Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's time for a chart *grin*

Keep in mind, wind drift is what really matters, here...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No offense, but the absolute last bullet I want is one that can be recovered from a whitetail deer.

No offense taken. Bullets are unpredictable at times. Most BST's I've used have been complete pass through's on Whitetails and hogs. This happened to be one that wasn't. Don't care though as it resulted in a dead deer. Fwiw, one of my lease partners whacked a big doe in the shoulder with a 130 TSX from his 270. Guess what? Bullet didn't exit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wind drift is the ONLY thing that matters... grin

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Jeff! <evil grin>

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like arguing for the sake of argument. IMO, the best use for a .243 is shooting coyotes while a 257 Bob is pure class. It's not based on anything but pure personnel opinion which has nothing to do with reality. Guns/calibers are at least as important as the hunt, that love affair never ends... For gun nuts anyway.

Thank God for Mississippi!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KDK
Thanks, Jeff! <evil grin>

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Numbers don't lie grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

[quote=Jordan Smith]I think it's time for a chart *grin*

Numbers don't lie grin

Once again, using extremes to try and prove your point. How convenient! You chose a 105 VLD for your comparison, which Berger recommends a 1-8 twist. How many factory 243's are twisted at 1-8? Not saying some factory guns won't stabilize a Berger 105, but you get my point. At least with your example of the 115 VLD, you chose a bullet whose manufacturer recommended twist rate matches that of most factory 25-06 barrels(1-10).

Btw.. the 115 VLD has 2.82 less inches of drop than the 105 Amax at 700 yds. The
Amax does shade it by 1.5 inches in drift, but I'll take the 2.82 inches less drop!

I understand we're splitting hairs and without a doubt understand the distinct advantages of a .243 over the .25-06 for efficiency and long range shooting. It can't be argued. In fact, I'm in the process of having a 240 wby built with a 1-8 twist Brux for this very reason. It just seems most who tout the advantages of the 243 over the 06 have to use examples with match grade bulllets to do so, which is not a fair comparison, especially for the guy who doesn't reload. My original point being, the average hunter shooting factory ammo out of his factory 22 in barreled 243, will be giving up a bit to the avg hunter with his 25-06.

Have a good one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Target shooting at extended range goes to the 6MM's (with a dime's worth of difference).

Hunting ranges -- you know, where velocity for expansion (not drift, or drop) dictates distance -- there isn't a nickles worth of difference.

One burns more powder, and requires a longer action. (dollar's worth of difference).

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'fan1,.

You'll have to pardon my actually shootin' them boolits,as well as Physics jiving with those erector findings. You've very obviously never shot a 105,let alone seen one and that in itself is very [bleep] funny,as you really are ringing the bell of Dumbphucktitude both loudly and clearly. Congratulations?!?

For conversation and your pointy tinfoil hat,when talking like atmospheres and the 105 'Max at 3K fps and the 115 NBT at 3.1K fps,the 105 do in fact take the wind baton at the 125yd line and retains it until the end. Fairly "impressive",that a case of like diameter in .25cal,has to be nearly 1/2" longer to stay even in the wind all the way to the 100yd line. Though it ain't like a guy cain't grab a coupla more gears in the .243"/105 Realm and shovel in more BC as per whim,into the equation,if only because them boolits do in fact reliably exist. The .547 BC 105 .243" Berger takes the wind baton inside the 50yd line,should that cheer you up. I know,I know...that 25 cal wind "advantage" from muzzle crown to shy of the 50yd line,is very important to you. Laffin'! Hey it's cool,if 50yds in Physics equates to 700yds within your Imagination...if only because you gotta roll whatcha' "know". That humor ain't to be slighted on any level.

In fairness,the 105 do eclipse the 115's impact speed prior to the 275yd line and simply retains that advantage to the end. If you feel compelled to wax eloquent on a 71fps 100yd line impact speed advantage,due to a nearly 1/2" longer case housed within a long action,please help yourself. Great time to get giddy about retaining the wind advantage in that larger case,"all the way out" to nearly the 50yd line too. 'Course you could always get pizzed and yack about another boolit you've never seen or shot in the .257" 115 VLD Berger and it's "whopping" .466BC as a game changer. Laffin'!.

The 6mm's by default are simply more versatile and superior in their ballistics,due the multitude of exemplary projectiles slated their bore sizing. That is not anything "new",other than to folks as stupid as you. Coming full circle,for a 25cal to begin to hang with a 6mm,it's case capacity needs a generous bump in volume and it still gets ugly from there,for a very simplistic reason...boolits matter more than headstamps. Re-Hint.

So if a guy wishes for increased recoil,extry component cost,shorter barrel life,a longer action,increased trajectory drop,more wind drift and lesser impact speeds...a 25cal is a great route to reliably arrange same. But cheer up,they's louder too and all you Mall Ninjas think that's "cool" too! If/when Hornady unveils a meaningful .257" A-Max or Lapua a zinger of a Quarter-Bore Scenar,I'll assuredly be there,as I'm tooled beyond neck deep in idle rifles and have been patiently awaiting same. Until then,I'm rather at ease in the mechanical advantages ripe from stem to stern,in regards to 6mm components that currently flood the shelves. Again an OEM 700 243Win spout will reliably spin the 105's mentioned here within and they really ain't that "rare".

