Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tx270

Let it go...

He doesn't have a clue what that means......

On the contrary, I know quite well what it means -- I just have no intention to do so when others keep responding in ways I disagree with.

The facts are that JB and I have had more than one disagreement and this was the latest at the time. He resorted to name calling when the facts weren�t on his side, wrongfully accused me of editing posts and deleting things in responses to challenges he made, and repeatedly and I believe willfully misrepresented my position. I call that personal attack, even if some here don�t.

I find it funny that people don�t mind piling on me, a nobody, but no one has stopped to ask JB what the facts are.

1. Where are JB�s missing posts in which he claims to have challenged me?
2. What were those challenges?
3. What is it he thinks I deleted from my posts?
4. How does he explain the fact that the timelines don�t support his claims that I edited my posts in after he made those mysterious challenges � or that the timelines in fact make his claims impossible?

Pretty damn curious myself, but JB won�t answer and his continued silence speaks volumes.

I'm more that willing to get back to the subject at hand, North Fork bullets, or not. Reader's choice.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/04/11. Reason: Deleted extraneous word "in"

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Bear �

I�m with you. When I work up loads I generally start with known data for another bullet. That has worked pretty well.

John Barsness was talking about �inefficient manufacturing�. Not sure why, as I don�t care if they are made by elves on blue moon nights using a water wheel for power. Making them is not my problem, and Mike was much more efficient than that. Further, what is �efficient� for turning out 10�s of thousands or millions of bullets is often horribly inefficient of capital when turning out much smaller quantities. Thus I don�t know that I would agree that Mike�s processes were �inefficient�. Low volume, yes, but I�m more concerned with how they work than how many are being made.

North Forks are superb bullets in my experience � very accurate and highly �efficient� on game every time I�ve tried them.

My guess is that he is talking about the fact that they are a "boutique bullet" made in a small shop which drives the price way up over what they would cost if they were made by the ten thousands! Federal made the TBBC better and cheaper when they bought it!

Maybe if they bought out NF and turned them out en masse, the price would be right in line with other premium bullets instead of frightfully expensive. I have never used one, so I can't comment from personal experience, but the ones in the photos sure seem to suggest that the [much cheaper] TSX is a very good bear bullet as well.

If TSXs were made in someone's garage on an old Swiss machine, I am sure we would be having this same discussion about how good they are- and expensive- they are!-

Wow- I wrote this before I got to the end of the thread and read your last couple of posts. I happen to agree with the inefficient manufacturing theory to a large extent. Sometimes, however, we just gotta have what we gotta have and are somehow convinced, whether right or wrong that we have it all figured out.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 01/04/11.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Amazing! A question was asked about NF Bullets and low and behold personnel attacks materialize from out of no where. One thing you can say about the Campfire, it is consistant.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I must add here that although some may think the manufacturing techniques for the North Fork bullets add to the cost and is inefficent, I have hands on experience in the manufacture of them. I have seen the testing of them against other "premium or dangerous" game bullets and they are in a league of their own. I use them whenever I will be hunting in bear country as they out penetrate any bullet I've ever used in nearly 50 years of hunting. They open up rapidly but NEVER come apart! When hunting mixed game or in a area with dangerous game the "North Fork" is the only bullet I will trust!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!
This thread was dead for two years before being brought back from the dead.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They shot like crap in my 308

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"If I was hunting Deer only..I would probably use the old Sierra and never look back.Premium bullets are not needed for Deer..Period..."

Shame, shame, I say shame on you, Sir! Everybody knows one needs an Ultra -Mag with premium bullets to kill deer inside 300 yards... Beyond that, one needs more.... smile

I'm with JB's last line on this one.

Actually, Premium bullets aren't needed for much of anything in NA. Wanted, yes, but not really needed. I'll make an exception, perhaps, for the big bears, which I have no interest in hunting, only in stopping if need be, or for hunting any game with a "too light" caliber.

