Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
For hunting next month I have 2 whitetail doe tags, one any deer tag, and two antelope tags.

I have been working on (5) rifles in the shop full time for 2 weeks and need to leave for long range target practice with the rifles in 3 weeks:
1) expensive rifle Win M70 25-06
2) cheap rifle [$80 so far] Arisaka 99 308
3) lite rifle [6.5 # so far] Rem700 6mmBR
4) heavy rifle Rem700 7mmRemMag
5) original factory barrel Browning B78 25-06

I have the headspace right on the 4 barrels I worked on.
The 7mm is waiting for bottom metal to arrive before bedding. The other 4 are pillared and bedded.

Last year I built 3 rifles for 3 tags, but after target practice I gave up on one of them and only used the 6.5-06 and 300WM to fill the tags.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Honestly, I would use any caliber from 243 to 30 cal shooting a berger bullet. Preferably a lighter caliber so that hits can be seen through the scope. A gentleman in wyoming that runs greybull precision lends out a 243 that is loaded with 105 bergers for elk. If you want proof go to the website, there is a pic of a teenage gal who shot a bull elk through the shoulder with that rifle and load. He has shot many elk with this and the proof is in the pudding. Whitetail are not herculean...

I would also opt for the high shoulder shot to down them on the spot. A behind the shoulder shot at that distance will result in the animal leaving the area...

My furthest experience was on a whitetail at just under 500 with a 300 weatherby shooting 168 ttsx's. Behind the shoulder shot in a wide open field. She ran 70 yards or so and then stopped to figure out what the hell happened, and wobbled over onto her side dead. Maybe a 1/2 inch or under entry with a 2 inch wound channel and exit wound through the lungs.

Last edited by Ridgegoat; 09/10/16.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
280AI if you want the most optimal ' least blast.

If the big band doesn't both you 7mm Mag

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ridgegoat
Honestly, I would use any caliber from 243 to 30 cal shooting a berger bullet. Preferably a lighter caliber so that hits can be seen through the scope. A gentleman in wyoming that runs greybull precision lends out a 243 that is loaded with 105 bergers for elk. If you want proof go to the website, there is a pic of a teenage gal who shot a bull elk through the shoulder with that rifle and load. He has shot many elk with this and the proof is in the pudding. Whitetail are not herculean...

I would also opt for the high shoulder shot to down them on the spot. A behind the shoulder shot at that distance will result in the animal leaving the area...

My furthest experience was on a whitetail at just under 500 with a 300 weatherby shooting 168 ttsx's. Behind the shoulder shot in a wide open field. She ran 70 yards or so and then stopped to figure out what the hell happened, and wobbled over onto her side dead. Maybe a 1/2 inch or under entry with a 2 inch wound channel and exit wound through the lungs.

Ridgegoat who is the guy from Wyoming that lends out the 243? Cant wait to see the website?

Have you shot a lot of elk at distance with the Bergers using shoulder and chest shots to see a big difference?

How far do they go with lung shots? confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Friend I have shot a big 6 pt bull in the middle of the left shoulder with a 300 RUM using a 180 gr. Nosler Accubond from 80 yards distance. Bull goes down! Dave slides back down the ridge and leaves his rifle there as he waits until we show up to help him get the bull out. We go back up the ridge....bull is on his feet looking around! We watch him for five minutes before he goes down for the count! Bullet did not suffer fragmentation at impact!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Friend I have shot a big 6 pt bull in the middle of the left shoulder with a 300 RUM using a 180 gr. Nosler Accubond from 80 yards distance. Bull goes down! Dave slides back down the ridge and leaves his rifle there as he waits until we show up to help him get the bull out. We go back up the ridge....bull is on his feet looking around! We watch him for five minutes before he goes down for the count! Bullet did not suffer fragmentation at impact!

Freak circumstance. Obviously nothing immediately vital was destroyed by the shot. Lack of fragmentation was not to blame. I've killed piles of animals by bullets that did not fragment.

It certainly not a requirement for an elk bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]
For hunting next month I have 2 whitetail doe tags, one any deer tag, and two antelope tags.

I have been working on (5) rifles in the shop full time for 2 weeks and need to leave for long range target practice with the rifles in 3 weeks:
1) expensive rifle Win M70 25-06
2) cheap rifle [$80 so far] Arisaka 99 308
3) lite rifle [6.5 # so far] Rem700 6mmBR
4) heavy rifle Rem700 7mmRemMag
5) original factory barrel Browning B78 25-06

I have the headspace right on the 4 barrels I worked on.
The 7mm is waiting for bottom metal to arrive before bedding. The other 4 are pillared and bedded.

Last year I built 3 rifles for 3 tags, but after target practice I gave up on one of them and only used the 6.5-06 and 300WM to fill the tags.

