Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I've got both, a 1,500 dollar hearing aid, and two each of the high end Walker pro's.

1) Normal hearing aid's don't compress sound (lower big loud noises - they just don't amp them.

2) Walkers quality is no where near the functions or quality response of in the professional grade hearing aids. They also add some delay to the playing of sound so it can compress loud noises - however if you use it in one ear only then you hear a sound and think it's in front of you but it's to your left if you have the walker in your right ear. So you have to get two each to not loose the sound direction.

I keep hearing people say oh these walkers are good as normal aids - no, they aren't bad, but they aren't as good either. Walkers may have other professional grade hearing aids but they aren't the ones I see that compress loud sounds.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wear open ear type aids. Those don't have anything in the ear other than a little plastic vane to hold it in place. They suppress nothing at all. For noise suppression, you have to have something that completely blocks the ear.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RC, ask your audiologist if your aids can be fitted with a solid canal plug and tuned for gunfire suppression. Many hearing aids can be - and then just by switching tips, you have the best of both.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm due for a new pair. I'll check on that when the time comes. Thanks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
After a lifetime of hunting, shooting, and carpentry my dad finally got hearing aids. Fortunately he got them before he retired so insurance paid for digital in ear hearing aids that also function as hearing protection. He still hates them, but they work pretty well in both roles.

I am free only because thousands of brave Americans have given their lives' for me.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have the kind that do suppress sound over a given dB but they still do not work for shooting as there is a hole through the ear piece for pressure changes.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
S
I am familiar with both the Walkers Game Ear and conventional hearing aids. Comparing these two are like comparing apples and kangaroos. They are simply not the same thing. Walker's Game Ear is designed to enhance normal hearing. It is a hunting device that will assist by amplifying ambient sound while supressing loud noise in order to protect your hearing. A hearing aid is programed specifically to the loss of the patient. It is not designed to protect and should not be worn during any kind of shooting or high decible noise activity. The Walker Game Ear is a great product when used correctly.
Walker does make a hearing aid. It is not the Walker's Game Ear. They sell them in Cabela's. I called the local store and there are 5 locations that sell hearing aids. (Hamburg, PA., Dundee, MI., Kansas City, KS., Fort Worth, TX., and Glendale, AZ.)They also offer a free hearing test.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Welcome aboard, shootergirl. Very sound advice (puns are always intended) for most hearing aids. There are some that can do double duty, however, and are designed as such. The difficulty is finding an audiologist who "speaks shooting" and can properly tune your device. Few if any chain hearing aid sellers can do this; an independent audiologist is needed.

By way of introduction, I'm not an audiologist but I did work in the hearing protection industry for 15 years, including both passive and electronic protection for shooters. You seem to be at least as well informed and the board members will benefit from your expertise.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is a timely thread for me. Going in for a new set of hearing aids and was wondering about the sound limiting ability.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.