I AM going to shoot a moose with the .260, and will probably use premiums, tho they aren't really necessary. Probably. That one double-lunged with a .243 100 gr. Core-lokt at 80 yards only went about 50 feet.... Did not recover the bullet... it buried itself somewhere in the cut-bank behind him, having missed bone all the way through. smile

Accuracy (within reason) is more important to me than whether to use a plain jane or a Premium for most of my hunting needs- BTDT with no different terminal results, as far as my experience goes- 20 moose, about 50 caribou, several sheep, goats, black bear, and a lone elk. Most of which keeled over from plain jane bullets. I had a 210 gr .338WM NP blow up on the near shoulder blade of a bull moose at 100 yards, resulting in near-pant-formation on walking up to him, at which point he lurched to his feet at less than 10 feet distance. That experience was impressive enough that I never used the NP210 again on game, sticking with the NP250's for a time, which have performed adequately, tho not as an accurate load as other plain jane loads, which I've largely gone back to. - but really- how much accuracy is "good enough" for a broadside moose at 70 yards (my average). The NPs were perfectly adequate grouping at about 1.75, factory or worked up handloads.

But I'm chea...I mean economically minded. smile So why shoot a more expensive, less accurate bullet for marginal terminal performance differences?

Since misplacing two lung-shot bulls long enough for the meat to spoil, I've largely gone to CNS shots on close-in moose in heavy cover, so I want all the accuracy I can reasonably get. I often have to shoot standing off-hand, so every little bit helps. Again, within reason. Some Sierra GK 250 handloads go right at 1 inch at 200 yards, but I've been saving those last 3 loads for years now in case I get a LR op... I have the data on these originally thrown together "junk loads" written down, so I can dup them if I want.. Currently the .338 moose load is some other thrown together junk loads- this time Hornady 250RN- which shoot MOA at 100 yards. UGLY cartridges/bullets!!!! smile

Had a spike bull moose soak up 3 factory TB 250's (perhaps I shouldn't count the 2nd, knee-cap one however.... smile ), finally going down with the fourth reload round- a Sierra 250 GK. The 3rd TB went in just forward of the ham as the moose was trying to make the brush, and exited in the same hole in the off shoulder as the first TB - which had penetrated through both shoulder blades from broadside without shattering either. Impressive penetration, but the GK (again broadside, just under the spine) made a bigger hole and flattened the spike, which was about to go down anyway. I have the off shoulder blade as a trophy on the piano downstairs. One could cover the 1st, 3rd, and 4th shot exit holes in the hide with a the palm of one's hand, tho the GK passed just over the blade.

By accuracy (within reason )- I just ain't gonna spend 80 bucks for 50 bullets to gain an extra .2 inch group, or even .5, if the rifle shoots cheaper bullets nearly as well, AND I am getting adequate terminal performance out of the cheaper bullets. If a bullet ever fails me, I'll go elsewhere. So far, only one factory load (plus the 210 handload) has, but I was misusing it anyway.. Did result in adead and recovered animals (moose at 70 yards, sheep at 330) however, so it wasn't a "failure", really- I just wasn't happy to find exploded bullet pieces and poor penetration on both animals, tho that was perhaps the most accurate factory load I've ever found for the short-barreled '06 "Stub".. I don't reload brass fired from that one, as it has a mis-shapen chamber. I keep thinking I ought to rebarrel, but why? It shoots most factory ammo into 1.25 MOA as is... and it's my favorite beater.

On the other hand, if a rifle significantly reduces groups with a Premium, that's what I'll feed it, especially if I anticipate the need to reach way out there... So far in my rifles, I've found Sierras, Hornadys, and Corelokts are almost always as accurate, usually more accurate in my handloads than Partitions, sometimes by a significant amount. I'm really not very impressed with NP group sizes. But if I find one that works better than PJs, guess what I'll feed the rifle??? Just can't see feeding them amore expensive Partition which shoots half-inch larger groups just to say I used a premium,....

I've killed a number of caribou beyond 300 yards using plain-janes in .25 and .30-06, 270, .280 and .260. Those two 'bou taken using the .338WM and TB 250 gr bullets didn't die any quicker or deader, just a wee bit more expensively.

