Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
changing a scope on my NEF in 17 HMR tonight... and it got me thinking... for my needs, a heavy barrel NEF chambered in 17 Hornet as a truck gun would certain fit my needs...

I've looked at both the Savage offerings and the Ruger.. and was not overly impressed with the fit and finish on either, nor was I impressed with the prices...

However picking up an NEF with a Synthetic stock, and then get me another 17 HMR barrel and have a local gunsmith friend rechamber it to 17 Hornet, would not be a bad route to go..

one of those and then a good price on a Ruger Blued 22 Hornet with a wood stock and then have a 17 Hornet barrel custom fit on it, certainly seems a way to get a more attractive rifle in 17 Hornet...

or wait until CZ puts one out in their 527....

will contact NEF tomorrow... and check out the potential of one being in the works...

or considering one in a Savage short action ( Model 10 ), where you can get a 22 Hornet bolt face from Cascade over here in Central Point...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm waiting on the 527 myself.

I've got one in a 22 hornet. Dandy little rifle. No complaints except the cumbersome mag.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I held one of the Savage M 25 synthetic waking varmint models and didn't have to wear shades or hold my nose while fondling it. My only drawback was the magazine on it stuck out like the one on my CZ 527's. Even so it looked like a pretty good truck gun. Short, stiff barrel, and good trigger. Heading back that way next weekend and it just might follow me home.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm waiting on the 527 myself.

I've got one in a 22 hornet. Dandy little rifle. No complaints except the cumbersome mag.

Same here, and I don't mind the magazines, even. I have three 527s, and I've adapted......... I called my "CZ guy" today, just to check on when they'd have some. He didn't know for sure. I've got the components started on their way to the house, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that 'desire' a ruger, there is one at a local shop. Priced at $719. They'll ship.... the Firing Line in Aurora CO

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get your complaint about not being impressed with the price on the Ruger, but youare seriously are happy with the "fit and finish" on an NEF firearm or a Ruger 77??? Man, you must see things a lot different than my eyes see!

Is it Friday yet?
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have an NEF or two in 17 HMR and 22 Mag...with synthetic stocks on them...

they might not be overly pretty, but they start to become pretty in how they make a great truck gun...

I have a 77/17 and a 77/22...one in 17 HMR and the other in 22 Mag with a Wood stock and blued receiver...

comparing both of those to the 17 Hornet Ruger I saw, Quality definitely goes to the older Rugers...

I'd love to have a platform just like my Ruger 17HMR, but in a single shot chambered in 17 Fireball...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How is the 77/17 hornet different from the other 77/17 77/22 hornet?

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The one I handled over at our Local Sportsman's Warehouse, didn't even compare to the Quality compared to the older Rugers I own..

the one I handled in 17 Hornet, was more like what you'd consider of a cheap Chinese knock off of the Ruger...

I was really waiting to get ahold of one of the new Rugers...
Huntsman22's looks awesome in the pics and I really like the stock...

but I was highly disappointed, sadly...I was looking forward to getting one...

now I am considering another route...my best desired route would be an older Blued Hornet, or Gray Laminate Stocked heavy barrel one, and then put a Barrel from Green Mountain chambered in 17 HMR and rechamber it to 17 hornet...

also thinking of the possibility of a Savage short action I have, with getting a 22 Hornet bolt face from Pacific T&G over here in White City... a 17 caliber barrel and have one chambered that way...

heavier than the current packages, but I'd use it as a varmint rifle shooting sage rats off the hood of the old 4 Runner...

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My latest tractor rifle, 17 Hornady Hornet- Contender with a MGM barrel finished .650 at the muzzle. Carbine forearm.[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I used 17 Ackley Hornets for many years and had three of them at the same time. A Cooper Model 38 Classic, and both a custom TC Contender carbine 20" and 14". Really great rigs that shot a lot of varmints and predators over the years for me. When the 17HMR was to come out, a couple of months before I had a custom protype TC carbine that was used to do the field testing on fleah with for Hornady. With its special chamber it was amazing and never matched by any other it shot with. Two more 17HMR's were added, and when they first came out 3 17HM2's as well. Anyway, over a couple of years the Hummer's sort of replaced the 17AH's. Not much effective range was lost even on predators, saved a lot of brass form/reloading time for me those years when my useage was very high with the smaller 17's, as much as 10K/year. Still have one 17HMR, 2 17HM2's and a lifetime of ammo for them... all three 17AH's are gone. Something I thought would never happen as they were among my most loved cartridges ever. I just found that I could do almost anything with the 17HMR good enough that I didn't use the AH's anymore.

