Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I'm very comfortable using edge stocks within the parameters set by McMillan.

"comfortable" with and as durable as standard fill is two diffent things, but I won't hold your feet to the fire.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your EDGE stock EVER fails McMillan will replace it or fix it.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by slg888
Be cool to see a strength test using one of each. I'll supply the truck if someone supplies the Edge & McSwirly.

That would be pretty darn cool. We need 2 each. One for a compression break and one for a flex break. Or maybe Dick D could save us the time cause you know he's got the results.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I'm very comfortable using edge stocks within the parameters set by McMillan.

"comfortable" with and as durable as standard fill is two diffent things, but I won't hold your feet to the fire.

If you have this much trouble with simple reading comprehension, your trouble with a minor problem in your stock is very understandable.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Typical dodge the the question response, and result to insults. Classy!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Be cool to see a strength test using one of each. I'll supply the truck if someone supplies the Edge & McSwirly.

That would be pretty darn cool. We need 2 each. One for a compression break and one for a flex break. Or maybe Dick D could save us the time cause you know he's got the results.
Not always satisfied with Mfr testing. I'd also use a Chevy/Ford, driving over a rifle stock would break Toyota tie rod ends.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If the test should ever materialize, Rick would have to pass around the Prozac.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the test should ever materialize, Rick would have to pass around the Prozac.

BS!

The OP's question was for a freaking .223. Explain to me why you'd need anything other than a EDGE with a .223.

Even if the fill used in the EDGE stocks isn't as durable (may or may not be) the material used in the shell is stiffer and more durable than that used in the standard construction stocks.
For my needs (and those of the OP) the stronger, stiffer shell combined with the weight savings inherent in EDGE stocks makes the EDGE a no-brainer.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I see it the only possible reason to order a standard construction stock would be if you couldn't live without a Swirly.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I NEVER said that an EDGE would not be sufficient. I simply said it is not a "slam dunk" decision. Less weight is not a free ride. To each his own. And by the way, the caliber has nothing to do with field abuse.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody I know of subjects his rifles to greater field abuse than Stick and IIRC he's a big fan of the EDGE.

And I'll take a stronger, stiffer shell rather than a more solid fill every time.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by nsaqam

And I'll take a stronger, stiffer shell rather than a more solid fill every time.

If the Edge shell is that much stronger than fiberglass why don't you see the Edge shell with standard fill. If McMillan could make a stronger stock for only a few dollars more wouldn't it stand to reason that they would?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The materials for the shell provide the strength and the materials for the EDGE shell is where the extra expense lie.
Fill is cheap.
Like I said, all of my EDGE stocks have been as stiff or stiffer than all of my standard construction stocks as well as being way lighter.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
McMillan constructs all there stocks using paper m�ch�.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The difference in cost between edge and standard fiberglass stocks when you add pillars to the fiberglass for an apples to apples comparison is $75. I've got to believe that if the Edge shell is significantly stronger than the fiberglass shell then you would see Edge shell with standard fill. McMillan's website says the Edge material is "inherently" more stiff, which is not much of claim.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
McMillan constructs all there stocks using paper m�ch�.

.....and Mexicans.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sweet, my fever has broke (got the crud). I'm headed outside to enjoy this 80 degree weather. And for the record, I have an MPI lightweight stock, but keep that between us. I wonder if it has popsicle fill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Inherently is a pretty strong word in my book.

As I said, the shell is where the strength in any composite stock is derived.
Fill adds very little to the strength or stiffness of a stock.
You could build a stock with no fill whatsoever and make it stiffer than any filled stock but it would require a completely encapsulated construction with the shell material spanning the action and barrel channel area. Expensive and difficult.
F1 cars have no fill. Nor do composite airframes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
One more thing, McMillan got out of the Remington KS contract, did a little marketing, and started selling old technology for more than their standard stocks. Thats all BS (or is it???)

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Nobody I know of subjects his rifles to greater field abuse than Stick and IIRC he's a big fan of the EDGE.

I'm gonna call you on this one. 'Stick hates painted stocks.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (160user, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 21 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.