Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How does the Laser Bore Sighter work?

Will this one work in a Winchester Model 70 .257 Roberts?

Link to Bushnell Laser Boresighter

I found this

Youtube on bore sighter

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 01/12/13.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks very similar to the one I have and I use mine for everything from 22lr on up. Just pick the right size tip to put on the end, stick it down the barrel, and adjust your scope till the crosshairs are on the red dot. Won't be perfect, but should get you on paper at 100yds.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Looks very similar to the one I have and I use mine for everything from 22lr on up. Just pick the right size tip to put on the end, stick it down the barrel, and adjust your scope till the crosshairs are on the red dot. Won't be perfect, but should get you on paper at 100yds.

Sounds good.

Until I saw the video I thought it went in the breech end (like the ones that are fitted in dummy cartridges) and it did not look like it would fit.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I am curious, why do you want one?
Unless you are changing scopes out a lot, I don't see the reason to buy a bore sighter. You can look down the barrel and sight your scope in pretty close. You would only be saving one or two shots while sighting your gun if after that with a bore sighter.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ndhill1976
I am curious, why do you want one?
Unless you are changing scopes out a lot, I don't see the reason to buy a bore sighter. You can look down the barrel and sight your scope in pretty close. You would only be saving one or two shots while sighting your gun if after that with a bore sighter.

I do have several rifles to sight in and I like to swap scopes. And I find it hard to sight in the older Weavers that I like on my older rifles:

[Linked Image]

Also, without a good way to clamp my rifle down it is hard for me to sight through the bore.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Will this one work in a Winchester Model 70 .257 Roberts?

Link to Bushnell Laser Boresighter

I found this

Youtube on bore sighter

It Doesn't Work! Don't waste your money!

Pull the bolt out of your Winchester & look down the bore. Line up the bore with a 6" target @ 50 yards. Then adjust your scope to line up with the Target. Works Every Time.....

I can sight in ANY of my bolt action rifles within 3 or 4 shots using this simple method.

I'm always amazed at hunters who have their gun "bore sighted" at the dealer they bought it with, then go hunting, thinking they are sighted in. Then they wonder why they miss wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I can sight in ANY of my bolt action rifles within 3 or 4 shots using this simple method.

That would work, but I have trouble getting off more than two shots from my dining room table.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chlin is right though.

Bought one of these boresighters to try because it was like $10 and I find it close to useless.
I do much better with the looking down the bore method.

My kids like to use it as a laser pointer though.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any sort of bore-sighter (or collimator, if you prefer that term) is useful for more than sighting-in. Obviously anybody can bore-sight their rifle at the range before touching off any shots, but a bore-sighter helps when mounting scopes, by making sure the scope's center is reasonably lined up with the bore.

This not only provides the maximum amount of adjustment, but scope adjustments work more accurately and repeatably when the scope's lined up with the bore. There also can be parallax problems if this isn't done.

I was once lucky enough to have a workshop with window where I could aim a scoped rifle in my bench-vise so that the scope (or sights) lined up on the tip of the neighbor's roof. That would bypass the use of a collimator for mounting scopes, but I've yet to have the same sort of set-up since--and most people don't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was once lucky enough to have a workshop with window where I could aim a scoped rifle in my bench-vise so that the scope (or sights) lined up on the tip of the neighbor's roof.

How many shots could you get off before the neighbor got upset?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boresight at home, sight in by shooting at the range.

But you knew that.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was once lucky enough to have a workshop with window where I could aim a scoped rifle in my bench-vise so that the scope (or sights) lined up on the tip of the neighbor's roof.

How many shots could you get off before the neighbor got upset?

Laffin! Sucks to live in town, guys. Im pretty lucky here at the Ranch. My closest neighbors house is 5 miles down the road, and I couldn't hit his house with a 50 cal Barrett cool

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Not very well!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Last Fall I zeroed 3 rifles with new or different scopes on them. I bore sighted them by looking through the bore. These are the 50 yard targets with the 1st shot fired. Shot #2 was at 100 yards. After making a few minor adjustments the 3rd shot was exactly where I wanted it at 100 yards. Only then do I start shooting groups. Can't see where one of these devices would ever save me 1 minute of my time or 1 round of ammo.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was motivated to try a bore sighter because for whatever reason I could not get on paper with my 1949 Weaver K 2.5 on my Model 70

This internet article is interesting:

Bore sighting-How High at 25 feet?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use the looking down the bore method and it gets me on paper at 100 fine. Not as close as JMR40, but close enough.

I have considered buy a bore sighter to keep in the truck when hunting. If I drop the rifle I was hoping that the boresighter would tell me if I had a radical change in zero. You folks with boresighters.. is this practical?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you know what a lazer bore sighter is good for?? setting up a chronograph. I just take a target and put it behind the chrono and its a snap, just remember to take it back out.

as for sighting in the scope forget it. I have one of the old school bushnell bore sighters that uses the different size spuds and you can see a grid, this would work great sometimes and others I would totally be off the paper. I have a house behind me that is about a 100 yards away one of the lights on the side of the garage works great to line up with bore with and then the scope, this is mounted in a cheap lyman gun vice. works great everytime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Something that I have never been able to make proper use of is a reticle leveler. (I have many faults; this is but one of them.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Something that I have never been able to make proper use of is a reticle leveler. (I have many faults; this is but one of them.)

Try the Reticle-Tru from Jerry.

Find it here.

http://parabola-llc.com/

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
nsaqam - thanks for the suggestion. My problems always seem to revolve around these things: knowing whether or not I have the rifle square with the world, if I do believe that I have it square with the world finding out that when I shoulder it comfortably, it is no longer square with the world, and tightening Weaver rings. (That probably just indicates how hopeless I am.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,076
Posts18,463,825
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.