Cooper 17 Ackley Hornet
[Linked Image]

Bullberry 17HMR Carbine
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ladobe: An interesting transition you have made - maybe there is a lesson there for me.
I was just at the Ruger online site they sent to me and the MSRP for the Ruger 77/17 Hornet heavy barrel model I wanted is $969.00 - which means I am looking in the $700.00+ range to get one my way.
Hmm....
Hmm....
What to do?
I better do some more thinking before I step up for one of the new Rugers.
Thanks for your thoughts/experiences.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's interesting about it? Some folks don't wanna spend their time reloading......

My experience is different from ladobes, in that with the commercialized hornady version of the hornet, factory brass is available so I can skip the brass forming BS and expensive dies. I've also noticed a big difference in the way stuff dies, between the hmr and hornet.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well, with 17AH brass forming I eventually learned it did not take expensive form dies, did not need annealing, just a simple double ended neck die that sold for $30 at the time enough to get standard Hornet brass shooting 17AH. IOw after that simple die they are ready to load and hunt with. Not fully formed but easily accurate enough shot the first time to fireform them while hunting.

As I said range is the differance. I fully agree that hydrostatic shock plays a huge roll in knock down and out power on game. Shot placement can make up for some of the difference between them though. I cleanly took even coyotes and all the way down to small ground diggers with the 17HMR's at ranges sometimes most folks wouldn't seriously even try using them at. Note I said "sometimes", when the situation dictated it doing ADC for landowners. I knew what they could do, knew their ballistics and energy at ranges, but otherwise limited my shots to the ranges they were the most effective at for whatever the game shot was.

My #2 17HMR, a pretty solid 1/4-3/8 MOA rifle with all the upgrades I did to it before it was first shot.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Hey, Ladobe, nice rifles as always and welcome..nice to hear from you...

Molon Labe
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had/have some nice 17 HMR's including a custom barreled Ruger 77/17 that was a tack driver. Currently I am down to a CZ.
I think highly the 17 HMR but the performance gap between the 17 gr. V-max @ 2600fps by 17 HMR compared to the 3600 fps with a 20 gr. V-max in the Hornet is HUGE.
With a solid hit woodchucks just turn off with the Hornet. With the 17 HMR you better be on your A game to keep them from getting in the hole, particularly as range increases.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the same rifle Ladobe, but unlike you, I'd never part with mine.

[Linked Image]

There is (IMO) some merit to Huntsmans attraction to redi-made ammo and brass as I don't relish the time spent forming brass since my hands have become so arthritic. Fortunately it lasts a good long time though.
Never did jump on the HMR bandwagon but I really can't say why since there's obviously a reason for it's popularity. Wouldn't trade my AH for a box full of em though. Handles like a dream, recoils like a rimfire, and kills like a centerfire. What a great walking varminter! I can only see the 17HH's popularity growing once CZ and hopefully others get on board.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I really like the 17hmr. It is a great step up from my sons 22lr. He doesn't have one yet, but has been bugging me for a "17 mag". I think he is going to get a 17hh instead. Ammo isn't that much more and he can help me reload too. Win win.

I only hope for a decent package. I would love a sporter 77/17, the heavy barrel is going to be too cumbersome for a 9yo. And if I could have my way, it would be a sporter stainless/synthetic with a boat paddle stock.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Letting the Cooper go when I finally did was economic, I had serious medical bills to pay. Easier to do as it went to an old friend who would use it as his go to for fox hunting, it would never be lonely again. Otherwise it probably would have been buried with me as my favoite 17AH, and one of the most favored rifles I ever owned.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea,,, Mike up in AK bought it IIRC.
Couldn't have gone to a better "Foxaholic"!
I got mine in a similar manner (from REM over on Saubier) but unfortunatly he's now passed.
That's the main reason that I'd never sell mine.
Course the accuracy and classic feel have allot to do with it too..

Sure glad to see that you're doing well.
Keep smacking them rats buddy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
171 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.