Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I arranged for the FFL transfer on one of these today- now I just need to heal up from the two back surgeries I got the last two weeks in a row. I can't wait to get this Ruger tuned up; it's the first left bolt I've treated myself to. cool

There are still four left, if anyone (including Jim getting his second one) is interested.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283682719

Awfully damn tempting...If I hadn't just bought a 45 i've been wanting for so long, I'd probably be all over one of those. blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ringworm
Remington and winchester dont use CHF barrels that I am aware of. Maybe on 22's which is how ruger got started using them. The 10-22T madel had Steyr bbl.
Ruger owns thier machine. bought it in '93 I think, used from CZ when they upgraded. It cost ruger something like 9 million.
Think about the difference between a Japanese tanto and a CSA calvary saber. The hammering. the folding. The temering.
You cant take a piece of tubed carbon steel and drag a button thru it and get the same exact dimensions each time like you can hammering steel over a carbide mandrel.

I have been shooting Steyr's , almost exclusivly, since my forst one in 1998. They amazed me and I started learning about the CHF prosses.
Steyr, SAKO, A zoli, Blaser, Tikka, CZ....
When you hear thosenames does inaccurate ever come to mind?
Ruger barrels are very good. very fine examples of CHF and more smooth off the machine than the best handlapped remington.
But their trigger SUCKS. The last ruger I bought, AND I MEAN THE LAST, was a hawkeye SS.
I shot it beside a 1942 bring back, 100% factory configuaration K98 shooting Nazi stamped ammo.
The out shot the ruger by a large margin using iron sights against a burris 3-9 on the ruger.
The problem. The trigger was 75% the weight of the rifle. theres no way to pull 75% of the rifles weight in the trigger without disturbing sight picture.

here is the article the came out in PR mag...
Precision Shooting Magazine November 2005

Sorry to hear you had problems with your "last" Ruger due to a bad trigger (on a Hawkeye with the LC6 nonetheless).....but the trigger is one of the easiest things to fix on these rifles....Too bad they couldn't go back to the oldstyle adjustable trigger the M77R (tang safety) model had......My hawkeye 308 has a pretty sweet trigger after just replacing the spring and polishing the sear (I don't mean hone or file either, just polish)......Now the M77 MKII's had the worst triggers I've ever seen, you had to either hone to reduce sear engagement, change an angle or 2, polish, and change the spring or replace the whole unit to end up with a nice trigger..what a PITA they are......One thing about a Ruger M77 rifle though, is once you bed them, and refine the trigger they usually end up good shooters. My most recent cheap rifle find was an old tang safety model 77 (300 win mag) that I had cerekoted last week since I knew it was a good shooter (even though they are known to be inacurate sob's). I threw the scope back on the rifle (since I had the rings cerekoted too) and proceeded to check where the POI was so I could adjust the scope. With my last 5 cartridges I had loaded up from the last outing I let them fly and this is how the old girl did (180gr. winchester powerpoint load):

[Linked Image]

This is it after cerekoting:
[Linked Image]

The rifle is bedded with factory pressure point left in, trigger is great and action is slick as my winchester model 70's....Going back to the 308 Hawkeye like the OP first posted, mine shoots just as good as my 300 win mag tang safety shown above......maybe even a tad better grin

You still missing the orange dot mate!!!!

gus

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Remington and winchester dont use CHF barrels that I am aware of. Maybe on 22's which is how ruger got started using them. The 10-22T madel had Steyr bbl.
Ruger owns thier machine. bought it in '93 I think, used from CZ when they upgraded. It cost ruger something like 9 million.
Think about the difference between a Japanese tanto and a CSA calvary saber. The hammering. the folding. The temering.
You cant take a piece of tubed carbon steel and drag a button thru it and get the same exact dimensions each time like you can hammering steel over a carbide mandrel.

I have been shooting Steyr's , almost exclusivly, since my forst one in 1998. They amazed me and I started learning about the CHF prosses.
Ruger barrels are very good. very fine examples of CHF and more smooth off the machine than the best handlapped remington.
But their trigger SUCKS. The last ruger I bought, AND I MEAN THE LAST, was a hawkeye SS.
I shot it beside a 1942 bring back, 100% factory configuaration K98 shooting Nazi stamped ammo.
The out shot the ruger by a large margin using iron sights against a burris 3-9 on the ruger.
The problem. The trigger was 75% the weight of the rifle. theres no way to pull 75% of the rifles weight in the trigger without disturbing sight picture.

Sorry to hear you had problems with your "last" Ruger due to a bad trigger (on a Hawkeye with the LC6 nonetheless).....but the trigger is one of the easiest things to fix on these rifles....Too bad they couldn't go back to the oldstyle adjustable trigger the M77R (tang safety) model had......My hawkeye 308 has a pretty sweet trigger after just replacing the spring and polishing the sear (I don't mean hone or file either, just polish)......Now the M77 MKII's had the worst triggers I've ever seen, you had to either hone to reduce sear engagement, change an angle or 2, polish, and change the spring or replace the whole unit to end up with a nice trigger..what a PITA they are......One thing about a Ruger M77 rifle though, is once you bed them, and refine the trigger they usually end up good shooters. My most recent cheap rifle find was an old tang safety model 77 (300 win mag) that I had cerekoted last week since I knew it was a good shooter (even though they are known to be inacurate sob's). I threw the scope back on the rifle (since I had the rings cerekoted too) and proceeded to check where the POI was so I could adjust the scope. With my last 5 cartridges I had loaded up from the last outing I let them fly and this is how the old girl did (180gr. winchester powerpoint load):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rifle is bedded with factory pressure point left in, trigger is great and action is slick as my winchester model 70's....Going back to the 308 Hawkeye like the OP first posted, mine shoots just as good as my 300 win mag tang safety shown above......maybe even a tad better grin

gus

Hey ol buddy. Yep, that's where it shot after I threw the scope back in the rings after the rifle and rings were cerekoted.....I'll try to tear up some orange for you this weekend at the rimfire competition I'm going to....wish me luck.... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I arranged for the FFL transfer on one of these today- now I just need to heal up from the two back surgeries I got the last two weeks in a row. I can't wait to get this Ruger tuned up; it's the first left bolt I've treated myself to. cool

There are still four left, if anyone (including Jim getting his second one) is interested.

