Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, so here is the deal. I have been testing some .44 mag loads (JHP, JHC, Full jacket, etc,) The full jacketed 240 grain bullet was VERY accurate at 50 yards. I was wondering if anybody has ever deer hunted with a FMJ round in a pistol. I am leary of using it but wondered if it might work?

What say ya'll.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can find them the 240 grain soft point is all you need to kill anything in the lower 48 including the baddest bears you ever were to run into.

Save the heavier stuff to prove your manhood or kill T Rex.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know all of the states' game laws but most I've read do not allow FMJ ammo for hunting.

Assuming one does, if the FMJ was a flat point then it would act about the same as a hard cast bullet with a similar size meplat at similar velocity.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I don't know all of the states' game laws but most I've read do not allow FMJ ammo for hunting.

Assuming one does, if the FMJ was a flat point then it would act about the same as a hard cast bullet with a similar size meplat at similar velocity.

OK, let's settle this bit of mis-information in the United States all handgun ammo that is legally sold int his country meets the legal definition of an"expanding bullet". Under the Obama administration the ATF has shut down the production at Barnes and other maker of any "solids" that are made for rifle calibers that also have handgun cartridges in the same calibers

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
240jsp Winchester white box, one shot at 80ish yards....10 yard dash.

[Linked Image]

Killed another with the hardcast fat meplat, very dead, but for deer, I choose the jsp. Never used a hp although I carried them many a time and would use it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They would but most meplats are smaller on jacketed.
There are some good 240 gr that open too fast at .44 mag velocities and limit penetration plus can leave poor blood trails. The 240 XTP never made me happy because I recovered all of them. They did kill fine but little blood on the ground and had I not seen the deer fall, I might have lost them. Other brands work better but I would choose the 300 gr XTP.
You don't need any expansion with the .44 as long as you use a WLN or WFN. I found a heavier boolit from 310 to 330 gr works best.
Or find a 240 with controlled expansion so they poke two holes. You do not want a big bone hit or a quartering shot to stop a bullet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by derby_dude
If you can find them the 240 grain soft point is all you need to kill anything in the lower 48 including the baddest bears you ever were to run into.

Please support this statement with personal accounts of where you have used one in the field. Pics would be great if you have them.

Thanks.

MAGA
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Please support this statement with personal accounts of where you have used one in the field. Pics would be great if you have them.

Thanks.

I have shot a lot of big game with a revolver including grizzly bears in Alaska and while I believe that a 240 grain bullet can work it is really on the marginal side, especialy if the 240's are a bit soft.

They would also be very marginal on Moose in my experience.

Have you ever used the 240's to take large big game?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Only big game I've taken with my .44 was a black bear with a fairly modest 240 grain swc. Performance was adequate, the bear died. grin

My contention was not that 240 grian softpoint would be inadequate, but rather the poster I quoted has a habit of posting on topics with which he has no experience.

MAGA
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice shooting with that 329!

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Only big game I've taken with my .44 was a black bear with a fairly modest 240 grain swc. Performance was adequate, the bear died. grin

My contention was not that 240 grian softpoint would be inadequate, but rather the poster I quoted has a habit of posting on topics with which he has no experience.

Exactly but a large Moose or Alaskan brown bear upwards of 1000 pounds in not as easy to penetrate as a 250 or so pound black bear is my point

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And based on information that I have learned from people like yourself, and my own testing and experience I carry the 270 Speer when I'm packing my .44 places I might need to shoot something bigger than 250 lbs or so.

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
havent shot a bear or a moose with my .44mag. but have shot a ton of big pigs with 240 gr.jacketed soft point and it works like a charm. never seen the shoulder plate i couldnt shoot thru. i would have to say a 2" to 3" thick shoulder plate on a 300# boar is a pretty good test.rio7

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Which 240 JSP? They are not all created equal IME the Remington version out penetrate the white box Winchester version although I would expect either to work on hogs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes, please qualify these statements.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

OK, let's settle this bit of mis-information in the United States all handgun ammo that is legally sold int his country meets the legal definition of an"expanding bullet". Under the Obama administration the ATF has shut down the production at Barnes and other maker of any "solids" that are made for rifle calibers that also have handgun cartridges in the same calibers

OK, let's settle this bit of mis-information. The Game and Fish Departments of most states could care less that "all handgun ammo that is legally sold int his country meets the legal definition of an"expanding bullet"." The regs in many states clearly state that Full Metal Jacket ammunition is not allowed for hunting.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by jwp475

OK, let's settle this bit of mis-information. The Game and Fish Departments of most states could care less that "all handgun ammo that is legally sold int his country meets the legal definition of an"expanding bullet"." The regs in many states clearly state that Full Metal Jacket ammunition is not allowed for hunting.

I tend to not agree with your take on the subject, first do know the legal definition of FMJ and the fact is that FMJ handgun ammo can and often does deform. If the handgun bullets are of the legal definition of expanding, theny why would you assume them to be illegal?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, guys back to my original post. Not talking soft points, talking the FMJ or FMC or whatever you call it. Anybody shot deer, hogs or bears with them.

Thanks,

DR

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
OK, guys back to my original post. Not talking soft points, talking the FMJ or FMC or whatever you call it. Anybody shot deer, hogs or bears with them.

Thanks,

DR
I haven't, but the issue in many cases, is penetration. Since the Full Metal Case bullets would probably penetrate farther than jacketed or hollow point bullets meant to expand, why would they not be appropriate? If you've got hogs around you, that's a great test medium.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Can't offer evidence here.Co clearly states FMJ are prohibited for hunting. No mattter if they expand or not.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.