Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
setch,
It is a flintlock built by myself. It has a .54 Colerain barrel that si 42" long. Just another roundball gun that uses between 100 and 127 grs of powder, depending on the application. The former in this case.

Hard to get a good picture of a rifle that is as long as this one, but here are a few others. It is a rifle that has killed a lot of game.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Danner Ft Lewis boots were tough, but my Asolo's - the high end leather ones, I cant rememberthe three letter "name" they give them, were the toughest boots I have ever seen. The last pair is still in action for everyday use 8 6 years after I got them, and they did Mt Klimanjaro and the Chilcoot trail.

The new pair is being worn this morning for the third time, they feel like new sneakers instead of new boots.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I tend to do 6-7 day backpack hunts and have to have something lightweight. I have gone through a number of boots across the price spectrum but ended up having really good luck with a fairly cheap boot. Last year I used Keen Targhee's (about $140). They have 200 gram of thinsulate and are extremely light and feel like a tennis shoe. I wore them with the heaviest Smartwool socks you can buy and had no problem with warmth at 11000 ft in zero degree weather. Still too early to tell on how they will hold up long term, but my feet were never cold and I had no issues with foot pain. Also, they require little to no break-in time. Not sure they are for everyone, but this is what worked for me.

B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by annapolis76eb
but ended up having really good luck with a fairly cheap boot. Last year I used Keen Targhee's (about $140). They have 200 gram of thinsulate and are extremely light and feel like a tennis shoe. I wore them with the heaviest Smartwool socks you can buy and had no problem with warmth at 11000 ft in zero degree weather.

I don't know how you guys get by in truly 0 degree (O F right?) weather in boots with that little insulation. Sure, they are fine when walking and moving a lot, but when I qm hunting, I am moving slow for long periods or even not moving at all for shorter periods of time. I'm not a big stand hunter, but I don't hunt at full speed either.

When on a backpack hunt, the sun goes down early at that time of year, and I find myself trying to burn my boots in a campfire if I'm lucky and more often, I'm camping cold and just suffering with cold toes until I finally have to turn in, if only to warm them back up to the point where they don't hurt quite so much.

Must be a wimp, but I need more insulation than you guys use. So, 400 will let me get by, if I have room for heavy socks too.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I think the Smartwool socks make all the difference in the world. And yes it is 0 F.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You can't run fast enough to give me wool socks for cold weather hunting in Gore-Tex boots. I use Dahlgren socks which wick the moisture out of the boot allowing my feet to stay warmer. Either that or change to dry socks when you stop or start still hunting.
Yes, I've done lots of both in uninsulated boots in temperatures below zero. E

B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Smartwool is pretty hard to beat. Rag wool, esp. if it has cotton blended in, however, is about as bad as anything I've seen.

Fleece socks become matted pretty quickly and really have failed miserably for me, much to my surprise.

All you guys that hunt barefoot in the sub-zero snow are real men. Somehow, I've never met such people all the time I lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Iowa. I'm impressed. Wish I could do the same.

Maybe we need a good sock thread. I think I'll start one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a new pair of USA made Danner Ridgemaster's to wear Elk hunting this year. Turned out really well, considering I did not get to give them a proper breakin. 400 grm's Thinsulate and with Merino wool socks. Feet stayed warm and dry and had plenty of stability while carrying a heavy pack.
Love that smokepole Brent. That is a thing of beauty! Make's me wish I had my Lyman Great Plains Rifle back!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Eremicus
You can't run fast enough to give me wool socks for cold weather hunting in Gore-Tex boots.

Try the thick Smartwool hiking socks. I bet you change your mind.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
453 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.