Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I am just as paranoid as the next guy, but I didn't see anything in that list that seemed that alarming...?

If you're not alarmed by #4, you're far too trusting.

You don't have to ban guns, if you can decide which people are a too "risky" to own them.

===============

It's a review FB,nothing more.

The actual health care law can't be modified without Congressional approval,especially from the funding end.

The NRA and other gun lobbying groups shut it down before and they will now. How many doctors do you really think are 1. going to ask? and 2. turn away insurance money if the patient refuses to ask?

Obama's blather today was about as vanilla as it gets,as predicted.

It goes to the Senate now where much will die a unnatural deathn and then the House will further hammer on the Senate's weaknesses.

Not even close to being all said and done.

Last edited by RISJR; 01/16/13.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mr Patrick Leahy(prick that you are)

Since when do deer shoot back? [bleep].

Or is the bag limit more than one. Does this mean if we want to defend ourselves and pop a bad guy, we'll need a tag and if there's more than one (highly likely) we're SOL. Patrick Leahy is saving brain cells for something. Definitely not the gun issue.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You know, while I am in almost total disagreement, philosophically, with everything the President is saying, at least he is making a reasoned argument. This is in sharp contrast to the knee-jerk ranting I see here.
In Canada, the arguments were almost reversed. The gun control advocates often came across as foaming-at-the-mouth zealots while the gun owners and shooters mostly took the reasoned approach. I doubt that it made much difference in the outcome in either case but it always feels better to be associated with the high road.
The US is going to end up with some sort of background check/ licensing system at some point. I believe this will happen whether or not the NRA rails against it. I'll give you my take on this.
If the NRA, and gun owners in general, accept that this is to occur, it then makes some sense to make it make sense. For instance: There is no reason a firearms licensing system should not be tied to the passport issuance system through the State Department. After all, anyone who is not stable enough to be trusted with firearms does not desrve a passport. Conversely, if you qualify for a passport, you qualify for a firearms license. The only time the two would not be tied together would be in the case of legal resident immigrants whose firearms license would tied to their immigration papers. After all. if a person isn't trustworthy enough to be allowed the right to keep and bear arms, he is not trustworthy enough to be allowed to immigrate.
In both cases, this means the mechanism for the issuance of the license is largely already in place so that the country might be able to avoid adding yet another bureacracy to the already-overloaded US economy.
I think gunowners should, at the same time try to get something in trade for acquiescing to the licensing requirement. The something they should try for is the rescinding of the out-of-state buyer and mailorder restrictions. I can't believe the NRA has not pushed for this before.
On the "assault weapons" ban. The NRA has to be more forceful in pointing out that the purpose of the second ammendment is to garantee the ability of the citizens to protect the nation or, if necessary, defend the nation against tyranny. Assault-type rifles may be the best tool for the purpose.
High capacity magazines. You know what? If the time comes that you actually NEED a high capacity magazine, it isn't going to matter whether or not it is legal. There will always be plenty around. The restriction is stupid and absolutely ineffective but it is truly not a big deal. I know a guy who lives where high capacity magazines are prohibited yet he has a bucket full of them under his workbench; just in case. Not a big deal.
Gunowners will be much better served by entering into a rational discussion rather than engaging in the stupid ranting we see all too often. After all, we wouldn't be in this mess if nutcases were not getting hold of guns and using them to kill people. Proactivity and an attempt to portray a positive image will do a lot for gunowners in America. I don't think name-calling and vitriol does all that much good; even on a forum like this where much of the audience is receptive. GD

Last edited by greydog; 01/16/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]That's just the tip of the iceberg. [/quote]
That's the tip of something. Not sure about icebergs.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I am just as paranoid as the next guy, but I didn't see anything in that list that seemed that alarming...?

Definitions and implementation is what needs to be watched closely. While I'd agree that most of this looks pretty innocuous there's a few that have the potential to be abused.
If 4,14, 5 and 16 don't scare the [bleep] out of you to start with, then you've drank a bit too much of the koolaid. AT least IMHO. 5 can lead to indirect registration, and what is the purpose to sieze a weapon? Because I'm a CHL and you stopped me and you wanted to hold it while we talked? Now I can't get the gun back until when? Possibly days?

some of this has to be unconstitutional. Hell any infringement really is for the most part.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The real question is who doesn't have mental issues?

Everytime I hear about the military suicide rates, PTSD,divorce rates, etc. we are probably getting closer to eliminating private ownership due to mental issues.

If you P.O. your employer, girlfriend, wife, ex, will they be able to call a hotline and get your guns taken away or at the very least a mental eval?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by RISJR

You don't have to ban guns, if you can decide which people are a too "risky" to own them.

===============

The actual can't be modified without Congressional approval,especially from the funding end.

The NRA and other gun lobbying groups shut it down before and they will now. How many doctors do you really think are 1. going to ask? and 2. turn away insurance money if the patient refuses to ask?

It goes to the Senate now where much will die a unnatural deathn and then the House will further hammer on the Senate's weaknesses.

#4 is like the "no fly list". It's innocuous by itself and well intentioned in theory, but you know as well as anyone, he who decides definitions, through regulatory authority, has the ability to change intention to the unintentional.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mako25
This is the most dangerous EO of the lot.

Simply a point of debarkation.

NY is leading the way, CA will follow, then MI, IL, MA,.......

The immediate goal being to make illegal, all but single shot, or low capability firearms - that will attempted state-by-state.