Keep in mind that the .224" 75 A-Max,.243" 105 A-Max and .284" 162 A-Max fully rate building a rifle around...kiss,find pressure and rock on. I realize them constants fully exceed your faculties,which is of course the only reason I mentioned it. Laffin'!

Here's to you,doing the best you can,with what incredibly [bleep] little you have to work with. Gotta BIG kick outta your mention of a 240Wby build,which do fall in synch with your purple KoolAid stained lips and pointy tinfoil hat. I'd say sumptin' about a s/a 6-284 whistlin' 105's,but your head would explode. Points awarded for the humor inherent of a Factory Ammo mention,that sorta schit is PRICELESS!

Lemme fuel your Imagination some more.

6-284/243AI/105'Max. I'll state Alpha 2's,because that will only add to the humor.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
.530BC 105gr Krunchenticker SAAMI 243Win kiss.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm all ears in regards to the 6mm Rem/6mm Rem AI too...if only because I have/hate both.

[Linked Image]

This schit never ain't not hilarious.

Wow +P.

'maniac,

You're a [bleep] HOOT! I REALLY enjoyed this nugget: "personnel opinion". How many persons purposely partook the 'pinion poll and were it personal?!!?

I'm ALL ears in regards to the Bob and/or Better Bob,feel free to wax eloquent in their behalf...it'll be funnier than [bleep].

Hint.

'texas,

I enjoy your Imagination nearly as much as you do and your whine is always offa the [bleep] charts. Congratulations?!?

Ain't it poignant,that even someone as [bleep] stupid as you,knows better than to mention ANYTHING about boolits,barrels or headstamps?!!? Whatcha' gonna whine about next?

Bless your heart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxer/Stick: you really need to get a life...and some new material.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Boxer,

You sure are an angry little man. Forget to take you meds this morn?

Anyway, thanks again for proving my original point with your diarrhea, errr, diatribe. Obviously reading comprehension isn't part of your Schtick!

In regard to the 240 Weatherby. Thanks for your recommendations and input, but I have no desire for custom dies, fire formed brass, etc.. I can afford Weatherby brass, so fu#k you! wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Techsan,

Btw...great choice on the guns and caliber. Got yourself a perfect Texas Whitetail rig.

Sorry for derailing your thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

[quote=Jordan Smith]I think it's time for a chart *grin*

Numbers don't lie grin

Once again, using extremes to try and prove your point. How convenient! You chose a 105 VLD for your comparison, which Berger recommends a 1-8 twist. How many factory 243's are twisted at 1-8? Not saying some factory guns won't stabilize a Berger 105, but you get my point. At least with your example of the 115 VLD, you chose a bullet whose manufacturer recommended twist rate matches that of most factory 25-06 barrels(1-10).

Btw.. the 115 VLD has 2.82 less inches of drop than the 105 Amax at 700 yds. The
Amax does shade it by 1.5 inches in drift, but I'll take the 2.82 inches less drop!

I understand we're splitting hairs and without a doubt understand the distinct advantages of a .243 over the .25-06 for efficiency and long range shooting. It can't be argued. In fact, I'm in the process of having a 240 wby built with a 1-8 twist Brux for this very reason. It just seems most who tout the advantages of the 243 over the 06 have to use examples with match grade bulllets to do so, which is not a fair comparison, especially for the guy who doesn't reload. My original point being, the average hunter shooting factory ammo out of his factory 22 in barreled 243, will be giving up a bit to the avg hunter with his 25-06.

Have a good one.

I actually chose the 105VLD to compare equal bullets, but I can use the 105 Hornady HPBT, with a nearly identical BC, if you want. And that spins up in a factory 10" twist just fine.

If choosing between a drift or drop advantage, I'll choose drift every single time. Luckily gravity doesn't change, so drop is predictable and easy to overcome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't wrap my mind around choosing drop over drift... but maybe because I've been schooled by the wind before.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to the charts... you guys are arguing over about 4" of drift at 900 yards... Just pick one and go shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1. Starsky

Thank God for Mississippi!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by starsky
According to the charts... you guys are arguing over about 4" of drift at 900 yards... Just pick one and go shoot.

Thank you!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shot a bunch of stuff with the .243 and standard bullets and a fair amount with the 25-06. The 25 seems like more gun even when both are shooting 100 grn. bullets.

Might be some psychological mojo thing but I have heard others including a couple of guides say the same.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by starsky

I'm not really arguing either way. Just saying that the .243 doesn't take a backseat to the .25-06, ballistically speaking, even though it costs less in powder, recoil, blast, bullet price, it fits in a short action, etc.

Bump that .243 to AI and get the 105's to 3250fps, and you're really laughing!

But my longest shot on an animal was 942 yards, and was taken with a .25-06 and 100gr MK, so I really have no complaints about the .25, either wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*bites lip HARD*

Oh.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 32 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.