Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/hunting/en_us/binoculars/terraed.html

This showed up in another optics forum the other day and I figured it would merit a post if for nothing else than informational value.

As far as I know these will be around $500 and very likely will not be made in Germany.

Personally, I look forward to seeing one of these.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think the big boys have recognized that $2000 glass ain't for everybody. In fact it's for the relative few, especially in today's economy. Zeiss and Swaro (CL) recognize that. Leupold will have an HD bino shortly, the McKinley (not made in USA) that promises a "wow" factor. Competition is fierce to say the least.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I think the big boys have recognized that $2000 glass ain't for everybody. In fact it's for the relative few, especially in today's economy. Zeiss and Swaro (CL) recognize that. Leupold will have an HD bino shortly, the McKinley (not made in USA) that promises a "wow" factor. Competition is fierce to say the least.

I can't wait to see this McKinley

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Did you notice they also have the Terra riflescopes as well.

edit: I see that Doug posted that earlier.

Last edited by djpepper; 01/07/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
looks like the old conquest lineup might be going away

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The existing Conquest line is being trimmed to 7 SKU's:

6.5-20x50 in Z-Plex #20 & MilDot #43 reticles

3-12x56 #8

3.5-10x50 Z-Plex #20

3-9x50 Z-Plex #20

4.5-14x50 Z-Plex #20 in both the Target and Hunting versions

When Zeiss announced this we cut a deal with them and loaded up on the following scopes (of course at very reduced prices):

3-9x40 Z-Plex #20 in both Matte Black & Stainless

3-9x50's in Black and Stainless #20 Z-Plex, #4 and Rapid-Z 600 versions

3.5-10x44's in Black and Stainless #20 Z-Plex, #4, Rapid-Z 600 & Rapid-Z 800 versions

3.5-10x50's in Black and Stainless #20 Z-Plex, #4, Rapid-Z 600 & Rapid-Z 800 versions

4.5-14x44's in Black and Stainless #20 Z-Plex, Stainless Rapid-Z 800, as well as Matte Black #4, #43 MilDot & Rapid-Z 1000

4.5-14x50's in Black and Stainless #20 Z-Plex, #4 & Rapid-Z 1000 versions

6.5-20x50's in #20 Hunting and Target, #20 Stainless, Rapid-Z Varmint in both Black and Stainless & Black #43 & #4's

These scopes have been selling like crazy and zeiss has no more so if you are interested click on one of the links or call me or Neil @ 212-753-5128

=====================================================================

The new Terra ED Binoculars are $349.99 for the 8x42 and $399.99 for the 10x42

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

I found a wizard and asked him if he can remove a curse I had been living with for the last 20 years. The Wizard says, "What were the exact words that were used to put the curse on you." I say without hesitation, "I now pronounce you man and wife."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

I'll likely give one of those a whirl. Or try yours. laugh

Now the Terra rifle scopes intrigue me as well. Well, except for the 3.54" of eye relief across the line. sick

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well this went from the Terra to the McKinley pretty quick smile . I think the McKinley will be announced at the SHOT show. For a change it seems they will be available for order then, so no waiting around, twiddling thumbs until it finally shows up.

It's a high end Green Ring model. I think it will remind you somewhat of the discontinued Gold Ring, and...NO it is Not the Gold Ring repackaged...so let's put that aside before it pops up. There is not likely to be many flies on the McKinley.

On another note the Zeiss Terra looks kind of Minox like I think. And that is not a statement from me that Minox has anything to do with this.

Last edited by SteveC99; 01/08/13.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Doug, do you have these yet?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I decided to bump this up a little. On Bird Forum today, Steve Ingraham, who some may remember from his days independently doing binocular reviews on the "Better View Desired" site, popped in with his first post on that forum. He has worked for Zeiss ever since he left BVD. His post is quoted below. There is some good information there.

The BF thread is linked here and also provides some good info
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2650311#post2650311

Steve Ingraham
"Let's lay a few things from this thread to rest.
1) all the TERRA EDs anyone has seen are PROTOTYPES, and the armor is Rapid Prototyping Material, not the final armor. As it happens it has very similar consistency and feel to final armor, but NO CONCLUSIONS should be drawn as to the smell smile

2) The official TERRA ED story.
We (ZEISS Sports Optics) made a decision several years ago to bring the ZEISS Premium experience to new groups of birders and wildlife observers. We see the ZEISS Premium Experience as being a combination of exceptional optical performance...the brightest, highest resolution, highest contrast images available...and superior mechanical quality and performance, which includes a well balanced, easy hold, and smooth, relatively rapid, focus.
Our VICTORY Binoculars will continue to set the absolute standard for quality and permanence. They are essentially hand made in Germany. It is our intention that they simply have on competition. They are the best.
The Conquest HD line of binoculars are intended to be competitive with premium offerings from other European makers, including glasses which cost twice as much. They use a High Definition Lens design, which includes ED glass. They have the same "quality of view"...bright, sharp images...as the Victories, and the same excellent ergonomics, though in a more compact body design. We offer them at exceptional value. All CONQUETS HD products are marked Made in (binoculars), or Assembled in (riflescopes) Germany.
TERRA ED Binoculars are designed, engineered, and quality assured in Germany. In order to meet a very aggressive price point, and still bring the full ZEISS Premium Experience, assembly is outsourced (for binoculars, to China).

More specifically, since this is a TERRA ED thread, and to cover items already mention in the thread:
The optical design of the TERRA EDs is built around (real) SCHOTT ED glass, to provide the same "quality of view" as their more expensive siblings. They do not have T* Coatings, but the ZEISS MC multicoating has a very similar transmission curve and equal total transmission. We have used ZEISS MC coatings on Conquest riflescopes and binoculars for many years now. The TERRA EDs share the new look and the improved ergonomics of the VICTORY HTs and CONQUEST HDs, but in an even more compact and light weight form. The TERRA EDs are a fully premium product from ZEISS. We have done what we had to do, in today's market, to bring them within reach of those on a budget, beginning and aspiring birders and wildlife observers, and anyone who wants a real premium experience at price most can afford.

No apologies! This is a real ZEISS product and I am proud to be involved in its development (with Gerold Dobler taking the lead in Germany) and to be able to offer it to a whole new group of birders and observers! Everyone I have showed them too has been astounded when I tell them price! They are that good.

To put it another way. This is NOT the Diafun! There will be no Diafuns on my or Mr. Dobler's watch! I promise you that. (And remember, the Diafun reached the market at $700!)

You will be able to judge for yourselves when the TERRA EDs reach dealers in April...or if you get to a festival where I am between now and then. (San Diego or the new Birding Optics and Gear Expo in Columbus OH, anyone?)"

Note he does not say which of the more than a dozen worldwide locations of Schott Factories produce the glass for the Terra ED.

Last edited by SteveC99; 01/29/13.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yeah, I'd like to get my paws on a pair of 10's by spring bruin time.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yeah, I'd like to get my paws on a pair of 10's by spring bruin time.

Dober

Hopefully by St Patty's day

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would work, thx Doug looking forward to getting my eyes on a pair of 10's.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.