NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7288280 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: Winnie]
NMSSHOOTER Online   content
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Mississippi
Thanks guys for clearing things up. I would not willful shoot a deer and loose it. I still say I made a good shot just didn't find it. I shot once and it fell. Just some bow got up. Thanks for people being honest and not throwing me under the bus just because we stretched the distance, with which we practice And was comfortable. Will be going back this evening hopeful to so maybe things will work out.

RV 728 BP
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
#7288655 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: NMSSHOOTER]
smokepole Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: NMSSHOOTER
Thanks for people being honest and not throwing me under the bus just because we stretched the distance, with which we practice And was comfortable. Will be going back this evening hopeful to so maybe things will work out.

No need for thanks NMS, "not throwing someone under the bus" is not all that difficult. When I read Brent's last post above, for a minute there I thought I may have missed something in TATELAW's post where he contradicted himself.

But then I thought so what? I don't know TATELAW, and I have no reason to think the guy would make things up or change his story in a dishonest way, so even if his posts didn't add up, I would just assume he made an honest mistake and then corrected it.

I guess some people tend to assume the opposite.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

#7288973 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: smokepole]
efw Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Mi.
Yeah and I tend to believe that assumption says more about the assumeR than those 'falling victim' to the assumption.
Sometimes you bring up the water when the well is dry

-Buddy Miller

#7289059 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: efw]
Salmonella Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Behind Enemy Lines
W I N D - is a 4 letter word and a variable that is not easily mastered even by the most highly skilled shooters.
A calm windless morning can impress you about today's modern gadgetry and convert you into a true believer while you lick your chops about that next 1000 yd rifle set up.
An errand breeze down range can have you tracking a 3 legged buck over numerous mountain ranges and into the next county while swearing you'll never do that again.

#7289344 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: Salmonella]
Reloader7RM Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NW La.
I missed a doe at 310 last year, killed several further since. $hit happens, it's part of the game.

Hate to hear you lost her Luke, but all we can do is try harder the next time.

#7289473 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: Salmonella]
dvdegeorge Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Western N.Y.
Originally Posted By: Salmonella
W I N D - is a 4 letter word and a variable that is not easily mastered even by the most highly skilled shooters.
A calm windless morning can impress you about today's modern gadgetry and convert you into a true believer while you lick your chops about that next 1000 yd rifle set up.
An errand breeze down range can have you tracking a 3 legged buck over numerous mountain ranges and into the next county while swearing you'll never do that again.
Amen brother! Come ups is easy wind is voodoo

#7289602 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: dvdegeorge]
Campfire Regular

As for the wind, it couldn't have been a more calm evening. No wind to deal with what so ever.

#7289843 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: NMSSHOOTER]
blammer Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Asheville, NC
Good shooting, tough luck on the one.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

#7289846 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: NMSSHOOTER]
TATELAW Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI
I'm glad my story was clear to everyone else. The 25-06 I had with me is a rifle that I have killed with at 300 and holdover would be manageable out to 400. I have no idea about other's skills but I feel very comfortable with shots out to that distance without any special equipment. It comes with lots of practice. However, I'm not going past 400 without a tested LR setup. This setup can be a ballistic reticle scope that I have range tested or, preferably, target turrets. The 25-06 has a relatively new scope on it with target turrets but I didn't have time to get comfortable with them before the season like I did with Luke's Sendero. I plan to shoot it a lot using the turrets during the next off season so maybe I can use my own LR rig next season.

Edited by TATELAW (01/09/13)

#7289867 - 01/09/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: NMSSHOOTER]
smokepole Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Colorado
It's hard to comment on the wind if you weren't there, except to say it's less of a factor at 600 than 1000.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

#7291149 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: BrentD]
Rhino69 Offline

Loc: MI
Originally Posted By: BrentD
Maybe you would be better off spending the time building a brush blind a little bit closer to that end of the field. frown

I am gonna start with this quote although any of your's would do. This forum is to talk about hunting and give props to fellow hunters.It is painfully obvious that you are pissed off at the world and you sit behind your computer lashing out at others. Giving your opinion when it wasn't asked for, as for Luke and Roger they are southern gentleman both refined and eloquent as they defend a position that simply needs no defense! I am gonna say what they wont, apparently they didn't engage in the manner you were hoping........So i hope my saying you are a phuctard. Will make you feel better! Have a nice day! Now GFY!http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/default/grin.gif

#7291317 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: Rhino69]
EddyBo Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: SW MS
Tatelaw, NMSshooter, I have never taken a trophy whitetail shooting long range, but find it is one hell of a tool for culling does. I just locked up a spot on Hwy 16 very near the big black. I used to hunt the property 15 years ago. I hear the current lease holders have let the does run wild. If yall want to come shoot some does....or a buck if the opportunity arises, yall holler. Do I know yall from the old MDWFP or Bull forums?

