Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This is from a trip over a month ago, but I've had an extremely busy time.

I, an uncle and a friend had our first guided trip. Neither my friend or my uncle had ever fished with rod and reel before and I have just started learning the fish of the Gulf. I have fished in Peru, and our fish and ocean waters are a little different.

We worked the birds on Sabine Lake for a while, my uncle and friend used live shrimp under a cork and I used a Mirrolure TopDog in white/redhead. My uncle got a nice trout, but too close to 15� to call it legal, so it got thrown back. I had a couple of strikes on the topwater and finally was able to hook one, and while reeling in had a second trout strike that same lure! I only managed to pull one out and it had the 3 hooks of the treble in its mouth.
My uncle's first fish on rod and reel
[Linked Image]

We got some more hits from trout, but it was really slow and small ones.
[Linked Image]
We tried for flounder and caught small ones on live shrimp. I used a pearl/chart 3� Gulp shrimp, but none were keepers, most in the 12-13" range.
Got a big hit on a rod and my friend wanted to catch something �on his own� so I left my rod and Gulp in the bottom and fought the fish for a few minutes, nice fight until the line broke� dang�

While analyzing if it was the knot my abandoned gulp had been taken and the fish was not stopping. Line peeling of the reel and I worked the fish for a good 5 minutes until we see a big redfish tailing� more fight ensued until I landed my first ever redfish, 26� inches and I couldn�t be happier. Pictures and jokes about me not really catching it, because my rod was "abandoned".

[Linked Image]

Then there is another BIG hit on another rod, I told my friend to go fight that one since he had not caught anything. While talking him on how to do it and still working my rod I hoked up on something that wanted to toss me into the water� line coming off like crazy and I am just enjoying it. I handed the rod to my uncle so he could feel the power for a while. When the first run ended I started working the fish, meanwhile my friend is also working on his fish. There we are elbow to elbow with a double�

[Linked Image]

After a while his fish surfaced and we could see a nice black drum� they netted him and shot a couple of pics while I brought mine in�
[Linked Image]

another nice red! 27� inches
[Linked Image]

what is that on its mouth??? Hmmm,� yep it is the broken nylon and jig from �the one that got away� 20 minutes ago!
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/184549_10151360399431154_1765030134_n.jpg[/img]

So here we are, with 2 nice drums, and one hooked twice, but landed once� into the cooler.
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/Caceria/DSC_3613.jpg[/img]

We worked there for a little longer, but nothing else, so we targeted flounder again.
It seemed they wanted plum/chart color and I was able to hook up on a nice 19� and some smaller ones, my uncle got a couple of keepers and my friend was also able to land his first keeper of the trip �all on his own��
[img]http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/Sponxx/Caceria/DSC_3626.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/385769_10151360389926154_1986461217_n.jpg[/img]

GB2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
VERY nice!

I haven't caught the Gulf fishing bug yet. My Daughter, SIL, and grandson just moved to Houston, and they have been scoping out the coast, so it probably won't be long before I "have" to make a trip down there. grin

Thank you for sharing your adventure and the pictures!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i got my little 17.5ft flat bottom incensed yesterday, so when ever you want to fish the laguna here let me know.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You're on! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ed, Let them know I am here if they need any help

however, you better make the visit fast so we can look for some fat winter trout... I'm here for sure until June, then who knows... I am planning on hitting Roger's camp at some point too smile

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Ed, Let them know I am here if they need any help

however, you better make the visit fast so we can look for some fat winter trout... I'm here for sure until June, then who knows... I am planning on hitting Roger's camp at some point too smile

Thank you!

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How dare you guys fish here without letting me know!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well, if you would come up for air out of that dungeon once in a while you would know when barbarians are at the gate! grin

Ed

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Am I reading in between the lines correctly?
Fishing trip when? smile smile smile

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Looks like y'all had a great time nice fish

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best time is in the fall, but late spring/early summer can be good too.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.