The template is the same as the offensive launched on big tobacco, and big oil. Sway public opinion, make manufacturers of firearms responsible for their use, tax the hell out of firearms, and components to load 'em, thereby creating a defacto ban.

People won't be able to afford to buy, or use 'em, and manufacturers will be bankrupted.

Gladened the EO's weren't worse, but fully understand, it's just the beginning.

I've seen it before (so have you).
Exactly. The thing was/is insidious but thankfully, not immediately threatening as in somebody at your door or the black helicopters circling your farm.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, six rounds for a one deer bag limit, so if you are allowed to shoot more people do you get a bigger magazine? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DownWind
Mr Patrick Leahy(prick that you are)

Since when do deer shoot back? [bleep].

Or is the bag limit more than one. Does this mean if we want to defend ourselves and pop a bad guy, we'll need a tag and if there's more than one (highly likely) we're SOL. Patrick Leahy is saving brain cells for something. Definitely not the gun issue.

Certainly never seen what 20 feral hogs can do to your pasture or tried to remove as many as possible before they got away.

And I read it taht they want it down to single shots.... in some states... but does ANYONE realize that hunting is NOT protected ANYWHERE in the constitution unless right to pursuit of happiness? By God if I can't hunt or competitive shoot I'm not happy. Wonder how stupid the NTT match at Perry would look like with no 20 or 30 round mags....

if ya can't tell I'm a past a bit ticked off at the arrogance of this administration who can all go to hell.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KR13

That's the tip of something. Not sure about icebergs.
We probably missed stepping in the cow flop today, but it's still laying there right in the trail, in the way, and it still stinks. Perhaps it will dry out and then Harry Reid will pick it up and fling it away or Holder will think it looks good and eat it.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 01/16/13.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by greydog
You know, while I am in almost total disagreement, philosophically, with everything the President is saying, at least he is making a reasoned argument. This is in sharp contrast to the knee-jerk ranting I see here. GD

That is the scary part, you and others will be pacified by the "purring of tigers."

This is chess and not checkers, there are intents behind each one of the executive orders and intent for expansion.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Be advised, if you thought that's what I meant when I made my "line in the sand" statement, you were sorely mistaken.
============

OK. When you said live or die by your line drawn in the sand, I didn't know of any other way of interpreting it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
No need to thank me, but I do appreciate it anyways. I took an oath when I joined the Infantry and again when I put on a tin star. Protect and defend the Constitution against ALL ENEMIES FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC.

As did I, and I too will stand by it, it has NOT been rescinded, in fact I renewed the "Tin Star" one just a week ago.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
I don't know ANYONE that can say they've never been depressed in one way or another.

That is a slope that needs to be addressed to an extent, but a VERY SLIPPERY one at best.

My doctor told me that over 50% of this country are on antidepressants or antianxiety medication. I take a small dose twice a day.

This don't look good for gun owners. Hell, these laws and all this talk about taking away our God given right is enough to make us anxious and depressed.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

===============

The actual can't be modified without Congressional approval,especially from the funding end.

#4 is like the "no fly list". It's innocuous by itself and well intentioned in theory, but you know as well as anyone, he who decides definitions, through regulatory authority, has the ability to change intention to the unintentional.

===============

Sure, but Eric Holder doesn't make law. He can suggest recommendations after his review.

I'm sure you have a good idea as to what the House will do with that recommendation.

Last edited by RISJR; 01/16/13.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn, I better turn in my scrip for atavan that I take some nights as a sleep aid.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Be advised, if you thought that's what I meant when I made my "line in the sand" statement, you were sorely mistaken.
============

OK. When you said live or die by your line drawn in the sand, I didn't know of any other way of interpreting it.
The way of interpreting it is just what I and others have said repeatedly. We can't let our right be piecemealed away. It was all there in the context of the thread. I've never advocated any "charge up the hill". I've always advocated holding our elected officials' feet to the fire and doing all within our means to non-violently force them to do their jobs rather than take away our rights. If you don't believe me, go back and read my words again. I've never varied since this whole thing began about a month ago and even before that have said the same thing. No compromise.

If you want another example of me counseling for seeking out ways to keep our precious 2nd Amendment right without anything resembling violence, go read this thread from a week or two back.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7272471/2

And I'm definitely not accusing anybody else of advocating violence or lawbreaking.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 01/16/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All he did today was take a 5gal bucket of peanut oil and pour it all over an already slippery slope. At the bottom of that slope is a nice steaming pile of dung the left has been piling up for years.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunowners will be much better served by entering into a rational discussion rather than engaging in the stupid ranting we see all too often.

Pure, unadulterated Bullchit,

THIS !.......

To our enemies, we have drawn our line in the sand, don�t cross it.

We are done debating about our rights, they are ours, we don�t want to hear it. There is no negotiation, no compromise, and no conversation to be had. If you want to have these conversations, you�re our enemy.

There is no such thing common sense gun control, there is no such thing as an evil gun, and there is no such thing as being for the second amendment and wanting to burden law abiding citizens with draconian gun control. The second amendment is not about hunting, it is not about sports shooting, it is not about what type of guns you own, and it is not about what type of weapons were around when the Bill of Rights was penned. If you want to spread these lies, you�re our enemy.

Thomas Jefferson once said �The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.� If you want these things you're the tyrants he spoke of, you�re our enemy, we are patriots he spoke of, we are Americans.

The line has been drawn, don�t cross it.

Heavywalker

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.