Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'd like to start planning a Kodiak bear hunt. While I have lots of hunting experience, I haven't hunted bears, and I haven't been to Kodiak.

What's the best way to start this odyssey? How difficult is it to draw a nonresident tag for Kodiak? Are these typically 7-10 day hunts, are do you hike in or float plane, etc?

Thank you.

Chris
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need a guide to hunt brown bears in AK unless you have a blood relative who lives there.

Most guides have exclusive guide areas on Kodiak that get guaranteed tags so no draw is necessary.

Most hunts are 10-15 days.

Transportation depends on area, most require a float plane, some boat and they also have a road system tag.

Guides I'd recommend include Paul Chervenak, Sam Rohrer, and Jake Jefferson. Some other good names out there as well.

If it was me, I'd try to hunt the west end of the island.

I hunted Kodiak three times and will be back.

Hope this helps a little.

Chris

Last edited by FishN4Eyes; 01/13/13.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, that's helpful. Thank you.

Chris
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can vouch for Brian Peterson and Dennis Harms.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dawaba
I can vouch for Brian Peterson and Dennis Harms.

Thank you.

Chris
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
You need a guide to hunt brown bears in AK unless you have a blood relative who lives there.

Most guides have exclusive guide areas on Kodiak that get guaranteed tags so no draw is necessary.

Transportation depends on area, most require a float plane, some boat and they also have a road system tag.

Guides I'd recommend include Paul Chervenak, Sam Rohrer, and Jake Jefferson. Some other good names out there as well.

Chris

What is it about the west end of the island that appeals to you? Just curious...so you would pick an outfitter that focused there?

Chris
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two guides that I know personally are Jake Jefferson and Jim Bailey. I hunted with them around 12 years ago when Jake was working for Jim. Both are class acts and great guides. Jim Bailey is one of the last real old timers out there and he adds so much to the trip with his experience and stories. That year I passed on many bears looking for just the right size without rubs and my brother shot a 10+ the next to last day of the trip. One suggestion. Be in great shape because it will really impact your hunting and disposition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't go wrong with Jake, bears are his specialty.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

H
H
I don't think Jake is guiding any more. He would still be a great resource and has always had great advice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Chris

What is it about the west end of the island that appeals to you? Just curious...so you would pick an outfitter that focused there?

IMO, the west end of the island is the most remote part of it and I'd recommend picking one of the outfitters that covers that area.

Paul Chervenak has the Sturgeon River area and that's a great area with some big bears taken there and it is about as wild as anywhere on this earth.

I hunted that area twice and loved it.

Some other good names mentioned on this thread and some guys who probably know a lot more than I do.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hawks406
I don't think Jake is guiding any more. He would still be a great resource and has always had great advice.

Hmmm....maybe you know more than me but I don't think that is the case unless something changed recently.

But maybe it has, I'll check.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think you can find Jake on the AOD, if it's the guy I'm thinking of.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jake Jefferson and he is still guiding, there's info for contacting him on his website.

http://www.alaskasgreatoutdoors.com/Jake/Black%20River%20Hunting%20camp.htm

Steelhead

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
PM me if you aren't finding what you are looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by richardca99
How difficult is it to draw a nonresident tag for Kodiak?

Not hard at all.....just get your checkbook out and write a check for $12,000-$20,000 and go hunting. Seriously!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Don't know where you got this information from but I hunted with Jake Jefferson, Black River Hunting Camp, last August for Dall sheep. He is alive and well and still guiding and I can vouch for him. He is a great honest guide who will give you 100%. Good luck to the OP on his search for browns, I will go with Jake when the time comes.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by markopolo50

Don't know where you got this information from but I hunted with Jake Jefferson, Black River Hunting Camp, last August for Dall sheep. He is alive and well and still guiding and I can vouch for him. He is a great honest guide who will give you 100%. Good luck to the OP on his search for browns, I will go with Jake when the time comes.

Hawks406, I apologize for doubting your report, etal, I am going to temporarily plead the fifth on this subject. I just talked to Jake Jefferson and he has had a change of plans.........I spoke too soon. I will let Jake tell the "rest of the story" when he is ready.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After years of research, I killed a 10 footer with Brian Peterson on a 14 day backpack spring hunt.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1105955/1

http://www.ugakbay.com/

Scott Mileur on the south end is a living legend hunting out of Pinnell & Talifson's old outfit.

http://www.huntalaska.com/index.html

Couldn't do wrong with Dennis Harms...

http://www.alaskakodiakbearhuntingsafaris.com/kodiak_bears.html

Proud NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jake just posted this on the Alaska outdoor forum. He IS going to stop guiding and outfitting. I am sorry to see this, he is a great guy.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/127577-BRWNBR-is-done-guiding

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, that was a bit of a shock. The state of Alaska just lost a real good guide in Jake Jefferson.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.