Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
On her way to the local market this afternoon, the lass crossed the bridge in front of the crib and saw something that caught her eye in the river. She called me at the salt mine to say she was looking at a duck she didn't recognize, and knew I'd be interested. I told her to snap a few phone pics.

I'm fairly certain it's a mallard/domestic cross, but it sort of has some pintail-like characteristics. I guess it could be a mallard with some mutation (are there piebald birds?), but my money would be on mutt/hybrid.

I've seen a couple of so-called 'blonde' mallards (both hens), but they were a solid creamy color. Pity this one didn't rock into a spread I'd laid out. He'd make a nice addition to the home aviary. wink Anyway, he's a handsome one, I think. Anyone have any ideas? Brent?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_20130120_141946_zps84ee1c92.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_20130120_142011_zpsb4e86d39.jpg[/img]

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Albino?

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't know how that works in birds, but I thought true albinos had no pigment. Come on, Brent, your phone is ringing...

wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cool looking bird.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Piebald, albino? Sorry, not an expert or much help, but my childhood home was across from a city park and we had all kind of halfbreed wierd crosses from the nonmigrating/year round ducks. Neat looking none the less. Doesn't seem to be dispraportioned to the other mallards.

Sean
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ya forgot ta paint the head on that deek. Just sayin.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Can't help Leighton. Ducks I eat not study. In other critters, there are lots of ways a color pattern can be messed up bad like that. Simple point mutations would do it in some instances, so it may not have to be a hybrid, but that certainly would be a high possibility in my mind.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While in school for wildlife degree we always referred to the mallard as the rape artist of the waterfowl world. Nothing they won't interbreed with given a chance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 01/20/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The term is "leucistic". There's a sequence of genes and pigments that go into color formation, failure of the base gene for ALL colors results in a classic albino.

Failure of genes further down the sequence results in the formation of SOME color, in the right places, but not all. Case in point; zebra finches are a common cage bird...

Here's a normal male...

[Linked Image]

...and here's the very common (in captivity) "fawn" mutation...

[Linked Image]

In this case the normal grey color is a combination of two feather pigments, one of which is missing in the fawn examples.

Duck hybrids within the dabbling duck genus are usually pretty simple to identify, especially in males, and relatively common. Here's a mallard-pintail hybrid....

[Linked Image]

This freqency of hybrids due to the fact that the hens of all species look pretty much alike, and because male ducks commonly commit rape AKA "forcible copulation" since males generally outnumber females.

All the marking that are apparent in that pale mallard are in the right place for the species, albeit paler, also the bird appears to be about the same size and proportions as the others. IME mallard-domestic duck hybrids typically run bigger with different proportions than wild birds.

I have seen a wild white mallard just once, and it was spectacular. But in songbirds at least, full albinism often is accompanied by weaker flight feathers, rendering the bird flightless at some point. Actually partial albino and leucistic examples are more often seen in the wild than true albinos, maybe on account of that very factor.

Still, when them mallards are subject to the "peregrine test", guess which one the falcon picks? That and the fact that in ducks its the females that recognize their species, choosing the correct males. Unfortunately for him, that guy dont look like a mallard.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by NathanL
While in school for wildlife degree we always referred to the mallard as the rape artist of the waterfowl world. Nothing they won't interbreed with given a chance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep on the mallard being the rapists of the duck world. The pure black duck is said to be on the way to becoming no more. We see mallard x black ducks all the time, and I've seen lots of mallard hybrids in other places as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for leucistic. Pattern of the coloring looks too clean for a hybrid. Think you need to try fishing with some bread or popcorn and add him to your collection. whistle

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The term is "leucistic". There's a sequence of genes and pigments that go into color formation, failure of the base gene for ALL colors results in a classic albino.

Failure of genes further down the sequence results in the formation of SOME color, in the right places, but not all. Case in point; zebra finches are a common cage bird...

Here's a normal male...

[Linked Image]

...and here's the very common (in captivity) "fawn" mutation...

[Linked Image]

In this case the normal grey color is a combination of two feather pigments, one of which is missing in the fawn examples.

Duck hybrids within the dabbling duck genus are usually pretty simple to identify, especially in males, and relatively common. Here's a mallard-pintail hybrid....

[Linked Image]

This freqency of hybrids due to the fact that the hens of all species look pretty much alike, and because male ducks commonly commit rape AKA "forcible copulation" since males generally outnumber females.

All the marking that are apparent in that pale mallard are in the right place for the species, albeit paler, also the bird appears to be about the same size and proportions as the others. IME mallard-domestic duck hybrids typically run bigger with different proportions than wild birds.

I have seen a wild white mallard just once, and it was spectacular. But in songbirds at least, full albinism often is accompanied by weaker flight feathers, rendering the bird flightless at some point. Actually partial albino and leucistic examples are more often seen in the wild than true albinos, maybe on account of that very factor.

Still, when them mallards are subject to the "peregrine test", guess which one the falcon picks? That and the fact that in ducks its the females that recognize their species, choosing the correct males. Unfortunately for him, that guy dont look like a mallard.

Birdwatcher

Good info. Thanks, Mr. Scientist!

wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking at those photos, looks like that duck is missing every feather pigment except pale brown, and what you see is where that pigment occurs as an underlying pigment in normal male mallards.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely a nice-looking bugger.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hydridiztion is common in ducks. I like Nathan's description.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.