Sandy, California race riots, etc. Third is hunting - it's probably the most popular coyote and prairie dog hunting platform in existence. Fourth is simple sporting purposes.

Last.. remove all the military style weapons and it won't make a blip on the crime statistics radar. The murders and mass murders will still happen, and the VERY few that happen now with the black rifles will simply happen with handguns.

So he handled himself well, and he put the 2nd Amendment into the right perspective - but he also failed to cover points that he absolutely should have.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
When you are the one being interviewed by a agendized host who controls the show, seeking perfection will forever leave one frustrated.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pier's: "I'm not the one who came in here and said you were standing on the graves of children at Sandy Hook."

Shapiro: "That's because YOU are the one that's doing that!"

Zing!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mako25
He gets props for understanding the reason for 2A.

Now, watch the villification begin.

what he should also have said when piers asked for the reason would be that we don't trust Obammy to uphold the Constitution and we are fearful of him becomming a dick,tator the use of zars ,EOs and btpassing the congress,is pointing to tyrannical gov.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Morgan just can't seem to fathom any purpose at all for a citizenry to be armed and continues to tout the unarmed British utopia. Seems that it might be appropriate for someone to remind Morgan of Britain's desperate need for weapons to protect their homeland during WWII. (And who willingly supplied them, most to never be returned)

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RISJR
When you are the one being interviewed by a agendized host who controls the show, seeking perfection will forever leave one frustrated.

Perfection, no... but repeatedly saying the only valid use for a military style semi-auto is to defend against the government? That's almost a total failure in understanding the topic.

But the kid was from California, so considering this he did quite well.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Shapiro needs to go home.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Shapiro did a very competent job, although he's just a little soft on the issue for my liking (e.g., he said he agrees with having a national registry of gun owners). That said, Morgan's tactics are consistently despicable.

These are the useful idiots that are going to continue to give our guns away one at a time.

But why are these people going on Piers show? Morgan needs a show we don't need his show.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 01/11/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Recognizing there is nothing to be gained by engaging a fool in the first place would be a step in a more productive direction. By engaging any of the left wing wacko's we actually lend credibility (which they lack) to their preposterous suppositions. At some level, we must refuse to engage, (thereby validating their absurdity).

Kind of like arguing with a certain poster here at the fire...

LOL
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Morgan continues to get called out. This one, surprisingly, is from WaPo.
======

WaPo: Yeah, Morgan got pwned last night
January 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Normally I�d be tempted to just add this as an update to the previous post, but it�s just too delicious not to highlight on its own. As Duane wrote in his GR post, Piers Morgan went from his embarrassing display in his interview with Ben Shapiro to lamenting about Shapiro�s �intransigent� performance with Mark Kelly afterward. Eric Wemple at the Washington Post confirms that Shapiro wasn�t intransigent � he was just a lot smarter than Morgan and beat him at his own game:

And Piers Morgan struggled to find the appropriate strategy for dismissing Ben Shapiro, editor-at-large of Breitbart.com and a foe of extraordinary polemical agility. He started in on Morgan by contending that the CNN star had exploited the dead children of Newtown �

Patented outrage spilled from Morgan: �How dare you.� And then the conversation took a turn for the better, as Shapiro cornered the CNN host on a central disconnect of the ongoing gun-violence debate: Proposals are floating around to redo the ban on assault rifles, something Morgan supports. But Shapiro wonders �.

Wemple then excerpts Shapiro�s challenge to Morgan on handguns. Murders by rifle are relatively rare, more rare than murders by knives, for example. Most murders by firearm involve handguns � so why isn�t Morgan backing a handgun ban, too? Wemple cuts out the best part of Shapiro�s pushback, though:

SHAPIRO: This is what I wanted to ask you, Piers, because I have seen you talk about assault weapons a lot, and I have seen Mark Kelly talk about assault weapons. The vast majority of murders in this country that are committed with guns are committed with handguns, they are not committed assault weapons. Are you willing to ban handguns in this country, across this country?

MORGAN: No, that�s not what I�m asking for.

SHAPIRO: Why not? Don�t you care about the kids who are being killed in Chicago as much as the kids in Sandy Hook?

That�s the exact kind of argument that Morgan uses on his guests, but can�t handle when used back on him. Wemple points out that Morgan seemed completely unprepared for his own tactics to be used on himself, and for Shapiro�s preparation:

Where Jones proved needy of a background screening, Shapiro was rational and on point. Where Jones failed to directly address Morgan�s points, Shapiro went right at them. Where Jones monologued, Shapiro got through his points quickly and shut up.
All those skills came in handy as Morgan tried to trap Shapiro by noting that Ronald Reagan had supported curbs on assault weapons:

MORGAN: One of the great right-wing presidents of modern times agreed with me.

