Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Agreed, Theres plenty of good cops out there. Nobody writes about them they just b1tch about the bad ones.

Very correct. If a cop is professional and conducts himself respectfully, you never hear about it.
Like my thread here- if that cop was doing his job without the interrogation questioning after the explanation of why I was there, my truck checked out fine, my ID checked out fine, no outstanding warrants, etc... it would have never occurred to me to mention it here.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 01/11/13.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
Let me relate what happened to me a few months back. Driving from our farm to town with my wife when I got pulled over. The State officer came up to my window whner I had both my drivers license and my carry permit out of mt wallet.

Officer, "Good afternoon, may I see your license."

Me' Good afternoon Officer. I have a concealed carry permit and I am carrying today."

Officer, "Where."

Me' "Right hip."

Officer, "Fine, just leave it there. I stopped you because you have a break light out. You might want to get it fixed. Have a good day."

I am grateful every day I live in the Pac NW.

Got to ask. Why would you tell the officer you are carrying? It's really none of their business unless they ask if you are armed.

Questions that do not pertain to why I have been stopped, such as, where are you going, really bother me. I tell them the following. Your question officer, does not pertain to the matter of why you stopped me. Not that I have been stopped much but the officers I have made this statement to really had no reaction and stopped questioning.

Like the OP, my interaction with police officers over the past few years left me feeling the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Swampman700
[quote=Swampman700]cops are all ass holes.

Thanks for making it readable.....

good and bad in every profession...

I don't have a profession, I have a job. I need to money to pay the frivilous tickets written by ass holes.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

you were too stupid too...had to show the world what a jackass you really are...glad to help with that.

good and bad in every profession...you exemplify the bad in yours apparently.

Need not have bothered, we already knew.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Got stopped in Texas some years back. Cop started to lecture me. I asked him if he was going to write me a citation. He said yes. I said fine. You can give me a ticket or a lecture, but I didn't have to put up with both. I rolled my window up on him.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cops are ass holes.

you are what comes out..........for making a blanket statement like that

I'll go a +1 on that one. Lots of friends that are LE. Brother is too. There ARE a number of them out there who truly are a-holes, but, a whole lot more that are not. Kinda like saying all firemen are arsonists......

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nathanial

Got to ask. Why would you tell the officer you are carrying? It's really none of their business unless they ask if you are armed.

Questions that do not pertain to why I have been stopped, such as, where are you going, really bother me. I tell them the following. Your question officer, does not pertain to the matter of why you stopped me. Not that I have been stopped much but the officers I have made this statement to really had no reaction and stopped questioning.

Like the OP, my interaction with police officers over the past few years left me feeling the same.

In some states it is mandatory, in others it is a courtesy. If he would have run my license he would have known. It was my choice to let him know beforehand. He did not run my license and instead of giving me a load of crap or a ticket he let me know I had a light out and wished me a good day.

So, how was I wrong and how did it cost me?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott F
So, how was I wrong and how did it cost me?

Wasn't & it didn't. Most (not saying all) that I've talked to appreciate the gesture. The folks that hand them a CCW with their license and make it known that they are a carrier or are carrying aren't generally the type of people waiting for a clear shot at them.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by nathanial
Got to ask. Why would you tell the officer you are carrying?

For me, it's because that's the law in OH:

Originally Posted by Ohio's CCW Laws and Application, p.14
If a person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun as a CCW licensee, whether in a motor vehicle or not, he shall inform the law enforcement officer that he is carrying a concealed handgun. If in a vehicle, the licensee shall remain in the vehicle and keep his hands in plain sight at all times. Violating this section of law is a first-degree misdemeanor, and in addition to any other penalty handed down by a court, may result in the suspension of the person�s concealed handgun license for one year.

However, if at the time of the stop the law enforcement officer or an employee of a motor carrier enforcement unit who made the stop had actual knowledge that the licensee has had a CCW license, then the person�s CCW license shall not be suspended for a violation of ORC 2923.16(E)(3). The CCW licensee�s violation will be considered a minor misdemeanor.

I'm inclined to give a cop the benefit of the doubt. I'll keep my hands on the wheel, tell him/her I've got a license & I'm carrying, & ask what instructions that have for me. At this point, I will have done all I can do to put them at ease in a situation where they have no idea what they'll encounter. My bet is that they'll appreciate the gesture, & dispense with any attitude because they know that I'm a good guy, & I'm trying to make their job easier.

