Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
rahtreelimbs,

They told him the cases like the .234, .300 Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag and all the USED short fat magnum barrels get replaced at about 350 rounds

Fixed it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ackleyfan,

Baloney......you might want to call George at GA precision and tell him his 7 WSM is about 2000 rounds over due

If you fired 350 rounds one right after the other I could believe it, but most here aren't building a comp rifle, and Competition rifles in 7 wsm last 1000 + rounds of great accuracy, I just don't buy it.........!!!

Let's suppose George at GA has 2,350 rounds down his 7 WSM barrel and he is still pleased with it accuracy. If it had a longer neck he might get 5,350 rounds of his level of accuracy.

Your statement remind me of a young man I worked with for awhile. He was convinced if he didn't think it it could not possibly be true. smile
[bleep], why doesn't somebody let George in on this incredible secret?!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner
Ackleyfan,

Baloney......you might want to call George at GA precision and tell him his 7 WSM is about 2000 rounds over due

If you fired 350 rounds one right after the other I could believe it, but most here aren't building a comp rifle, and Competition rifles in 7 wsm last 1000 + rounds of great accuracy, I just don't buy it.........!!!

Let's suppose George at GA has 2,350 rounds down his 7 WSM barrel and he is still pleased with it accuracy. If it had a longer neck he might get 5,350 rounds of his level of accuracy.

Your statement remind me of a young man I worked with for awhile. He was convinced if he didn't think it it could not possibly be true. smile
Heck, why doesn't somebody let George in on this incredible secret?!

Fixed it.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ackleyfan,

Let me see if I get this correctly. I should believe an anonymous someone on the internet rather than someone I have spoken with over the years and have come to respect? I don't think so.

I did put my money where my beleif is on that last .224 wildcat.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ackleyfan,

Guessing he might already know and is why he's starting to build 6.5 SAUMs... wink

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

6.5 SAUM sounds real nice. I think that would work for me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Let me see if I get this correctly. I should believe an anonymous someone on the internet rather than someone I have spoken with over the years and have come to respect? I don't think so.

Isn't that exactly what you're asking everyone else to do?

I guess it'd be different if Lonnie had written down his results so people could see them. I don't doubt the guy knows his stuff, and I don't doubt that he's proven something to himself.

But that's not what I'd call proving something beyond doubt, or however it was that you characterized it.

As far as I can tell, you're asking us to "believe an anonymous someone on the internet."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Ackleyfan,

Guessing he might already know and is why he's starting to build 6.5 SAUMs... wink

Four shooters who compete for team GA Precision used the 6.5 SAUM last year in tactical competitions. They shot 140gr bullets at 3050fps(velocity restrictions for damage to steel targets).Those four rifles each have between 2500 and 3000 rounds through them and still shoot well enough to keep those guys in the winner's circle.

George Gardner was at my shoot out here last spring with his brand new 6.5 SAUM comp rifle. I saw him put 300+ rounds through it in a two day period....he wasn't shooting it slow either! At the end of last summer he had 2500 through it and told me it still shoots 1/2" or better. My theory is case design, the correct propellent, moderate pressure and good barrels.....I can't wait to get mine!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scenar- Thanks for the additional info. The 6.5 SAUM sounds like one heck of a sensible 'cat. I can only imagine the havok you'll cause the critters with one! Heck, I'm still trying to get my 260 Rem running to snuff and now you have me thinking of something else... wink laugh

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I believe the 6.5 SAUM has a longer neck than the WSM cases.

There are many factors in accurate barrel life but I believe a longer neck helps.

I also agree that the 6.5 SAUM could be THE long range hunting cartridge when you take into account recoil, windrift and retained velocity/energy. And if accurate barrel life is 2500+ plus rounds, sign me up!

Last edited by crazyhorse; 01/10/13.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I believe the 6.5 SAUM has a longer neck than the WSM cases.

Yes, but not by much. If I'm reading the diagrams right, about .31" vs. .275" for the WSM. The shoulder on the WSM is a little sharper at 35 vs 30 for the SAUM, which is another factor that's supposed to affect barrel life. Probably the biggest factor is how hot you run it. You can see pics of both on this thread:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7243319/8

If I shoot out my 6.5 WSM too soon, I'll just have to re-barrel to 6.5 SAUM.....I don't mind letting those guys do all the load work-up grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The barrel burning issue with short necks has been proven, and it has a name. Its called turbulence point. Unless its been unproven since.

