Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have had a back surgery, and a friend of mine has made mention of the fact that me of all people should consider a good set of trekking poles. In fact, he mentioned he himself doesn't have back problems, but the benefits of the poles are fantastic, even for those who are healthy. So I figured I would ask all those that do backpack what they consider the best ones to buy would be. I would be using them primarily hunting, and so does he. Thanks in advance.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a little research myself lately because I too have heard great things about using poles and how much it lightens the load, helps your body, etc.

These seem to get the best reviews that I found so I picked up a pair and they are on the way. Not the lightest made, but sturdy and adjustable for length which can be good if many hills are involved (shorten them on the way up, lengthen for coming down).

http://www.rei.com/product/830471/black-diamond-trail-ergo-cork-trekking-poles-pair

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leki Makalu's without the anit-shok.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black Diamond ploes with Flicklock, I prefer the two peice ones cause there lighter. Been using a set now for 5 years skiing, hiking and backpacking, have never had one fail. I bent one into a horseshoe shape while skiing. I bent it back and I am still using that same pole.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
black diamond contour elliptic carbon

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Another vote for Black Diamond with flip Lock

3 hip surgeries and still packing out deer and elk with help of hiking poles.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
black diamond contour elliptic carbon

I have used various poles since the mid-70s, starting with modded old downhill poles. I bought the C3s by Komperdell and one collapsed partially on me, while on a tricky bit of trail above Lynn Creek, here....damned near bought it.

I then went to the abovr BDs and they absolutely rock, won't leave my vehicle without them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two pair of Leki Makalu's. Both continuously slipped the locks. Used Black Diamond z-poles this year....they are the bomb.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mine slipped this year, but only when wet and some serious pushing on them.. I'm sure I could just tighten it a bit and it wouldn't budge. They slipped when climbing with this.. ~130lbs of meat alone. Probably the heaviest pack I've ever carried. I used a nice pair of Lekis this summer for a while, abused the hell out of them and they held up. Like the Black Diamonds el. carbon contours better though.
[Linked Image]

But a better couple photos of the Black Diamonds..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just use 1 pole and I won't be without it. I find 2 to be too cumbersome when I have a rifle in hand. A 2d one could easily be carried in a pack, though, for use when needed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've learned 2 poles is like having 4 wheel drive in many places. Helps tremendously especially when carrying something heavy on uneven ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've learned 2 poles is like having 4 wheel drive in many places. Helps tremendously especially when carrying something heavy on uneven ground.

I totally concur, Bryan encouraged me to get some about a decade ago. At first I thought hmm, then I thought hey if this fella who's in super shape and works his butt off in tough country uses them then maybe just maybe this mid life out of shape older man (note I didn't say old...) who's had a bunch of knee work done could use them as well.

Some of the best advice I've ever had!

Don't go anywhere without them.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I usually hunt with just one pole but have another folded up and easy to grab. With a set of poles and Micro-Spikes, I can pack 100+ lb loads out of almost anywhere safely.

Ed T

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I rarely use poles. I've even carried them for testing on a weekend backpack in which we did 9000 feet of gain. I would have gladly let someone else use them, they usually seem more hindrance, unless the snow is deep.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I usually hunt with just one pole but have another folded up and easy to grab. With a set of poles and Micro-Spikes, I can pack 100+ lb loads out of almost anywhere safely.

Same here. Usually on out and one in the pack. Love them for coming down steep/loose, and sidehilling in same. Even more so with a heavy pack. If just pounding out miles on a trail, I usually put one or both back in the pack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't help with using poles. But I see a few people every year in the Thorofare country backpacking with poles. I have no doubt they help carry a load. What I find funny is everybody I see with them has their head down looking at the trail and they have no clue of their surroundings. My pack string of mules and I have slipped up on more then one, even coming the opposite direction on the trail, before they saw me.

It is even better when they have poles and earphones.

Last edited by Ralphie; 01/11/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have become absolutely sold on trekking poles over the last couple years, I carry two. Usually one is in the pack and the other in my hand. If I get in a rough area or have a lot of weight to pack, I can pull out the second one.

I use some aluminum Lekis something or others I found on sale for $50 at a local outdoor store.

This is one item where they all work the same way. Not sure if (for me) I could justify the cost of top-of-the line, high $$, space age fibers etc.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine are cheap Cabelas aluminum, something like $35/pair. They work but they have problems. If you hit a rock, they ring like a chime. Then if they're wet, the locks will freeze and you can't adjust them until they thaw out. The fun part, though, is they have compasses in the grips. I bought 2 pair. I can line them up and all 4 compasses will point in different directions. Highly reliable, no?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They don't all work the same. Some are far more durable than othes, and lighter. Have seen many bend over and snap the el-cheapo versions.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They don't all work the same. Some are far more durable than othes, and lighter. Have seen many bend over and snap the el-cheapo versions.

That's for sure. I used aluminum Black Diamonds this year, and the trip I shot my goat one started bending pretty good. I had to straighten it back out a number of times on trees. Would never have wanted to make that trip without them. I need to replace them, but haven't yet.

On trail I rarely use them, unless I have lots of weight or it is really slick. But for nasty country, they are fantastic.

Empirical results rule!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.