I could be wrong, & run into the odd officer with too much purpose in his/her life, or Short Penis Syndrome, or whatever. But I'm betting I'll be right more often than I'm wrong.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Funny!

As two words (correctly), it's OK.

As one "word," it's [bleep] � but not for any "grammatical" reason, of course.

Makes sense! Just like our old high-school librarian who so assiduously black-Sharpied-over the "bad words" in one book that she thus censored-out a reference to a prospector's jackass.

Automatic, mechanical censoring can sure mess things things up. Why, right here on the 'fire, we can't use the Latin word for with (as in " � graduated Magna cum laude from � ") or the common name for the several species of willow (Salix) that are known for their kitten-like catkins. Yet of course we can freely insult, slur, and calumniate each other with impunity.

Ain'tcha glad that we're so civilized?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Texas DPS Troopers or Highway Patrolmen treat you better here in TX when they find out you have a CHL Permit. I've yet to get a speeding ticket in the 17 years since I got my CHL.

Once they see my permit, it's usually "you need to slow down a little" laugh

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/11/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bleeps are fun. We have a tree in front of our house that sprouts fuzzy blooms this time of year. It is of the smaller species of the genus Salix (willows and sallows) but if I type the common name Pussy Willow... Well you see the results. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott, I think you are talking about a cat tree, right? whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Very good friend and hunter in our camp is young enough to be the baby in my family just got a job as LEO. Guy is 6'XX" and has always wanted to be a LEO because of what he went through in high school. His theory is that he doesn't want to give kids a bad taste for cops unless they REALLY screw up and they he will put the fear of ... in them. Guy is so tall that the county had to order his *jacket* special order. He started the state academy on Monday and cannot wait to talk to him to see what kind of guys he is going through the course with. One super cool kid and I wish him the best. Guys like him few and far between but gets to work in the mountains so is in his own.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Scott, I think you are talking about a cat tree, right? whistle

Yep.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
With those phcuking plates....I'd have written you a ticket.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BlackFrog...

I can see where you were frustrated, but comparing a cop NOT giving you a ticket to the Nazis shows either a tragic misunderstanding of history or a gross overestimation of the seriousness of your situation.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 1920s, the cop in little Calera, Alabama, had it in for college boys � would ticket 'em for "speeding," whatever their actual vehicular velocity was.

Until a bunch of Auburn students, on their way to Birmingham for a ball game, stopped just outside Calera, pushed their silent car past the smoldering cop, and cranked it up again as soon as they got out of town.

I'm sure that the drive through Calera must be longer now, and for sure cars are heavier today. They weren't much heavier than buggies in those days.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
BlackFrog...

I can see where you were frustrated, but comparing a cop NOT giving you a ticket to the Nazis shows either a tragic misunderstanding of history or a gross overestimation of the seriousness of your situation.

I said the Nazi style of over reaching questioning that had nothing to do with the situation,

Where are you going?
Where are you coming from?
Where do you work?
What street is it on?

None of which are any of his business.
Maybe you're ok with that type of questioning to avoid a ticket, but I am not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alays have supported LE wherever we have lived and gladly still do so, but that does not mean I have not encountered a few nasty jerks along the way.

But - this is typical for me: Driving home from airport (200 miles) alone, returning from a family funeral and the last 100 miles are through big lonely country. Just before dark, almost home and eager to get there, and just flying - had no idea how fast I was driving. Rounding a sweeping mountain curve an oncoming state police guy hit me with instant-on radar and my detector buzzed at the same time I saw him flashing his lights at me. Looked at the speedo - triple digits - so I just slowed down and pulled off the road, opened my door, put my feet out on the step bar and just waited.

He came back to the scene, walked up, engaged me in talking to check for drunk, asked if I had a firearm in the truck, and I told him yes, two. The .45 on the dash board and my wife's .38 in the console. He asked why my wife didn't have it and I told him she was left behind an airplane ride away after a funeral. He asked if I was returning from the funeral - yes.

He took all of the usual paperwork back to his car, soon returned and told me that I have a clean record and he is not going to spoil it with this incident, especially since I am local - wrote me a warning but told me that I just cannot drive that big Dodge that fast, even if I am upset and chasing home. Asked me to give my word that I would drive more slowly. I did, and have ever since.

Typical for most out here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.