Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What gunnut308 said..Bullet wt. and caliber size count a lot at long range..

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd personally take a 7mm 160-170gr class pill over any 30 cal 200+, but I'd owe that to not liking brakes.

BC is BC is BC, but recoil isn't equal across the spectrum.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd be looking at something with knock down power. While I have some rifles that shoot the higher bc bullets I don't feel they would cleanly take game such as deer that far away. Yes they shoot well and hit steel targets at farther distance but deer can be very tough. We owe it to the game to shoot enough gun. I'd say at distance past 300 yards something with a "mag" after it should be used.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why so serious??

grin

Your 105AM and 80TTSX combo will do everything that needs doing on WT/MD. Granted, if the wind is howling I can see busting out the .625 BC at 3050fps, but it's certainly not needed to beat up on anything but the wind.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ringman
Brakes are the only way to fire high powder capacity firearms with comfort. Especially if one is going to actually practice firing it.

Then I'd suggest a smaller cartridge for this person needing to reduce recoil. Espically if they actually practice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Why so serious??

grin

Your 105AM and 80TTSX combo will do everything that needs doing on WT/MD. Granted, if the wind is howling I can see busting out the .625 BC at 3050fps, but it's certainly not needed to beat up on anything but the wind.
Hey, if we're just hunting bucks here, I'll gladly take the 105 along.

But if the forecast is callin' for wind.... you know what I'm toting laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i dont see the point in useing live animals for target pratice.rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where have you ever seen someone mention that?

And BTW, I see the point. Ever shot prairie dogs or 'chucks?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
Originally Posted by smokepole
[quote=BobinNH]

I just saw NMS's post above. The 300 RUM may be a great choice for him, and I'm not knocking it. Probably not the best choice for most people though.

Smoke I have a break on my sendero and I have only shot one deer with it but I saw the deer in the scope when the bullet hit him. If I didn't have a break I mite not be able to handle the recoil. With around 100 grains of powder I would agree that most people could not handle the recoil without a break

I've shot NMSSHOOTER'S 300RUM and it is a joy to shoot, but only with hearing protection! Kicks about like a 243 or maybe a little less. I will say the energy it delivers with a 200gr NAB is impressive. One afternoon we set out water jugs at 500yds for target practice. The first one fell to a 7-08 and I believe a NBT. Not much explosion and most of the water leaked out. Next one was hit with my 257Wby using 100gr TTSX. Decent explosion. Next we pulled out the RUM. Massive explosions and utter destruction of the jugs. I know this isn't very scientific, but there was a tremendous difference in the destruction levels when using the different calibers at 500yds.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tanner, dont get me wrong, i enjoy longrange shooting as much as anyone here on the fire. as for shooting paririe dogs and woodchuks i have done more than my share, i was raised in western colo. and ther was a huge dog town west of rangley,colo.and another north of blue mountian,almost as big. north of meeker, on coal creek was great wood cuck hunting and shooting.that was back in the early 1950s, i have hunted everything with hair in colo. since i was a small boy.my family had ranchs out side of craig, meeker, baggs,wyo.i now and for years have had a ranch in s.tex.and we hunt a lot more than most people ever have a chance to hunt.i have seen 1000sds of whitetail shot over the years most were killed under 300 yrds.i have seen hundreds of deer missed from close to way out out there.i read a lot about longrange kills but dont see much about misses and wounded animals, aint that intresting.by the way i have built my own longrange gun range thats 1175 yards long,with steel targets all the way out.and shoot a number of different cal. rifles at long range.i log on to this site to learn, i didnt invent the wheel,but i sure enjoy shooting, i think a lot of people that talk longrange, dont shoot much and talk a lot.just my 2 cents worth . by the way im 75 yrs young, and will hunt till die.rio7

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd bet you have more to give than learn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One reason you do not hear about many long range misses or less than stellar hits is that most folks that are really into LRH very rarely take a shot beyond their capabilities. The slobs that are spraying and praying don't usually advertise where they will get chastised. They save it for telling around gun counters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RIO, welcome to the LRH forum and like Kaleb said, I bet you've got more stories to tell than we'll ever experience.

I'm in agreement with Eddy in that most guys that are truly great long range shooters and hunters know their own limits, as well as the limits of their equipment , and know when to take the round out of the chamber. I think that's why you don't hear about too many wounded critters or missed shots... either that, or we're all getting a fast one pulled on us!

I'd never feign to be a great shooter or hunter like many on this forum, but I sure know when the wind is blowing too much, or when there's just too much real-estate between me and the critter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tanner, i think you and others here have hit the nail on the head . that is,(KNOW YOUR LIMITS) i damn sure know mine. rio7

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some good points but the truth of the matter is anyone who has taken their fair share of game at long range has F'd up at one time or another. if they haven't then they are full of [bleep] or it's just a matter of time.
We practice until we cant see straight and we area half broke to get as good as we can. But the moment of truth is in the field. A shot on a 500 yard deer under unknown conditions can be tougher than ringing an 800 yard gong at the range.
Yes as long range hunter we should know when to pass a shot and often do BUT there are times when conditions seem perfect and you miss that down range cross wind or up draft that is not detected sick.
This is the reason I go longer on known farms that I have shot on before and know what to expect and limit myself under unknown conditions. I also make no apologies for smacking deer with a 300 grain smk when i feel the need to ensure minimal wind drift.

"Fast is fine accurate is final"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
What are your opinions for the best long range caliber for hunting whitetails out to 500-600 yards?

Your Ruger 270 will do just fine.

Carry on

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love the quote in your picture.... Priceless.!
Me.....I prefer .270, even though it seems to lose punch out that far. I guess size does matter. 100-300 is easy though. WIND is a factor,big time.

History is my teacher: VietNam was my lesson.!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Best = probably a 338 Lapua

Best for a normal person to learn to shoot long = probably a 243 with 105s

Best for you = whatever you can shoot consistently and accurately at your chosen range

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EddyBo
One reason you do not hear about many long range misses or less than stellar hits is that most folks that are really into LRH very rarely take a shot beyond their capabilities. The slobs that are spraying and praying don't usually advertise where they will get chastised. They save it for telling around gun counters.

Spot on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (270cowboy, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.