-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another thought, grandpa used to do a lot of woodworking, made hardwood furniture and the like. One piece he made several of was a plant stand. It had a solid round base and a solid round top, and the 3' vertical column was made up of multiple slats, like a 2 dozen that were maybe 1/2" x 2"? Anyways, to make the column he took some heavy fabric, laid it out flat, glued the slats to the flat fabric, and then wrapped the fabric/slat assembly around the solid base and top. Once wrapped around the base/top, he'd then nail/screw it all together. Maybe use the same cloth/slat principal to get the curve around the top of the chest.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Another thought, grandpa used to do a lot of woodworking, made hardwood furniture and the like. One piece he made several of was a plant stand. It had a solid round base and a solid round top, and the 3' vertical column was made up of multiple slats, like a 2 dozen that were maybe 1/2" x 2"? Anyways, to make the column he took some heavy fabric, laid it out flat, glued the slats to the flat fabric, and then wrapped the fabric/slat assembly around the solid base and top. Once wrapped around the base/top, he'd then nail/screw it all together. Maybe use the same cloth/slat principal to get the curve around the top of the chest.

damn, thats one of those stupid simple ideas you cant believe you never thought of crazy

Last edited by rattler; 01/22/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Savage2005
I got married and started work at woodcraft. I was surprised at how many tools I "needed" to do all these projects.

If you like your wallet stay away from tools made by "Festool". You'll have a coronary when you see the price tags, but when you use them it'll all make sense.

I have now
SawStop 3hp1ph 56" table saw
Powermatic 5hp1ph 15" helical carbide planer
Jet 3hp1ph 8" helical carbide jointer
Powermatuc PM2800 drill Press
Jet 12/20 lathe
Various Festool sanders and drills
And garage shelving full of everything from Mesquite to exhibition grade curly Purpleheart on the off chance I "need" to make something.

smile

I am banned from WoodCraft. My wife made them post my photo by the cash register.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The math is fairly simple, and is as follows. For this example, I'll figure a half round lid, 24" front to back, or 1/2 of a 24" diameter circle.
24"x pi(3.14) = 75.36"/2 = 37.68".
A 1x2 is nominally 1-3/4" wide, or 1.75".
37.68"/1.75"=21.5 boards, 1-3/4" wide.
22 boards 1-3/4" wide =38.5". 38.5"/ 3.14= 12.26*2=24.52" or 24-1/2". so the front to back measurement of your box will be 24-1/2", utilizing 22 ea 1x2 boards, of whatever length the box might be.
The 1/2 circle of the lid = 180 degrees.
180/22 bevels = a combined bevel angle of 8.18 degrees. You are beveling both long sides of the 1x2's so each edge needs to be beveled 4.09 degrees.
Remember, you are working with wood, I would set my bevel at 5 degrees, and the joints on the top of the lid will be tight, but the inside of the lid will be slightly open.
The slats will be nailed, screwed or glued to end caps. the end caps will be semi circle, with a radius of 11-1/2". (24.5" -1.5"(thickness of a 1x2 x 2)= 23" diameter, or 11-1/2" radius.
See, simple...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With the barrel idea, maybe when they're 12 or so they'll be strong enough to open it. Will cut down on the wear and tear on the toys as you put them into the toy box.

Go buy a plastic tote, you'll be out $1,000 by the time you give up on the wife's crazy idea.

My 2 cents.

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hit some thrift stores and buy a cedar chest for under $100.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
I was thinking to keep the lid from closing to hard I have an extra set of old Ford lever arm shocks, but they might be too much so I was also think of using a set of strong arms like on the back window of an SUV.
With keeping barrel slats together I figured before I cut I would glue them all together and then drill and put a screw at each slat through the band using the other side of the band on the inside, but to find a barrel for cheap may be a problem.

To keep the lid from closing too fast, get some lid supports. They are spring assisted, and should help keep it from slamming shut. When the lid is open, you can also puch the lid supports over center, which will keep the lid locked in the up position. You should be able to get them at any hardware store

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idnative1948
Originally Posted by Savage2005
I got married and started work at woodcraft. I was surprised at how many tools I "needed" to do all these projects.

If you like your wallet stay away from tools made by "Festool". You'll have a coronary when you see the price tags, but when you use them it'll all make sense.

I have nowt
SawStop 3hp1ph 56" table saw
Powermatic 5hp1ph 15" helical carbide planer
Jet 3hp1ph 8" helical carbide jointer
Powermatuc PM2800 drill Press
Jet 12/20 lathe
Various Festool sanders and drills
And garage shelving full of everything from Mesquite to exhibition grade curly Purpleheart on the off chance I "need" to make something.

smile

I am banned from WoodCraft. My wife made them post my photo by the cash register.

Woodcraft ain't chit.. Japan woodworker will vacuum out your checking account in a New York minute.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my wife wants me to build, and I think it is a great idea, a toy box for our little boy. The idea has morphed it to a pirate chest. I am not that good with wood...
I have at my disposal a jig saw, and circular saw and of course a drill and impact driver.

The idea has morphed beyond your woodworking skills. But if you're determined, at least keep it simple.