Shapiro�s priceless retort: �So?�

It�s what happens in a battle of wits when one side is only half-armed. In truth, it doesn�t take �extreme polemical agility� to beat a poorly-informed journalistic bully like Morgan � but it certainly helps.

Update: As Twitchy reports, the whining continues.

Update II: In a more serious vein, Michael Moynihan perfectly captures the dishonesty of Morgan and his entire approach:

None of this should be surprising, coming as it does from a disgraced former tabloid editor and ex-talent show judge. Indeed, a quick look at Morgan�s oeuvre, which includes stints at the News of the World, which was shuttered during the phone hacking scandal, and the Daily Mirror, from which he was fired for publishing fake photos of British soldiers abusing Iraqi prisoners, and one understands that Morgan is incapable of nuance. Take his description of supermodel Kate Moss, whom he dismissed as a �drunken, foul-mouthed, ill-mannered, paranoid Croydon girl with a cocaine- desecrated hooter and spots.� Her ex-boyfriend Pete Doherty, former guitar player in The Libertines, a seminal British post-punk band, is a �filthy talentless junkie who can�t sing.� They are funny lines, for sure, but one needn�t rush to YouTube to discover that Morgan is even more contemptuous of Second Amendment enthusiasts.

This is not an argument about the wisdom of owning an AR-15 or the judiciousness of outlawing certain high-capacity clips, but of the silliness of the Drudge and Morgan-style debate, which has abandoned reason for moral outrage. To disagree with Piers Morgan is to argue in bad faith, to be opposed to common sense, to be an uncaring, unfeeling tool of the gun lobby. Former CNN host Larry King, who Morgan replaced in 2011, told the Huffington Post this week that the show was now �all about the host,� where �the guest becomes the prop to the host.�

The Leveson Report on phone hacking in the British tabloid industry noted that in 2003 Morgan sent an email to a police officer who had complained about a story in The Daily Mirror, shrugging that �fame and crime sends most of the usual rules out of the window.� Morgan is himself famous, and has now taken it upon himself to adjudicate the complicated issue of crime�the thorny issue of America�s gun culture�by having shouting matches with paranoiacs like Alex Jones and Jesse Ventura. And in the process, he has, as promised, tossed the rules of responsible journalism out the window.

Nothing on his resum� indicates Morgan ever cared about �responsible journalism� in the first place.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by horse1
Ben Shapiro needs a lesson in the difference between a semi-auto and "assault weapon".

As gun owners, we really have to stop the "assault weapon/rifle" term, and start referring to it as a semi-auto sporting rifle.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"Typical anti stance....paint anyone who believes in the 2nd ammendment as a paranoid kook waiting for their gov't to turn on them."
The sad part about it all is that the government IS beginning to turn on the average American citizen! It's happening just a little bit at a time but faster every day since the current occupent took over the W.House! Just wait 'til after his second inauguration and watc how fast things go down hill from there!! He has NOTHING TO LOSE as he doesn't have to run again for office! By the next election he will just be known as Comrade Leader!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
ironbender: "As gun owners, we really have to stop the "assault weapon/rifle" term, and start referring to it as a semi-auto sporting rifle."
If that's the case then it sure as hell would NOT hurt if all the damm sellers of AR15 type items would drop the damm words "TACTICAL & SOCOM" and all the Military jargon when advertising the junk! It makes gun owners look like a bunch of Rambo fools just by the ads alone!! What else would the general public think just from the ads alone? Our shut-up pie holes brought a lot of this crap into our laps ourselves so now it's time to repair the damage the best we can and lett advertisers know how damaging this type of advertising is to gun owenership overall! I am NOT anti-AR but I really find this type of advertising to be totally disgusting and a turn-off towards this type of firearm! Oh, and quit putting them on the cover of every dang magazine ever printed so that they are right in front of every soccer mom who ever goes into a grocery store!! Yeah!! THAT really helps our cause, too!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yep kudos to him for that.

Good stuff for sure.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Horseman
Typical anti stance....paint anyone who believes in the 2nd ammendment as a paranoid kook waiting for their gov't to turn on them.

Yeah but they forget... Ya ain't paranoid if they really are out to get ya.

Clinging to my guns and religion, I'd say they're clearly comin.

Kid was right on when he pointed out how screwed his people were by Morgan's Chamberlain-esque understanding of history.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He did good.

The terms assault weapon and assault rifle are ridiculous, have no actual meaning, and need to be unused.

The "need" bs needs to go too.

I will stop at that; no need for a book.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Even Piers should understand what a tyrannical government can do as his was one at one time and that was solved with the modern weapons of that time.

But he probably has never had a hard day in his life.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
instead of assault rifle how about Modern Sporting Rifle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.