Print Thread
Hop To
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have never handled one of these rifles and am curious about their functionality etc. Thanks, Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 25-06. Works fine.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got one in 270. Very accurate rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mine is .30-06

[Linked Image]

Very Accurate, trigger is heavy and not really adjustable or replaceable to something nicer. Bolt handle is 4" too far forward to be any faster than a standard bolt action.

Poole

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks guys. I have a line on one for maybe not much $$$. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I love mine which is an '06, but I have to disagree w/ Bill on speed. Mine is exceptionally accurate and extraordinarily fast. The first deer I shot with it was running dead after the first shot but I was able to put 2 more shots into it before it accepted reality and fell. I do agree with Bill on his assessment of the trigger, but mine is heavy it is also very crisp so the heaviness isn't a huge issue.

The rifle itself is rather lightweight, at least compared to other rifles I own, and while this results in greater felt recoil at the bench it is nice for carrying in the field.

The barrel contains recesses into which the bolt locks; unlike most turnbolts the locking lugs are not integral to the reciever. The reciever is colleted (sp?) around the barrel, and the stock has an aluminum bedding block into which the reciever fits as tight as a glove. The action has as much or more lug bearing surface area lock-up wise as/than any other rifle I'm familiar with.

Mine has never been finicky load-wise. Nearly everything I've put together will shoot into 1.5" at 100 yards, and I have multiple loads that are sub-MOA from 125 Speer TNTs to 180 gr Hornady Int/RNs. While I've become hooked on custom rifles, my Mauser 1996 Straight-Pull is one rifle I'll never get rid of and it has earned the title, "meat getter". It is the rifle against which my much higher priced custom rifles are judged.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One thing I don't like about this rifle is the fact that you have to use an allen wrench to remove the bolt, and once removed the bolt can go into battery by mistake, a condition which requires a bench vice to rectify before replacing it into the action. For this reason I've always wondered whether it would be my first choice on a serious backcountry hunt or not...

G
G
I am in Need of a small item for a mauser 96 Straight Pull. Its the ejector on the Bolt. I went to Numrich and thought I had it, but Was told that it is a very small item. This is for a friend in Africa who has one in 30-06.
Any clues as to where I can find parts other than Numrich??
Thanks

Snakedrvraol.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
784 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 81 invisible), 3,178 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.