Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hi there - posted this in the gunsmithing forum, but I figure I might have just as good a chance having my problem solved hear as well. Here is what I posted:

I'm having problems with my BLR .308. When I work my lever on the BLR, the hammer doesn't stays cocked.

I tried it a few times over different occasions. It only stays cocked if I work the lever slowly. If I work the lever as I would when hunting, it will only stay cocked 1/10 times (i.e., unacceptable).

When the breach is open, I only have to barely touch the hammer to give it that 1/2 a hair diameter movement to lock the hammer down. So, what's the problem here? I don't see much wear on the hammer itself. I don't see to much wear on the bolt that cocks it!

So is it the metal bolt moving inside the aluminum housing that's causing wear and too much play? There is some movement of the bolt in the alumimum housing when the lever/breach is open. I'm thinking the issue would be solved if I put more metal on the bolt so it pushes the hammer down the required milimeter (yes - I'm Canadian - about a hair to 1/2 hair diameter). Have any others had this problem? What was your solution.

Thanks in advance for any help.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is troubling. I have two BLR 81's. Never had that issue over a 5 year period.

Can't help you, but I'd like to know how you finally resolve this.

Good luck.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Stainless BLR 270 WSM that I gave to my Brother,
When it was still mine it would do what yours is doing also.
I sent it back to the factory for repair after my local Gunsmith
inspected it and told me that it had "Jumped Time" in the Rack and Pinon gearing.It took about 7 weeks but when I got it back
from Browning it was perfect!
But I never trusted it really after that and gave it to my Older brother who lives in Idaho.He loves the little rifle for all his hunting! It has replaced his 300 WBY AS his do all hunting rifle.
He has not had ANY issues with the BLR SINCE I gave it to him

Molan Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OMG! It must be those plastic gears again!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Plastic gears?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
Yes the BLR has plastic or nylon gears in it. If they happen to slip a cog or so or if some one has tried to adjust the trigger pull or disassembled for cleaning and reassembled things out of sequence problems such as the op described can pop up. Best bet return it to Browning for repair. They may charge something for the repair if it looks like someone has messed with it, but that beats hell out of having an unreliable possibly dangerous rifle. Usually those gears work fine for many years of service. But it is a mechanical ststem and problems can occur.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a similar problem with a steel receiver model, had to have the sear re-cut by a gunsmith because someone had fouled the sear possibly trying to improve he trigger.
You have the advantage to send it back to Browning since it is a alloy receiver, maybe they will fix for free-whatever the problem is. Also, there will be parts for it as some aren't available for he steel receiver models.

Good luck and happy shooting soon.

"Don't act like you're not impressed!" (Ron Burgandy)
NRA 4-Life
Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by quarterboredave
Yes the BLR has plastic or nylon gears in it. If they happen to slip a cog or so or if some one has tried to adjust the trigger pull or disassembled for cleaning and reassembled things out of sequence problems such as the op described can pop up. Best bet return it to Browning for repair. They may charge something for the repair if it looks like someone has messed with it, but that beats hell out of having an unreliable possibly dangerous rifle. Usually those gears work fine for many years of service. But it is a mechanical ststem and problems can occur.

I contacted Neil Jones (trigger guru on the BLR) he stated that there are no plastic gears in the BLR. There is however a nylon bushing in the lever group on the BLR !!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The plastic gear thing is a myth. Mr. Jones is correct of course, there is one small nylon pressed fit bushing in the works. Another one of those often repeated Internet bits of wisdom passed on for fact - though it isn't.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have 2 BLR's, a 22-250 & a 284. I've taken both apart numerous times w/o issue. The procedure is not for the faint of heart or those that can't or won't follow directions. There are some areas of reassembly that have to be right or they don't work properly. Just wish I could find the site I got the directions from. They are now hand written in my magic gun log!:)
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Oh, neither one has plastic gears!!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Plastic gears?

I was jut kidding, MOGC. It was said in jest to an infamous member here on the 'fire that bashes the hell outta the BLR.
There is supposedly a nylon bushing somewhere in the BLR's guts, but certainly no plastic gears.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha... smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.