Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bow killed Roosters, Nope not good enough to stick them in flight, or rich enough to launch arrows into the sky and hope to ever see them again.

However, It's not much less a thrill to me to pin them to the ground from a stand!

[Linked Image]

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very cool. So were you in a blind? Or did you stalk them?

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually one of each on this hunt. I think I have 7 now with a bow this year, but today was the first stalk and shoot.

I also caught one alive when my GSP pointed it, I was able to get close enough to see it and jumped on it catching him under me.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Cool, I have tried to draw on a couple from a stand but they catch me!

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always wanted to take a long bow and a flu flu arrow after birds...

Looks like fun! Did you use a broadhead?

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, Flu Flus allow you to retrieve the arrows. Not so much without.

We don't have larger birds here for my recurve and arrows, but I always wanted to try geese but never got that far.

Pheasants would be fun and a bit larger than trying it with doves. But years ago I managed to pin a few doves with the arrow while deer hunting....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried a Flu Flu with the small four ring wire head. However the arrows must be full length so the wire loops don't hit the sight. With that setup they simply do not shoot well for me........ so far.......... I guess I will default to stand hunting and the low cost. My son was tossing a trash can lid like a frisby and I could hit that nearly every time. It's a bigger target and much slower, but you get the idea of how things work in flight pretty quickly!

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Two California Quail today, just cannot get that third bird. By the way, bow hunting Pheasants and Quail has proven to be very nice for butchering and cooking. What a Joy without the random steel or lead shot I was biting down on in the past. Rarely happened but that steel shot can be expensive on the dental work!
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Cool, wish we had some birds around here to pluck with a bow. I did watch "Michigan Out of Doors" the other day and they were shooting snow show hare with recurves and longbows over hounds. I think I'll take my old pooch (GSP 13yoa) out for a slow hunt for bunnies or whatever with my recurve. I haven't seen a pheasant or quail in years around here but plenty of cottontails. She can hunt trash I guess at her age and I won't care.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I also caught one alive when my GSP pointed it, I was able to get close enough to see it and jumped on it catching him under me.

Very impressed with the bow-hunting skills.

Is the quote true? Or were you being facetious? Quite intrigued

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Catching the rooster alive? Yes it's true, here it is:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JJHACK; 01/18/13.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had my GSP do a similar stunt once. My brother in law and I were too busy shooting the breeze and ignoring the dog that was locked on point. The bird broke and flew right at her so she kindly snatched him out of the air and brought him to me. Good looking pooch by the way. Looks like a good sized male GSP. My female was a solid 65 lbs in her prime, not what you would call AKC standard but a damn solid hunting dog.

Last edited by brinky72; 01/18/13.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! Never have seen that one before.

Is that an old toyota in the background? FJ?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He is big, his father was from germany was visiting various breeders In America for "work"

He was a European champion. I got this male from the first litter. I've heard the European GSPs are much bigger then the typical American GSP.

Seeing how big bushman is now makes me believe it

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I bought my girl the first thing out of the breeders mouth was "theses are 'hunting dogs' not some fancy AKC 'show dogs', they run big and solid." I was happy with that. In her prime she was a solid 65-67 pounds which is damn big for an AKC standard male. Now she's about 75 and has those fatty GSP bumps old knees and hips. A little aspirin and a good spirit gets her through though. The dog just loves to hunt. She was an awesome grouse,chukar,pheasant, duck, goose,blood trailing dog. Now in her "golden years" at 13 she trees squirrels and bumps bunnies for me. All that trash I never let her "hunt" in her prime.
I also dig the old Land Cruiser. A little something you picke up from SA?

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No bought that as an old worn out thread bare mess. My son and I did a body off restoration

In 2012 he badgered my to enter it in the car show. So I eventually relented. Told hinge had to sit there with me then. He is only 11. At the end if the show he won first place for custom restored.

That cruiser had every feature you could imagine. Air lockers. Warn Winch compressor combo. Bead lock wheels. Lots of custom metal fab work. On the bumpers and rock rails. It was a three year project

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Job well done. I would love to have one myself but I learned long ago that custom vehicles in Michigan are a waste of time due to their liberal use of salt on the roads in the winter. I had seriously looked at a Land Cruiser yaers back that had the ambulance doors but couldn't justify a summer only 4x4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool I have always wanted to pheasant and goose hunt with the stick and string.maybe some day

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Catching the rooster alive? Yes it's true, here it is:

[Linked Image]

Good looking GSP, and Land cruiser!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Big, was my first impression too. I have a GWP, smooth coat, which means he looks like a GSP. Substitute black for the brown in your dog and you have mine, ninety pounds of relentless motor.

I have taken one rooster with my recurve but he was sitting hunched down in the grass. If form points count I was in the back of a moving pick-up about twenty yards away. That may be a deduction in form points--I don't know.

Very, very nice photos. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.