Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So I don't hi jack another thread I'll start another. I'm looking for some warmish light weight clothes. Something compact so they aren't too bulking to bow hunt with. I bow hunt from October 1 through January 1. Obviously in the later months the basel layers will be thicker. But, temps can dip into the 20's in October so something fairly warm but not bulky would be best. I have wool for late season hunting but it can be a pain shooting a recurve wearing the wools. laugh

Last edited by brinky72; 01/16/13.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fleece and good under garment for your torso (I have Marmot, HH and Northface). It has to be COLD for me to consider long underwear bottoms.

I like a fleece vest with windstopper, and layer accordingly over/under.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Silk thermals are perfect during bow season for me

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sporthill 3SP material is amazing stuff, and fits the criteria you're looking for.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Think down or down substitute (Primalift One) for light and warm. In particular, I consider my Pattagucci "Puffball" vest to be my most cherished warmth item.

I've also fallen in love with a thin base-layer of Smart Wool as a starter for almost all outdoor pursuits.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might start looking at backpacking clothing instead of most hunting gear. The backpacking section here on 24hr has some good ideas.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a bunch of Kuiu and Firstlite wool for a Mountain goat hunt. I was very pleased.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Fleece and good under garment for your torso (I have Marmot, HH and Northface). It has to be COLD for me to consider long underwear bottoms.

I like a fleece vest with windstopper, and layer accordingly over/under.

I generally wear a base layer and Mountain Hardwear wind stopper vest incase I need to strip down and get moving. I wear a Patagonia Nano over that for insulation and a Mountain Hardwear technical softshell if there is wind and moisture. A neck gator and windproof fleece beanie keep me snug.

Like SH said, it has to be COLD before I wear anything on my legs.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Check out KUIU's superdown, Patagonia nano or micro puff or down sweater, or Mountain Hardware's ghost whisperer.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I almost always wear a base layer, a lightweight warm one allows for less "top layers" and lighter weight. The best I have found are the Sitka core base layers warm when it's cold, yet breathes well enough to be comfortable when sun comes up.
Almost all my hunting clothes are Cabela's microtex. I also have the lightweight version which is better for earlier in the year or if you get hot easily.

Stuff wears like iron, quiet and doesnt fade.

Fleece and other layers over the top.
I have been wanting to try some other Sitka products or first lite.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like SH said, it has to be COLD before I wear anything on my legs.

Are you guys sitting in a tree stand or walking? OP mentioned bow hunting and that generally means sitting in stands. If I'm sitting, I have to have something extra on my legs. If I'm moving, I agree with nothing extra on the legs.

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Everything that's not cammo is Patagonia for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like a soft flannel union suit against the skin. It doesn't sag and gap like separates, and you can perform both bodily functions through buttoned openings.

The outer layer should be windproof such as GoreTex with knit cuffs to close around the ankles and wrists. The front should have a zipper that closes around the neck to seal in warmth but can be opened to let excess heat escape when needed. Insulation in the outer layer makes the garment warmer overall, but it also makes it thicker and heavier which limits mobility. Insulation also limits versatility in mild weather when the temperature rises during the day unless the insulating layer can be removed and stowed. My current favorite hunting jacket is Browning Polarfleece with GoreTex and 400 gram Thinsulate. My heavy coat from Cabelas is wool with their Dry Plus variation of GoreTex fabric and a removeable insulating layer. With that coat and a wool sweater I can fish on the ice in the wind all day in comfort.

For middle layers nothing beats goose down for warmth, but a good wool sweater runs a close second. My habit is to wear an orange upland hunting vest with a large game pouch to meet the orange requirement, using the game pouch for stowing layers when needed.

My current hunting boots are made by Wolverine. They are leather with GoreTex and 1200 gram Thinsulate. When ice fishing I add thick wool felt insoles and my feet stay comfy all day.

Currently, I am in need of a pair of nice, lightweight, waterproof boots for upland hunting in the fall. Problem is I can't find any that fit me because my feet are so wide. I bought a pair of Irish Setters in size 12-6E but they pinched my fat feet something fierce so I returned them. I don't know of any company that makes boots that fit me. I have considered making my own but that is easier said than done! I could have a professional make me some but the price is astounding. One guy gave me a budget quote of a thousand dollars! Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
redhead,
Russell Mocassin Company sounds like just what you need for those flippers of yours.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If light weight and compact design are what you want, then look at what the mountaineering crowd uses. I got that advice from JJHack some years ago, just as I was slowly figuring that out myself.
They are years ahead of the hunting clothing makers. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
redhead,
Russell Mocassin Company sounds like just what you need for those flippers of yours.

Brent, do you wear Russell boots?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Once I figured out that keeping my neck and head warm is the best procedure I have needed far fewer clothes. I often walk 2-5 miles just to get into a hunting area. Even with temps in the teens I'll walk in just wearing 2 long sleeve fleece or polypro T-shirts, no long underwear bottoms. Once settled in a fleece facemask under a warm hat along with a primaloft jacket carried in my pack is usually all I need. If it is really cold I carry a poncho liner in my pack to wrap up my lower body. I haven't owned insulated boots in years.

You need to be shopping at REI instead of Cabelas or Bass Pro if you want warm, lightweight clothing.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with the above statements about moving to backpacking type gear to shed gear weight. Sitka gear marries the lightweight/hunting gear quite well. It's not cheap, but neither is Mt. Hardwear, Arc'teryx, Patagoina, etc.
I've read comments about the Sitka gear stating " Why do I need camo long underwear?". Well if your moving and the weather is 7 when you start and 55 at 3pm, one needs to constantly shed layers.

I own some backpacking type gear and have been substituting it for my heavier camo clothing slowly over the years. I've also bought a few Sitka outerwear pieces simply b/c some things like my black Goretex jacket isn't that great at concealing my outline.

But, I typically don't even pack a jacket when its cold since I'm close enough (3 miles) from camp or a predetermined pickup spot on a road. I will if its snowing or raining. I always, always, have a warm wool hat, warm neck warmer and warm gloves. Those 3 things have saved me from freezing my tail off on days when the weather moves in unexpectedly. If I'm suspicious that it might get colder I also pack a pair polypro longjohns in case things get bad enough.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too hold my Patagonia puff vest and pullover as my most prized hunting clothes (and general cold weather layers). Easy to pack, little weight, and warm even when damp. The fabric is slick and slips easily under other layers.

Liner socks work well and can be doubled up to resist blisters and add warmth. A second pair in the pack takes up very little space but can be really appreciated at times. I never need heavy socks.

Home Depot has $10 work gloves that are the ticket for dexterity and takes the chill off carrying a bow or rifle.

Rarely need or use long johns bottoms but silk weight capilene from Patagonia is light, slides under pants easily and can be stuffed in you pack if the day heats up. Use the tops in black as base layer in almost all situations. These can be a tick protector as well.

Add a fleece or silk neck gaiter and cabelas Perfekt boots and you got a very versatile combination. Works well with either Camo or Orange.

That's my two cents, Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,267
Posts18,448,289
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.