I'd use the one on top. Whatever that one is. Looks interesting... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
600 yards is a 'gimme shot'!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Freak circumstance. Obviously nothing immediately vital was destroyed by the shot. Lack of fragmentation was not to blame. I've killed piles of animals by bullets that did not fragment.

It certainly not a requirement for an elk bullet.

No it's certainly NOT a requirement for an elk...or a muley or whitetail bullet. My statement reference this was to the fact that it DID NOT blow up upon contact with the shoulder!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
600 yards is a 'gimme shot'!!

that depends who's doing the shooting.

I know plenty of people who can't connect at 350.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Go to a public range just before deer season. There are lots of people who have trouble hitting a paper plate at 100 yards off a bench.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anything 243 through 6.5 credemore, Swede, or 260. Anything bigger IMO will be less effective due to recoil or shot placement. I've seen magnimitus cause a twitchy finger on more folks than not. Even if a Magnum has a break on it barrels heat up in a hurry and IME shooting most rifles with a glowing barrel is more than counter productive.

When considering hunting long-range 500-600yds there is zero substitute for range time. If you can consistently put a group into 6" or less at 600 yds cold bore on any given day I say go for it. If not then practice, practice, and more practice! A 243 Winchester through the small 6.5s will get you there more consistently everytime.

As for the 7mm I'd consider a 7MM-08 but not the larger 7s based solely on powder charge and again barrel heat, shots down range etc. IMO there's a very noticeable difference in a case that holds 40ish grains of powder VS one that holds as much as 60 grains when one is trying to get more shots fired downrange without fighting a heated barrel.

Over the years I've hunted with a good many long range hunters that shoot farther than I'm willing to shoot. I've also seen a hell of a lot of missing going on. In considering my own shooting accomplishments I regularly accomplish 2ish" 500 yd groups from a number of rifles. This year with continued practice I intend to stretch my hunting range to 600 ish yds but that's it. Why, I've been practicing this long range stuff for only 9 years now and with more than 10,000 rounds downrange I feel I've gathered enouph data to conclude that even at 600 ish yds I might see a miss on occasion. Most long range shooters have missed more than once at those ranges and most would never admit it on a public forum.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 09/15/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Shodd
Anything 243 through 6.5 credemore, Swede, or 260. Anything bigger IMO will be less effective due to recoil or shot placement. I've seen magnimitus cause a twitchy finger on more folks than not. Even if a Magnum has a break on it barrels heat up in a hurry and IME shooting most rifles with a glowing barrel is more than counter productive.

When considering hunting long-range 500-600yds there is zero substitute for range time. If you can consistently put a group into 6" or less at 600 yds cold bore on any given day I say go for it. If not then practice, practice, and more practice! A 243 Winchester through the small 6.5s will get you there more consistently everytime.

As for the 7mm I'd consider a 7MM-08 but not the larger 7s based solely on powder charge and again barrel heat, shots down range etc. IMO there's a very noticeable difference in a case that holds 40ish grains of powder VS one that holds as much as 60 grains when one is trying to get more shots fired downrange without fighting a heated barrel.

Over the years I've hunted with a good many long range hunters that shoot farther than I'm willing to shoot. I've also seen a hell of a lot of missing going on. In considering my own shooting accomplishments I regularly accomplish 2ish" 500 yd groups from a number of rifles. This year with continued practice I intend to stretch my hunting range to 600 ish yds but that's it. Why, I've been practicing this long range stuff for only 9 years now and with more than 10,000 rounds downrange I feel I've gathered enouph data to conclude that even at 600 ish yds I might see a miss on occasion. Most long range shooters have missed more than once at those ranges and most would never admit it on a public forum.

Shod

So we have to shoot a short action cartridge that burns no more than 40-45 gr of powder because none of us can shoot anything burning more powder than that?

Honestly where does this stuff come from? sick

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking the same thing Bob.

"Check out this website!"

"Don't use a magnum because of barrel heat."

Good God...

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1 Bob

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
first let me say that shots beyond 425 yards require practice and extremely good optics.I have shot many deer at 3 to 350 yards,and a few at 425 or so and a couple at near 500. but these ranges beyond 425 require an advanced understanding of the field conditions where u are hunting,and an even better one about the trajectory of the load u are using. the hardest thing for many shooters is aiming 12 inches in front of a deer knowing the pill will drift 30 inches,or 20 inches over its back knowing that it will drop 30 inches.this takes lots of practice

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
the reason i have a 500 yard limit is for kinetic energy requirements with my 270s. the 270 wsm would add a mere 60 or 75 yards and this boy aint shooting no ultra mag or 340 weatherby,or 30-378 at deer

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
oh after 55 years of hunting i aint a boy no more,but with the help of my pap(full blooded indian) and his brothers and cousins iam a deer hunter

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
iam 2. And my pap ain't even injun.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of calibers will kill Whitetails, or about any big game animal at 600 yards. I've had great luck with 7 rem mags.

I chose 300 WSM for my latest hunting rifle:
[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.