Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7348047 01/22/13
E
EWY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Since it was a little chilly today, about 10 degrees and I was outside all day I decided to have a little warm me up. I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Rye on the way home. It is not bad at all. It is different from regular Beam or "corn" liquor but it is not that sweet kind of nasty taste that I would associate with Rock & Rye. They also had a bottle of Pendleton Rye but it was $40.00 which is a little much for me.
Anybody else have a little Rye now and again? What is your preference and what is the cost?

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey I cry

If I don�t get Rye Whiskey

I surely will die

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey I cry

If I don�t get Rye Whiskey

I surely will die

if the ocean were whiskey and I was duck, I'd swim to the bottom and never come up

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bulleit makes a rye, though I've never had it. But based on their bourbon, I'd not hesitate to give it a go.

http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/Honor.aspx

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, there is a bottle of Beam Rye in the cabinet at this very moment. I started drinking it after learning it had been an American favorite for many years. Am guilty of splashing in some ginger ale most times. Given I'm mixing it, I'm not one to spend the dollars for the more expensive options.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There aren't a lot of Rye's out there. Bulleit makes excellent Bourbon, so I'd try their Rye, but haven't as of yet. Beam Rye sucks. The best Rye I've had is High West Rendezvous Rye. It is not cheap. I've got some High West Double Rye in my cabinet now, but haven't tried it yet. It's much less expensive than their other offering.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The High West Double Rye is particularly good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nail
Bulleit makes a rye, though I've never had it. But based on their bourbon, I'd not hesitate to give it a go.

http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/Honor.aspx

Bulleit 95 (95% rye mash, 90 proof)is my everyday Rye. Not too expensive but very nice. Low $20s at Total Wine. I've got a bottle of Willet's Single Barrel Reserve (110 proof) for special occasions (High $30s at Total Wine).

There's some other good ones out there I'm not as familiar with, Templetons, several High West products. Total Wine (a huge discount liquor chain) has maybe two dozen types in stock at any one time.

Last edited by RufusG; 01/22/13.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Templetons

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bulleit is good

Last edited by KR13; 01/22/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you can always try this stuff:

[Linked Image]

http://www.suburbanwines.com/r/products/buffalo-trace-white-dog-rye-mash

i actually picked up the wheat mash one and its actually decent for what it is.....one of my buddies thought i was nuts when i grabbed it but he likes it aswell

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What I don't like about these white dogs are their prices. They should be markedly cheaper since they don't incur the materiel and speculative costs associated with extended aging, but typically they are as expensive, or even more, than the usual product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
What I don't like about these white dogs are their prices. They should be markedly cheaper since they don't incur the materiel and speculative costs associated with extended aging, but typically they are as expensive, or even more, than the usual product.

for what lil i drink it doesnt matter much.....guessing they are more expensive cause its a shorter run so no matter what you do your bottling/packaging costs are gonna be higher......yeah the "whiskey" itself in the bottle is cheaper but the rest of it is more expensive to do than the regular run which drives up the unit cost.....

Last edited by rattler; 01/22/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They don't have to make a special run, other than labels. If they pull the usual fresh distillate that would ordinarily go into barrels, guess what? It's white dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
They don't have to make a special run, other than labels. If they pull the usual fresh distillate that would ordinarily go into barrels, guess what? It's white dog.

im guessing they arent bottling by hand which means it costs money to change over the machines from bottling the regular whiskey....plus being they are smaller runs the set up and getting the labels printed costs more.....all that changing over of the bottling machines takes time and time costs money, and short "novelty" runs wind up costing more money even if the actual product itself costs less....your hoping the novelty off sets the lack of disire for the customer to pay more....

i run a print shop and small lil things that dont mean much to you or that you think in theory should cost less actually wind up driving up the cost because they add time and more time means more money....

i know the "White Dog" is actually itself cheaper cause its coming right out of the distiller and your skipping the aging step so in theory it should cost less and if you show up and ask them to fill up YOUR bottle straight out of the tub coming off the distiller than i agree with you, it should be a cheaper product......but im pretty positive the short novelty run of bottling up a batch actually wound up driving up the price due to the low over all volume of product....

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Rye whiskey rye whiskey
Please don't let me down
Gonna buy me a drink
Then I'll roam around...

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When my 2 year old was a newborn, this was one of the few songs we could play to get him to quit crying.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy
When my 2 year old was a newborn, this was one of the few songs we could play to get him to quit crying.

I like Tex Ritter's better

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.