Hop To
#7295573 01/10/13
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Was up dropping off a gun at an older gunsmiths shop that is WAY out in the mountains...and is on top of a mountain. During the summer the dirt road is really bad and in the spring you don't want to go the last 4 miles without a 4-wheel drive...

Finished the business with the rifle to be dropped off and started looking around at the two dozen or so older guns he had on the wall...and in the last rack was a Marlin Mountie.

Had a military leather sling in nice shape and an original 60s vintage Marlin scope...that matched the "Y" 1964 prefix of the serial number.

Overall the gun was very clean. There was some very light rust on some of the barrel but the receiver was clean. The stock had no dings or dents...

I've had two Mounties in the past and have been looking for a Carbine but the asking price for a nice Carbine is double what he was asking for this gun so I bought it...

After the purchase the smith told me that the gun had just come in yesterday...it was a one owner gun and the 96 year old owner had just asked him to sell it for him yesterday.

I'll probably take the scope and base off and put a Williams Receive Sight on that was on a TD that I sold last year...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure Weaver made the scopes for Marlin and thought I had some caps at home that would fit on the turrets...then in looking this scope was made not to have caps over the adjustment screws...

...so I am a 39 owner again.....this will be a nice match to a 60s vintage .35 Remington 336CS and 1894/.41s that sit in the safe...

I know Macky has a Mountie...who else out there has one...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You can sell that Mountie to me soon - when you turn '96'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought mine from a campfire member in OR. It has the William rear peep and also has a red FO front sight. It is a nifty rifle. I believe I like my std 39 a little mo' better ... more heft. Wish it was an older one like the mountie though. It a newer pre Remlim rebounding crossbolt safety rifle that everyone says sux ... everyone by me smile I like the longer sight radius (Skinner peep) and heft. But with that said, if I EVER get back east for squirrel hunting, I don't think I'll feel outta place with either in hand. smile

edited to add

Its not for sale .... the MRS about had a cow when I mentioned trading it for a 82G

Last edited by avagadro; 01/10/13.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
VERY nice!

Mine was a pawn shop find for $250.00 about ten years ago, complete with a Lyman receiver sight.

And no, it's not for sale. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been wanting one for a while now.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nice guys....

Cleaned up the scope last night and got all the dust and crap off the front lens...actually cleaned up real nice. This morning took the gun outside and the little scope is actually brighter and clearer than the 3/4" tube cheepo I have looked through the last few years...

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have said this on here before. My 1960 Mountie with Redfield 70 and sourdough sits in a rack next to a Cooper 22. I think I would sell the Cooper before I would let the old 39 go, and that's a mouthful.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
VERY nice!

Mine was a pawn shop find for $250.00 about ten years ago, complete with a Lyman receiver sight.

And no, it's not for sale. grin

Ed

But I'll give you $251.99 and I'll throw in some walnuts... whistle

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one, found it at a pawn shop last year...cool rifle.

Dave

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

That looks nice! You know I have a little cowgirl that would love to talk you out of that!

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Posted this gun over on the Marlin forums and received this back on the scope from one of the members over there...

"FYI According to Nick Stroebel's book "Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes"page 557 Marlin scopes were made by Wollensak of New York in the 1930's but were dropped with the onslought of WW2.However production was resumed in 1958 by The Soverign Instrument Co.of Dallas Tx. and was continued untill 1986."

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mac...she is just trying to use that smile to get another Mountie into your family...can't fool me...

She is a great Kid!!

Bob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.