#7291476 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: EddyBo]
schoolmarm Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Mississippi
Originally Posted By: EddyBo
Tatelaw, NMSshooter, I have never taken a trophy whitetail shooting long range, but find it is one hell of a tool for culling does. I just locked up a spot on Hwy 16 very near the big black. I used to hunt the property 15 years ago. I hear the current lease holders have let the does run wild. If yall want to come shoot some does....or a buck if the opportunity arises, yall holler. Do I know yall from the old MDWFP or Bull forums?

Good for you EddyBo. We gotta cull a few here but no LR opportunities just 100-200 yds. Shoot some of those monsters you make.
BG

#7292049 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: EddyBo]
TATELAW Online   content
Campfire Ranger

This and Shotgunworld.com are the only hunting forums I've ever been a member of. I've just gotten back into hunting over the last 5yrs or so. I'd love to come down for a cull hunt. Doesn't your season run longer down there? Ours runs through the end of January up here.

#7293690 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: TATELAW]
Campfire Regular

Eddybo thanks for the invite. This is the only forum I have ever been on. I would love to come down and help you manage some of your herd. How far south are you? My work schedule is gonna be kinda busy but if possible maybe Roger and I can make a trip south. thanks again

#7293701 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: Winnie]
mikeymjr23 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: SEPA
Originally Posted By: Winnie1300
I don't think Brent caught two different people posted.

Roger (Tatelaw) shot a deer at a range that he was comfortable with the 7 mag... He would have used his rifle but was not comfortable at that long of a range with that rifle.

Luke (NMSSHOOTER) shot a doe but she was not found (yet) at the same range with the same rifle Roger shot his deer at.

Reading skills are very handy.

Always the peacemaker.

#7294391 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: NMSSHOOTER]
EddyBo Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: NMSSHOOTER
Eddybo thanks for the invite. This is the only forum I have ever been on. I would love to come down and help you manage some of your herd. How far south are you? My work schedule is gonna be kinda busy but if possible maybe Roger and I can make a trip south. thanks again

I am in Mccomb but the spot I invited yall to is just west of Canton about 15 miles on hwy 16. Like I said Just locked it up, no stands up but who needs stands for long crop fields. I will try to get yall a PM out the rain is murder on satellite internet

#7294411 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: schoolmarm]
EddyBo Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: schoolmarm

Good for you EddyBo. We gotta cull a few here but no LR opportunities just 100-200 yds. Shoot some of those monsters you make.
BG

You going to make it to the MOF forum get together at my place after season? We are going to break out my big cooker and we are going to have a sausage cook off. Everyone is bringing a pack of sausage from their favorite processor. we are going to have judges to determine the best. Also a couple of magnolia record scorers are supposed to be coming to score deer for folks.

#7294576 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: EddyBo]
65BR Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: NW Louisiana
Hmm, how long is the season?
Rule #1 - Destroy Vitals

#7294630 - 01/10/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: 65BR]
TATELAW Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Our season here in North MS starts in early November and runs through the end of January if you include the primitive firearm seasons. I was thinking the season started about 2 weeks later down south and ended in mid Feb. I haven't gone to the state website to check for sure.

#7300636 - 01/12/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: EddyBo]
msuhunter Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: schoolmarm

BG

You going to make it to the MOF forum get together at my place after season? We are going to break out my big cooker and we are going to have a sausage cook off. Everyone is bringing a pack of sausage from their favorite processor. we are going to have judges to determine the best. Also a couple of magnolia record scorers are supposed to be coming to score deer for folks.

When and where I want to try and make it down for this

#7301438 - 01/12/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: smokepole]
Take_a_knee Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: smokepole
[quote=BrentD] Very hard to make this post jive with your first post.

Not if you read 'em both.

Originally Posted By: BrentD Does that somehow justify a 633 yds shot? [/quote

Justify?? Why does he need to justify anything to you?

Good shootin' Tatelaw. I once was taking a ration of sh** from a guy around a campfire for missing a shot at a buck. Then, the oldest and by far most accomplished hunter there spat in the fire and said "if you ain't never missed a shot, you either haven't hunted much or ain't tryin' hard enough."

Smoke, you can't reason with a dhimmicrap. He's a "victim" of the publik skool "look and guess" reading method. He guessed. If some rich people had had more money lifted from them and thrown at his skool he likely could read better.

#7314409 - 01/15/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: Take_a_knee]
Campfire Regular

I am proud I am not the only one thought the story read complete and no contradictions. I thought that since I was there and knew the story I was reading between the lines. I guess us southern rednecks can read correctly after all.
Thanks for the comments

#7335024 - 01/19/13 Re: Got my first taste of long range hunting today [Re: NMSSHOOTER]
Campfire Regular

We got 2 more on the 17th. Mine was 480 yards and Rogers was 220. He shot first then mine stopped at 480 just a little to long for her own good. Both of these was DRT. Roger shot his with his new 257 weatherby and I shot mine with my 7rm sendero.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT SAVINGS on SUPERB TAMRON LENSES from CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
506 registered (007FJ, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17_wizzer, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 996 Guests and 331 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,269 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,515 Topics
9,931,155 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.