Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jglenn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Brother and I just got back from the Shot Show and had a chance to look the new Remington 783 over quite a bit

My main idea was to compare it to the Ruger American.

Interesting rifle..Not an updated 770 at all

button rifled barrel compared to the hammer forged 700 barrels of today..

nicely done crown on the rifle. Better than the stock 700(IMHO),recessed but then cut with a 45 degree final finish. Seems the factory in Ky has taken some pride in this rifle

tupperware stock, but Much stronger than the typical 700. Actually looks to be a bit different material ? you can move the foreend side to side but it takes a good bit of pressure. you'll have no issues shooting it from the bench at all..

steel magazine not all polymer. just a poly bottom. Nice flush finish and seems rock solid in lock up..

standard Rem type 700 type recoil lug..we'll see aftermarket stocks for sure.

poly trigger guard But not integral to the stock. similar a ADL trigger guard as it will separate from the stock so I bet we'll see aftermarket ones...

two stock bolts for the action similar to the 700.. third screw is just for the trigger guard like a ADL

the bolt........... Very nice
two lugs like the 700 but has a Sako sytle extractor.. floating bolt head (like a savage) 90 degree bolt lift..700 style ejector

Bolt handle not as nice as the 700 but a very similar design.( no checkering) wish they had simply put a ball on the end like the old 700s. Bolt release is like a Winchester model 70

trigger looks like the Savage accu trigger or the Ruger American but is designed a bit differently. trigger pull is ............. well the three I tried were just flat outstanding...never personally liked that stye of trigger but this one Remington got right ...really right..
Out of the box much better than a 700 trigger as far as factory pull..

it's not a hard glass like type of letoff ...more a rolled type of trigger pull and release but very smooth and light weight.

the receiver is similar to the American with the smallish ejector port so loading outside of the magazine will be tough/impossible? but that's ok.. it was designed to be loaded from the mag. Looks to be every bit as strong as the 700 action.

they will have both short and long actions to accommodate both 30-06 length cartridges as well as the 308 length.

barrel nut looks like it came from Marlin..has notches for a barrel nut wrench similar to the savage. not quite as attractive as the ruger but ok..

not sure what the barrel threads are, so not idea yet if a 700 barrel will screw in and work.. even if they use the same threads I suspect they will not work without some work..just a guess from observation..Hopefully we'll see some screw in aftermarket barrels from the various custom makers.

Finish is very similar to the Ruger.. nice but no polished bluing..

OK I'm a Remington guy, but to me this rifle is much better thought out than the Ruger.. ...someone at Remington really sat down and thought this one out.. given the mess the 710 and 770 were

Remington got this lower priced Rifle right. (IMHO)

be interested in seeing how they shoot.

no it's not a 700 but really not bad at all. MUCH improved over the 770 stuff.

perfect for a 1st rifle or truck gun..

given that we see 700 ADLs for around $379 at Academy Sports the street price will have to be way under that I think

Last edited by Jglenn; 01/18/13.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
By "750 stuff" do you mean the 710 and 770? Just curious because the 750 is a semi-auto?

J
Jglenn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
my bad.. I don't think I have recovered from the trip yet... feet are still killing me

fixed the post

Last edited by Jglenn; 01/18/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I thought upon seeing a picture of the new 783 that it looked too "Savage Axis" for me. I'm glad to hear it feels like a solid rifle.

J
Jglenn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
we'll see how the magazine works out but the old 788s worked just fine

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
as long as they got rid of the 710 and 770 junk it will be ok

J
Jglenn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
didn't even see one there

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can buy a Remington ADL 700 everyday of the year for $369 and at least once a month for $349. Why does Remington need to scrape any lower than that? Yeah I know ADL's are no longer cataloged but they make them for Academy apparently and they sell them by the truckload.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/18/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
J
Jglenn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
hmmm

maybe the 783 is designed to replace the ADL

Appears the Rem is going to continue with the 770 .. that I find strange

other than a donor action the ADL Academy sells is pretty plain Jane

having seen both up close I'd probably take the 783 if I was Joe hunter looking for a nice inexpensive hunting rifle verses the adl. Way better look to the metal and much better trigger OOB and I love the 700

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the review. Very informative and to the point. I am considering buying a low cost rife. Thought a lot about the Vanguard but I will have to handle one of these to make up my mind. I see a lot of opportunities for aftermarket stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I came away with an exactly opposite opinion of the 783... It is ugly, there is no point in looking for aftermarket stuff for the 783 unless it just happens to also fit the 700, because no one will be making it.

The trigger is beyond horrible and probably not an easy fix...

The bolt handle has to be the ugliest in the industry, even the A-Bort with its similar lozenge-shaped knob has a little grace in the canting, not to mention the functionality... the 783 has none...

The tight fit on the loading port is going to lead to lots of swearing in the general vicinity of handloaders and those with a need to get a single cartridge into the chamber in a hurry.

The Howa/Vanguard is a lot more rifle for the money.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,225
Posts18,466,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.