Just bought a factory box of Rem 140 Corelokts for the .260 today, not being in a position to reload at the moment. It's what it shoots really well.... but at $38/box including tax....... AAARRRGGGGG!. And yeah, they kill caribou at any range I can hit them at.

I'll try not to pecker shoot another one, however- I'm saving up for a 1,000 yard rangefinder, good to 500 or so probably. My current "400" just ain't cutting it for open country hunting, since it seldom ranges past 300 on 'bou, and they are usually beyond that. At the moment, a premium range finder is more useful to me than premium bullets....

But if Premiums float your cork, or significantly increases the accuracy of the rifle, have at it. It's your money, and your confidence.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Well, if JB is agains NorthFork, is it because he is sponsored and paid by Nosler? Now, I just don't know.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
John ain't, IMO, that type. I have never seen where he was against NF. I think his only comment was to the effect that they are very expensive, it might not always be warranted. But then, he can speak for himself and he has an unimpugnable reputation.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
I'm with Coyote Hunter on this.My .338 is primarily used on moose with a chance of running into a grizzly up close & personal. The NF's have so far performed flawlessly for me tho I haven't used any of 'em on grizzly.
Assuming things work out, I'm hoping to use the 150 gr. bullet in my .270 WSM this next season on our sheep hunt into the Brooks. The simple reason is that we could run into a grizzly and I certainly DON'T want a simple cup & core bullet should I need it. It amazes me how so many guys in the Lower-48 don't understand conditions up here yet think they are the experts.Bear in Fairbanks

Yeah, because we don't have grizzlies down here in Montana...laffin...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since. I don't shoot hundreds of bullets a year, cost doesn't matter.
The ttsx load i use has been lethal and extremely accurate

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This is a dead head thread...but..there is just too much floating not to be rebutted based on lack of real northern hunting experience. Or with real irritated bears
that need stopping. Or even trophy bull elk that need to be downed without being lost due to sub-standard bullet performance.
IMHO, premium bullets work-and more advancement in bullet design has occurred in the last 15-25 years than the previous 100 yrs.
My last moose in the Interior of Alaska was shot with a 270 gr Hawk bullet- 348 in a M-71 Winchester chambered for 348 AK Imp. Ballistics identical to a 35 Whelen.
No guide, no backup in case of a bear contesting the meat or gut pile.

So if someone wishes to hunt Alaska-Canada with 1920s era jacketed bullets, that's OK. Its his hide in bear country. Someone mentioned "no grizzly bears in Montana".
Interesting observation, but wrong. A US Forest Service employee was killed off duty on his mountain bike a couple of miles outside the West Glacier NP entrance
in 2017. Look it up. My "other rifle" is a pre -war Deluxe Model 71 chambered in 450 Fuller-cousin of the 450 Alaskan. Use Hawk or Alaska Bullet Works bonded FP
400 gr bullets. For those who think nothing like this could happen-read Alaska Bear Attacks. Or Bear Attacks-their causes and avoidance.-Dr. Stephen Herrero.

Carry what you want: just be aware that if you make a mistake, you may not retrieve what you shot at. Another little known fact: A good lever action 1886 or Model 71
will deliver more repeat shots on a moving target inside 100 yds than ANY bolt action rifle. Like upset bear or moose for "moving targets".

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, since this thread has been resurrected I’ll throw in my two cents worth...

I love my Partitions and old style TBBC’s. However, since initially trying 225 grain NF’s in my 338 beginning in 2014, and every year since, I think they hung the moon. Much more accurate, much cleaner shooting (less copper fouling) and Good Lord, what terminal performance! Ive posted my share of “elk success” stories here and I can’t quit gushing about the performance of that bullet. Credit goes to JB and BobinNH for load workup advice. Thanks to two fine gentlemen for their assistance!

Since the Winchester 1886 was mentioned, I sure wish NF had a flat point for my 33 WCF. I’ll use JB’s trick and file down a 210 grain Partition, making it a flat point for now.

Last edited by Godogs57; 12/29/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How do you guys find these old threads?? Any why???

Is North Fork even still in business?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
How do you guys find these old threads?? Any why???

Is North Fork even still in business?

Just placed an order smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.