Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well, several folks have posted pictures of cracked Edge's. Quqntico armorers used a old early sniper fill McMillan Hunter for a shop club for 10yrs I'm told before they broke it. YMMV.

BP-B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by nsaqam
As I see it the only possible reason to order a standard construction stock would be if you couldn't live without a Swirly.

Or you like a balanced rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my rifles are superbly balanced and one has a 19oz. stock and a 22" barrel at .600".

But then I don't do heavy contours. #2 and KS at the biggest.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Well, several folks have posted pictures of cracked Edge's. Quqntico armorers used a old early sniper fill McMillan Hunter for a shop club for 10yrs I'm told before they broke it. YMMV.

Did a Google Custom search of 24HCF and couldn't find a single post about a cracked EDGE.
Please provide a link if possible.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've read about more than one. If you want to read 'em, you do the digging.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've read about unicorns and leprechauns--no need to dig around for the truth on those either. Can an Edge fill stock crack? Sure it can, but is it a concern? After all the miles I've logged with them I gotta say you'll read a lot more about them than you will ever experience.......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Nice try.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I found this thread in less than 30 seconds. Interesting, the crack is in an area that Manners saw fit to install standard fill. The everloving Big Stick said to send it back and get a swirly. Too funny!

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4957034/1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Edge has been very good to me. So have standard/mag fill swirls. If you're expecting to use it as a truck crossing, I'd recommend sniper fill with some rebar reinforcement molded in. If you're going to use it on a lightweight hunting rifle, I don't think you can do better than an Edge. I don't know if one is stonger or weaker than the other, but I think Edge is "strong enough, plus some" for my use.

The pic that ctsmith posted would be on the way back to McMillan. I think McMillan would like to learn from any problems and would appreciate getting it back. It looks a void to me...I'd think it could happen with any fill, but I could be wrong....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I think Edge is "strong enough, plus some" for my use.

This is saying a lot coming from a man who goes through Talley LW's faster than cheap underwear. We know if it can be broke you are the man grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My lite-weight 7.9 lb rifle with a #3 barrel! If I threw on some cheap Talley's it would weigh 7.3 lbs, though personally I cannot tell the difference in a few oz, nor want/need a rifle under 8lbs.

I know everyone has there own opinion what they consider lite-weight is, but 7.5-8.5 lbs makes for a good hunting & range gun. Then again, I'm not climbing Mnt McKinley.

Unless your using the stock for a deer drag, both Edge/McSwirly will last a life-time.

My 7.9 lb ever-lasting paint job..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by slg888; 01/13/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Nice try.

You're FOS. If you really believed the schit you're peddling you'll pull one of your Edges off of an action, find an oak tree and start knocking the [bleep] out of it. You CAN do that with a sniper fill Mickey, cause its BEEN DONE.

For hunting use, does any of this matter, with reasonable care? Probably not. But anyone that thinks a skim of carbon fiber over foam is as strong as the way the mickey sniper stocks are made, as many have suggested in this thread, is an idiot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throw one of those sniper fill McMillan's on a lightweight barreled action and you truly are an idiot.

But we already knew that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Skim over foam"..

That was funny.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
"Skim over foam"..

That was funny.

Not for TAK but he's a dumbshitt.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I think Edge is "strong enough, plus some" for my use.

This is saying a lot coming from a man who goes through Talley LW's faster than cheap underwear. We know if it can be broke you are the man grin

You don't realize how how well timed that was...I thought I might have run through another pair yesterday! Heading in before light I slipped and dropped my rifle about 8 feet off a ledge onto rock...I almost followed it... Cracked the BC cover on the front objective, scratched the stock paint (Edge) a bit, and added some "character" to the cerakote on the barrel. Scope looked ok and the Talley's looked fine. Hunted with it yesterday as I was 1/2 way up the mountain...but I'll not use it again this season until I can check the zero.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slg888

[Linked Image]

Nice Rifle Rest, and rifle wink

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by slg888

[Linked Image]

Nice Rifle Rest, and rifle wink

Cliff, it's near perfect 'cept for the Murphy mount. Stoney shoulda ponied-up some $ and bought something decent to secure the alpha glass. I mean why skimp there? grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Can't say it hesitate to throw an edge stocked rifle down a slope. The rifle and glass will be [bleep] but I can bet the edge will get bolted to another rifle.

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Can't say it hesitate to throw an edge stocked rifle down a slope. The rifle and glass will be [bleep] but I can bet the edge will get bolted to another rifle.

For sure, an Edge ain't gonna be the weak link in the chain...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.