Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just got a Ruger American in 243.I have brass that was fired in a different Ruger and FL sized.Not loaded or primed but has been trimmed.They chamber ok but the bolt has to be closed with some effort.Is this safe to use?Will the brass ,size itself to my new rifles chamber? Virgin brass chambers just fine

With the once fired brass and virgin brass being chambered something is taking a small chip out of the mouth of the brass.Should I send the rifle back or is it something a smith could easily fix?

HR IC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you're feeding empties from the magazine you have no problem, the mouths are simply hitting the rear edge of the chamber, they won't do that with a bullet to guide them in.

You can't reload fired brass without sizing it so do a proper FL sizing and it will fit fine and it won't matter what it was previously fired it.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
They have been FL sized and not feeding from magazine but put straight into chamber by hand.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
ttt

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As you probably know, not all chambers are cut equally. FL dies resize the case, but not to SAAMI minimum or even close, in most cases. Depending on how you set up the sizing die, the cases may not have been fully sized. You may have to set the die closer to or on the shell holder to ensure adequate sizing of cases for use in the new rifle.

I would use the existing sized brass for load development. I would buy new brass for use in hunting loads and when sizing fired brass, ensure the die is set up properly to be sure that things don't go sideways in the field. Such fired and properly resized brass should fit much better in your camber.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Set you're die to cam over (1/4 turn past point of contact with shell holder) then size a couple making sure you bottom out the press stroke (all the way)..Do they chamber now?

Last edited by MuleyFan; 01/11/13.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
Set you're die to cam over (1/4 turn past point of contact with shell holder) then size a couple making sure you bottom out the press stroke (all the way)..Do they chamber now?

Will try that tomorrow......thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Assuming that the brass is of a proper length, if it takes a bit of extra effort to close the bolt, don't worry about it. After you've fired it in the new chamber it will be fine.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sometimes I have a hard time explaining things on the net... With my advice above you will feel and see the shell holder contact the die before the press is all the way through the stroke..Keep pushing down on the handle, you will feel it go past (cam over) until you complete a full stroke of the press... Hope you understand this, hard for me to explain..

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Assuming that the brass is of a proper length, if it takes a bit of extra effort to close the bolt, don't worry about it. After you've fired it in the new chamber it will be fine.

Brass has been trimmed so I think I will go ahead and load as is if there wont be any pressure problems

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[quote=MuleyFan]Sometimes I have a hard time explaining things on the net...

Dont worry....I understood what you were saying

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
How about the second question........what could be causing the nick at the case mouth?Is there a burr or something?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you still get a nick in the brass if you hand feed into chamber and close bolt over cartridge ?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
Do you still get a nick in the brass if you hand feed into chamber and close bolt over cartridge ?

Yes....thats the way I have been doing it.I havent tried feeding from magazine yet.I ran a loaded round through it today to see what happened.There must be a burr in there.The bullet was scratched from tip to base.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just turn the die down a little at a time until they chamber easily. No need to over size if you don't need to. The brass should then fit fine from there on in. Cam-over is usually unnecessary and works brass too much. I only have one rifle that needs as much sizing as the die can give. The rest vary a bit.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What stillbeeman said! powdr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
355 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 37 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.