-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you buy one you wont be upset... i topped my 212 with the leupold ultimate slam it groups about 2" at 250 yards what more could you ask for out of slug gun... o wait its also completely stock

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To the OP nice gun. I've got 2 buds that have the 220 scoped and they both shoot very well also.If I were to buy one I'ed go for the camo stock I think.The clip job makes your shot gun look like a rifle for sure nice job....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very interested in the details and level of effort necessary to convert the factory 220F magazine to a one-round, flush unit. Can you share any hints or suggestions? Thanks. Dave

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Just saw this�

It�s been a year but I�ll try to remember. I stripped the magazine down (removed bottom, spring and follower) then inserted it into the gun to scribe a line for the cut. I just used a band saw and then carefully sanded it until there were no gaps when held against a straight edge. Next you need to make the cuts to the magazine cap and again make sure the surfaces are flat again. It is important to maintain the relationship or gap between the �shelf� on the back of the magazine cap and the tab that holds the magazine in the gun ie... keep the distance between the two the same so the magazine will stay locked and also not wobble when inserted. Next clip about 1 � coils off the spring and bend the clipped end into the previous shape. Last reassemble and apply good two-part epoxy to the magazine cap, line everything up, and clamp.

It really wasn�t too tough. Go slow and at least you have some pics to go by. I honestly wasn�t sure it was going to work until I had the end result in hand! It functions perfectly BTW.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
P
P
djb, PM sent on mag mod. Also, I'm interested in your quote below regarding the bedding and screw tightening. I'm a bit confused as to whether you did it on the 220 and it didn't work, or are you referring to another gun?
Thanks.

BTW, I learned that my gun definitely shoots best tightening both front and rear action screws fairly tight. I went through lots of cash trying to find an accurate load before I discovered this. I bedded mine and treated it the same as my rifles; tighten the front screw firm and just snug the rear. This did NOT work on my 220.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by djb
Stuck in shotgun only state we are limited in options for gun season. It is even tougher being a semi-rifle looney. Really the extra range isn�t needed, but it is a pleasure to carry a nicely balanced rifle. When the Savage 220F came out it is was close to a bolt rifle as we legally can use, but I always hated the way it carried. The magazine is right at the balance point. Yes, it is an interesting scope/mount combo for a slug gun...long story crazy I have made several �mods� to this thing and and am still planning on doing some things to the bolt, but it was raining so I decided to see if I could adapt the magazine to be flush. We�ll it is possible with a little bit of work, fitting, and two part epoxy. I am now �limited� to two shots, but the gun sure feels better in the hands.

Before
[Linked Image]

After
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Any chance someone could re-post the photos please? The links are dead and I'd like to attempt this modification.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 62 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.