Don't start with a heavy oak barrel. It will be tapered, anyway, making your work very difficult and making the lid needlessly and dangerously heavy. 1/8" door skin will bend just fine for this; it's cheap and you won't need to buy any tools. You could laminate a couple sheets together, for strength, and screw and glue them to solid lumber end pieces.

The box can be assembled from plywood with solid lumber corner posts and lumber bottom supports.

A gas spring can be used to control the lid.

Last edited by pal; 01/22/13.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could make a pirates chest in a few hours at most.Go for it.
it isnt that tough.
[Linked Image]

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only reason I don't order from Japan is that I hate waitin on shipping. I did organize most of my garage with Festool styled t-lock containers so I can open the bottom one without taking the stack apart.

I'm just over $13,000 and I only worked there 2 years.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do it like this. Why overthink it? Just a series of slats. Then do leather handles.

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I stopped by Ace hardware on the way home tonight and they have the whisky barrels already split in half for planters, they have a broken one sitting there also, I'm gonna go back in the AM and talk to the owner about the broken one. If I get the half and the broken one I can build the front and back out of the broken one and have the correct taper and use the half for the lid, then i went to the parts store and the shocks that hold up a hood will cost me about $11.00/a piece, then i just fabricate a mounting point and it has an easy open lid. Then I called a carpet guy I know and he has a remnant that I can use to carpet the inside.

I think I found my weekend project, got fix the wife car first and run to Missoula but Sat afternoon and Sunday is toy box time

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Do it like this. Why overthink it? Just a series of slats. Then do leather handles.

[Linked Image]

I made one nearly identical, I put a 1/4 round on the slats with the router.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many ways to make a curved top.
Coopering isn't hard but lining all the pieces up for the glue up can be frustrating. Biscuits help enormously here.
Slats with a half round cut on one edge and a cove on the other edge makes for a very nice curve with no gaps.
There is also a kerf bend where you cut a series of closely spaced parallel kerfs most of the way through the board and then bend it which closes up the kerfs and gives an unbroken show surface.
This is probably what I'd do with a spectacular piece of wide, solid wood. All you need is a tablesaw for this method.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think I found my weekend project, got fix the wife car first and run to Missoula but Sat afternoon and Sunday is toy box time
Stop by "double front" and eat some chicken for me will u?.............

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Stop by "double front" and eat some chicken for me will u?.............

I've never been there, I think it is on the other side of town where there are Hippies, I go up reserve and hit Walmart, Target(baby formula), and Home Depot and try to make it out of Missoula before the Hippies wake up

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my wife wants me to build, and I think it is a great idea, a toy box for our little boy. The idea has morphed it to a pirate chest. I am not that good with wood, steel on the other had I am a master. I can frame and do simple things like hang doors and pre-built cabinets but the idea of building a curved top box seems kind of scary. I assume it would be better to do it with slats rather than try to curve a piece of plywood but how do i determine the angles and better yet how do I cut it, I have at my disposal a jig saw, and circular saw and of course a drill and impact driver.

Some imaginative ideas here - and some...not so much.

Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
my wife wants me to build, and I think it is a great idea

Everything after the comma demonstrates an acute case of opti-rectimosis. IOW pull your head out of your ass. If you've not built a few proper boxes, sturdy enough to be worth the cost of materials and labor, then you don't start with a curved one.

If I were you, I'd tell the little woman, she'd best be concerned with her own "curves", not some box. Silly schit that females dream up needs to be nipped in the bud, not encouraged.

FYI my wife has freaking great curves, even after a baby (she only gained 10 lbs during pregnancy) I have built a few boxes but nothing too finished I have a wooden chain saw box i made, a oak panel box for my mom's crap, and I even built our bedroom set but the idea of building a curved lid and cutting the bevels is what has me hung up, if I could build it out of steel my problem would be solved. The other problem is price, I looked at oak the other day and they wanted $89.00 for a 4x8x1/2, I think it's gonna be made out of pine, and he can be a West Coast Pirate

cant imagine someone is to happily married if they get pissy and tell their wife no every time they come up with an off the wall idea.....granted i spend a fair time actually explaining to the wife just what her new idea is going to involve but bout 1/4 of the time she is still gung ho about it so i just shrug my shoulders, say ill do my best and go buy a couple new tools to try and get the job done myself and if it doesnt work we go with the more practical way of hiring someone that knows what theya re doing or buying something else....either way i still get some new tools out of the deal grin.....

This is how I do things. It keeps my woodshop growing. grin I can see you justifying at least a good table saw and probably a router with table too. And this is why...

Originally Posted by wabigoon
For years I have gotten the help of folks with more skill, or better tools than I had at the time.
I wonder if flute, and bead, as used in canoes might work for the lid? That calls for a shaper, or router, and table, but that's woodworking for you.

Look up "wood-strip canoe construction". You could make a real classy chest that way - with little skill, and a few (more) good tools.

But if you can't buy any more tools for this - you should consider doing this...

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Hit some thrift stores and buy a cedar chest for under $100.

...and using the tools you have to "dress it up".

Or - you could compromise and at least get a decent contractor's table saw to do this...

Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

[Linked Image]

After all - every "shop guy" needs a table saw!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 30 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.