Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow! That one's a Boone & Crockett Rat! grin Couple more that size and you'll have a coat for your lady! laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clarkm, I believe those trophies would make for some superb full body mounts. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will rats fall (no pun intended) for a morsel of food suspended over a bucket of water. I find that very effective for mice around our elk camps.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this guy made the mistake of pissing my wife off laugh

[Linked Image]
my oldest son caught these guys at the barn several years back.he trapped about 30 the summer before he left for boot camp.still not sure how we ended up with so dang many so fast that year.havent had a problem since we got barn kitty
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
I'm not sure how to respond.

grin

I've trapped and killed more stuff than I care to admit. Including rats. They still give me the creeps...I hate 'em.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
There is a free, quick and easy way to modify those Victor M201 rat traps that will help you catch more rats.

A couple of years ago, we had a horrible rat infestation in an old barn. We took over 100 rats out of there in about 30 days.

We used those Victor M201 like the OP has in his second photo. Problem was, we had a lot of snapped traps with no rats.
I realized I needed to make getting the bait more difficult.

Take a plastic bottle cap, cut a small slit in the top about 1/3 of the way from one side.
Pry up the small raised metal V on the trap trigger (the OP second photo rat's nose is touching this V )
Push the raised metal V through the slit in the plastic cap.
Press the V down to secure the cap on the trigger.
Now you have a little "cup" to hold your bait on the trigger.
I used a dab of peanut butter on a piece of dog food kibble to bait the trap.
Press the dog food into the cap using the peanut butter as "glue".

We had a lot less empty traps using this simple modification.

There are Norway rat runs in an area ~50 yards behind my house. I'll know the runs are full when I see them in daylight. I plink at them with a Weihrauch HW95/.22 and refer to them as targets. Very smart animals and a bigger challenge than steel spinners.

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I just ordered 10 more rat traps, and they arrived with the yellow plastic trip plate.

I found a 3 minute video that explains the difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO3urIG-EnY

[Linked Image]
Here is something that came with the 10 traps.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd say time to get serious. That would include poison 'bait houses' on the outside edge of your house, towards cover. Poison in a 'bait station' bought from a farm supply store keeps it pet proof, but lets rats & mice in.

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

This is rat #5.
It is not in my house where I sleep, but the wall between my gunsmithing shop and the house. The rodents are not just scratching around in that wall, they are fighting.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
when i first bought my house, it had sat dormant for 6 months. as i was in the process of moving in, a good sized rat ran across my kitchen floor. it came from the basement through a missing steam pipe hole and was headed out the door. I slammed the door and grabbed a 357 that was in a drawer by the door. after I fired, the front half screamed for about 10 seconds then died. i've been hunting them ever since. find them under my dog coup's and shoot them with a 410 contender, wipes out whole families at at time, dog food thieving vermin. I caught one in a trap once and the next morning when I found it it was only half there. i caught the cannibal a few nights later. I hate them, hate them. HATE THEM. jim

Last edited by grampajim; 04/26/13.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Might want to upgrade to some 330 coni's

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Anyone try a weasel box on these vermin?

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to put out a variety of different bird feeders, but had to stop as the over-spill started to attract rats.

I used the same Victor traps, but found they worked best when covered..the best set up I found was two set back to back covered by a light plywood wood "tunnel" about 3' foot long..

The baits of choice were either peanut butter or chocolate..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Life stops and I go after these guys with a passion when they show up in camp or at home. I have skipped a full day at work when I found one in my garage.

[Linked Image]

Pack or bushy tailed woodrats. They can do more damage to camp or a parked rig than one can imagine. This one (of 4 taken) went after my Leatherman sheath and some leather gloves in camp last week. Mess with the bull and one gets the horn.

For scale the trap plank is 7 inches long. The next rat taken had about an 8 inch long body and larger girth, but I did not snap a photo.

These guys will put up a fight when cornered, and I've not known many cats that will take one on.

1Minute
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I was an early teen (late 70s), we raised chickens and my job was to keep the rat population down. dad gave me six steel jaw traps, a couple of those victors, a 22LR bolt action single shot and a box of ammo. I beamed with pride that he had given me the job and made a genuine effort to wipe them out.

I used to setup the steel jaws in such a way that they were the "step" up to the bait, which was raised and blocked in such a way as to make the step the best route. I would mix peanut butter with feed corn and plaster it on the trigger pad, then a blob up high...

I averaged 6-8 per night, as I would sit on the coop roof from dusk till bedtime, shooting them...then my trap sets would get checked in the morning to fill out the tally. eventually, I graduated to gasoline vapor tunnel evolutions...but that's another story <BG>

We had elevated roosts for the chickens, but when one got sick and could not make the roost, the rats would bite holes in their sides...slowly killing them over a night or two... I still have a profound hatred for the things..

Last edited by medicjim; 05/28/13.
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I got another one, 3 feet from the basement.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
279 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.