Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by DEER_ASSASSIN
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

imagine someone going to where you live and wanted to shoot a nice 4x4 whitetail, doesn't have to be a B&C, but they want a nice one. what would your response be? pretty much the same as it is out here.

grin grin

I would NOT lie but would NOT suggest 'where' I hunt.

I'd suggest some 'other' area with good population 'not close' to mine. smile

i never asked for specific units or locations my question was about states and the availability of tags, any other info is always appreciated it is not like I will be up there all the time at the rate now once every 10 years. Truth be told we may just hook up with the land owner in NM outside of clayton and go there again but i really like to try something new like Mule Deer

From what I have seen from New Mexico in 2005 antelope hunting the west is pretty wide freaking open

I would think that 10 years' bonus points would be sufficient to get you in a trophy mule deer area. There are only a few trophy mule deer areas in CA, and getting drawn for one ain't easy.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
we are not so much interested in a trophy but a place with a good herd

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
north western panhandle oklahoma

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Just about anyplace in the west has mule deer herds. It's being able to find a buck during hunting season that's difficult. You can kill a buck within 50 miles of downtown LA -the way the crow flies- but you will work for it and it won't be much over 125lbs. The San Gabriel Mountains has lots of deer, bear, & mountain lions. But they're straight up & straight down. They are more rugged than the Rocky Mountains. But you can hunt deer in the morning and spend the rest of the day at Disneyland.

Deer Hunting San Gabriel Mountains

Last edited by Laguna; 01/16/13.
PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Laguna

Just about anyplace in the west has mule deer herds. It's being able to find a buck during hunting season that's difficult. You can kill a buck within 50 miles of downtown LA -the way the crow flies- but you will work for it and it won't be much over 125lbs. The San Gabriel Mountains has lots of deer, bear, & mountain lions. But they're straight up & straight down. They are more rugged than the Rocky Mountains. But you can hunt deer in the morning and spend the rest of the day at Disneyland.

Thanks for the info. Not real sure that it's any help though. Let me clarify a little bit so you don't have to waste anymore time. DA is asking about the starting place for a DIY hunt. A state that.
A) Has a mule deer herd
B) Sells over the counter buck tags or has a group / party application
C) Preferably with public land

I will go ahead and tell you CA, OR, and WA are not on the list. Thanks for suggesting Dsneyland but Disneyworld is much superior.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by PMC

Thanks for the info. Not real sure that it's any help though. Let me clarify a little bit so you don't have to waste anymore time. DA is asking about the starting place for a DIY hunt. A state that.
A) Has a mule deer herd

I will go ahead and tell you CA, OR, and WA are not on the list. Thanks for suggesting Dsneyland but Disneyworld is much superior.

CA fits his bill.

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PMC

A) Has a mule deer herd

CA fits his bill.

Thank you again for the suggestion. But since I will be the one hunting with him if we do this. CA, OR and WA do not fit my bill.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PMC

A) Has a mule deer herd

Using that criteria, I would suggest you take a look at the southern 1/2 of Idaho as your first choice. Not all units are OTC, but many are. It's some neat country and the deer can be found at many elevations as well. Lots of public land. Another bonus, if you see one, you can instead use that buck tag on a wolf or black bear!

UT also meets that criteria, but IMO, the deer hunting for the OTC units is way worse and the season's very short making for lots of pressure.

Used to MT wasn't really OTC, but it was this year as they had leftover tags. I will be going back to MT someday, but I'm hoping for a couple of mild winters before doing that.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Montana usually has OTC deer tags available that are left over after the draw........but they ain't cheap!! We hunted there this last deer season and shot 4 bucks.......3 mulies and 1 white tail.

If you decide to hunt there, you should investigate the Block Management Program. Ranchers participate in this program, and allow hunters to hunt on their private property at no charge. The state pays the ranchers to participate. The program is very easy to use and there are some monster mule deer to be had on the ranches.

There is a lot of public land available to hunt in Montana, and lots of mule deer available there as well.

One of the best things about mule deer hunting in Montana is that you get to hunt during the rut !!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You'll see alot of game and have a great time with this outfitter: www.huntsd.net

TR

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
IC B3

M
M
Idaho. Has plenty of units with OTC tags. We used them this year in central Idaho and did very well during the first week of the season. However, we did see more mountain goats than mulie bucks. Hunted around 9-10,000' and shot a 163" 30" 4x4 and a 192" 6x7. Light pressure early in the year as most seam to wait till later in the season and wait for the deer to get lower. The big guys are the last out of the higher elevations.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.