Personally I think a lot of how long a barrel lasts is also quality of that lot of steel and whether you start with shallow button rifling which never lasts long for me, or deep cut rifling which has always shown a longer barrel life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 300 RSAUM will push a 210g Berger LRBT at 2800fps from a 28 inch barrel.
I used Rel 22 and got it up to 2900 but it shot better at 2800 so thats where I run it.
We scoped it at 900 rounds and its just starting to "speck",with no checking yet at all.
I have cases that have been fired 12 times and some of them I did my ladders test and im still usuing them.
The 30 Degree shoulder is pretty easy to use and I havent had a problem just bumping it...just enough to keep the cases fitted just so.
30 degree shoulder,no belt,long neck.Tuff as heck case head.
Little to no case length growth.... I never trim...Short fat powder column.
Just a short fat 30 cal version of a 6mm PPC.
Its simple and it works.
Kicks ass at 1000 yards..

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Ackleyfan,

I did put my money where my beleif is on that last .224 wildcat.

Maybe you should just have "Gullibal" tatooed on your forehead....with the goofy wildcats you build I can see 350 rounds max, but you need to ? your source as your not getting the whole story...then again maybe you are laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe you should just have "Gullibal" tatooed on your forehead....with the goofy wildcats you build I can see 350 rounds max, but you need to ? your source as your not getting the whole story...then again maybe you are

You actually believe I made wildcats?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dave7mm

My 6.5 WSM is a hunting rifle, actually kind of a lightweight built on a Kimber action with a 24" #2. I wanted one that was good in the mountains, and once I get it dialed in it won't see a lot of rounds at the range. It'll push a 130 vld or Scirocco up to 3200 but best accuracy is at 3150.

Life is too short to worry about re-barreling grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338Norma

The 30-404 is a 300 Dakota

Well....almost.The 300 Dakota is a 30-404 shortened,and set up for 30/06 length actions.The original 30-404's were full length cartridges necked down and blown out and were more like he 300 Rem UM.Guys were messing with those years before the RUM or the Dakota were introduced.

I don't know what the "best 30" is but you have to put the 30/06 very close to the top,and it would be me pick.

For a higher velocity cartridge the 300 Weatherby strikes a nice balance even today between case design,capacity,recoil,and velocity..... not much more is gained with larger cases and recoil and blast get excessive by going to the larger case.

That said there really is not much to choose between the various belted 30's like the 300 Win,H&H,and Weatherby....all are good cartridges.I've owned and hunted all three and wouldn't give 10 cents for the practical differences between them when killing animals.

Longer necks show better barrel life because they draw heat away from the throat area to a greater extent than the shorter necks(at least that's what I have read);this is one of the design characteristics of things like the 6XC and why it supposedly gives greater barrel life than the 243 Winchester......who knows? But that's what they say... confused smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
The barrel burning issue with short necks has been proven, and it has a name. Its called turbulence point. Unless its been unproven since.

Personally I think a lot of how long a barrel lasts is also quality of that lot of steel and whether you start with shallow button rifling which never lasts long for me, or deep cut rifling which has always shown a longer barrel life.

Definitely agree with this....one of the reasons I don't use button barrels anymore,and haven't for years.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
......who knows? But that's what they say... confused smile

Yes, I think that sums it up nicely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by dave7mm

My 6.5 WSM is a hunting rifle, actually kind of a lightweight built on a Kimber action with a 24" #2. I wanted one that was good in the mountains, and once I get it dialed in it won't see a lot of rounds at the range. It'll push a 130 vld or Scirocco up to 3200 but best accuracy is at 3150.

Life is too short to worry about re-barreling grin

Gunsmith built a 6.5 WSM.
Shot it for awhile and got rid of it.
Peekie Weirdness.
Very short barrel life.
And if I wanted to run 130g bullets at 3150.
I'd just build 270 WCF. cool
You know....the mag without the belt....
In fact I did.Bout 20 years ago....
The SAUM is a better case than the WSM.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.