Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
right on kutenay like you mention everyone hopefully can obtain their desires in cutters.--cranky72

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I always wondered how one would be for a useful tool but it just never qiute seemed to be "it". The weight forward heavy angle spine might be good for splitting ribs or pelvis, while the bellied blade wouldn't be unusable it would be harder to sharpen.

I'd like to try a similar design blade out of 01 or A2, maybe 8670M. It would be my intention to make it to replace the hatchet, saw, and big knife in a pack. I rarely bring a hatchet, but miss having one at times.

This whole idea may be mental masturbation. The older I get the less inclined I am to be found needing to primitive camp. As for dressing game, I'm more of a 4" blade or even less kind of guy, as long as it'll stay sharp I'm pretty happy.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I guess I must be a "junk man" at heart......

[Linked Image]

cause I do like vintage Pumas as well as other production "junk".

JAPPF,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Geeze geed, are those Doziers you have listed as production junk?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might as well list the models wink

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm more of a Puma Hunters Pal kinda guy.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

The Puma White Hunter is an iconic knife, designed to be used by professional hunters in the former German colonies in Africa. The blade is heavily influenced by native African bushknives from those areas.
The Puma White hunter (especially good vintage pieces) is a sought after collectors piece by European Puma collectors - though I have only, in all my life, met two hunters who acrually carried and used one.

Here is my personal Puma White Hunter II from 1996, a rare (shorter) variant of the White Hunter, that is no longer in production:

[Linked Image]
1996 Puma White Hunter II by Elbæk, on Flickr

The German made knives are still very high quality - and expensive, my favourite one is my Puma Original Bowie:

[Linked Image]
Making charcloth and playing w. new gear at the allotment October 13. 2012 by Elbæk, on Flickr

Puma IP knives are made in Spain, and are cheaper than the German made Puma knives. My Puma IP Grizzly Stag Bowie is a good example:

[Linked Image]
Mine's bigger than yours - Puma IP Grizzly Stag Bowie by Elbæk, on Flickr

The cheapest Puma knives are the Puma TEC series, manufactured in the Far East. The quality of those waries a lot - but there are a few rather nice small folding knives among the Tec series. I have none myself though.

I also have the German made model Jagdnicker, with the fixed blade and folding saw and gut opener in the handle. I will snap some photos of that asap.

Last edited by RedBeardDane; 05/03/15.

Enjoying the simple things in life; a day out hunting, meat on the griddle, a sip of good bourbon and a night under the stars...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an early 1970s vintage PWH with a wood handle. I bought it for my first elk hunt in 1972, as this style of knife was referred to as an "elk knife" in some circles. Never did end up using it and it has spent all of its time on a shelf or in a plastic tote box.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Never cared for the looks or ergos of the White Hunter, a pre-date code Senior is my edc knife....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2- Pre-64's

[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
329 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.