Hope you will like yours as much as I'm liking mine.

I've had that ad on "Watch This" for a while now. Still making up my mind - today it's about 70/30 in favor of getting another one. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I've had that ad on "Watch This" for a while now. Still making up my mind - today it's about 70/30 in favor of getting another one. wink

Yours is nice Jim......you snagged a dang good one there....

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gus_K

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

gus

Hey ol buddy. Yep, that's where it shot after I threw the scope back in the rings after the rifle and rings were cerekoted.....I'll try to tear up some orange for you this weekend at the rimfire competition I'm going to....wish me luck.... wink

Mate it looks great....... I still have my Hawkeye with the Hogue stock - is a tad heavy but shoots great out of the truck over a rest.

Gus

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Update.

Went out yesterday working up some target loads with Sierra 125 grain Spitzers and IMR4895. 4 shot groups at 44, 45 and 46 grains, all very mild loads.

The morning was chilly and windy (gee, windy in Idaho in the spring - go figure!) but 46.0 grains shot the group shown below. That flyer is my signature, it wouldn't be a "Genuine Jim in Idaho" group without one $%&#! flyer. grin But three of those four shots went into .238", that's under 1/4 MOA. From a .308 sporter weight Ruger factory rifle and barrel. The other groups aren't quite as bug holey impressive but I sure wasn't unhappy with any of them.

Anyway - the rifle's performance yesterday finally knocked me off the fence. I went home and hit Buy It Now on a second one. grin

If I can resist shooting the donor the next great decision process will begin - .257 Roberts, .243 AI or something really exotic? I want to take advantage of the longer mag box so the front runners right now are the .257 Bob or a 6mm Remington, but that could change in five minutes.

Not trying to tempt anybody but he still has 4 left. Just sayin'... wink

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
6mm Rem - what a great little cartridge!

Go for it...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Update.

Went out yesterday working up some target loads with Sierra 125 grain Spitzers and IMR4895. 4 shot groups at 44, 45 and 46 grains, all very mild loads.

The morning was chilly and windy (gee, windy in Idaho in the spring - go figure!) but 46.0 grains shot the group shown below. That flyer is my signature, it wouldn't be a "Genuine Jim in Idaho" group without one $%&#! flyer. grin But three of those four shots went into .238", that's under 1/4 MOA. From a .308 sporter weight Ruger factory rifle and barrel. The other groups aren't quite as bug holey impressive but I sure wasn't unhappy with any of them.

Anyway - the rifle's performance yesterday finally knocked me off the fence. I went home and hit Buy It Now on a second one. grin

If I can resist shooting the donor the next great decision process will begin - .257 Roberts, .243 AI or something really exotic? I want to take advantage of the longer mag box so the front runners right now are the .257 Bob or a 6mm Remington, but that could change in five minutes.

Not trying to tempt anybody but he still has 4 left. Just sayin'... wink

[Linked Image]

Lookin good, love it when the ol Ruger m77's shoot....Makes a lot of guys with high standards (not going to mention anyone whistle), realize maybe it was them and not their rifles with the deficiency problem.........I'd go with the 6mm rem too since I've been having a lot of fun with mine.....Great little round....

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Are there any left? On Gun broker they say they are out, E mailed seller. Can,t let Jim corner the market.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Why couldn't they put a normal salt and pepper laminate on it instead of this funky green-black-brown combo? But after living with it a while the combination is becoming "interesting". wink

[Linked Image]
(Just noticed but that stock does camouflage nicely against my muddy ol' weedy back yard.)

I just read this whole thread. Didn't notice anyone mention this. Don't y'all remember the Winchester WinCam stocks?

I have a 12 ga & 9422M with the Win WinCam stocks.

They do CAMO very well.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Are there any left? On Gun broker they say they are out, E mailed seller. Can,t let Jim corner the market.
Supposedly he has 4 left. This listing started with 5 but I reduced it by one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286192816

I'm a little curious whether this seller got some more in or what. He had a 12 day fixed price auction with five listed. I watched it as it came to a close Thursday night and he had sold three leaving two showing. Then Friday he re-listed with five again. I got one. Once you buy one of these fixed price Dutch auction deals they start a new listing with a different auction number.

His ad comes across as him being kind of demanding - "do it my way or piss off" - (I'm reminded of Bricktop) and his email reasponses are short and curt, but on the phone he was okay and was perfectly willing to read off the serial numbers he had so I could pick the one I wanted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of us have been touting them for some time, got quite a bit of flack about it too.
I was checking the POI of a couple rifles this weekend, and dug out the old M77 Tang Saftey 250 Savage that I hadn't shot in a while. I had some 87 TNTs loaded with Big Game that I'd been wanting to sight it for. First 3 shot group out the gate went into a tight cluster, adjusted the scope as it started sprinkling rain and got everything put up. Really need to shoot that one some more, but that first group was under half an inch! Does real well with 75 Sierras, just wish it would do better with 100 grain deer bullets. I've worked and worked with different things, but always get flyers opening a group to 1 1/4" with the 100s.
I've got M77 MKIIs in 22-250 and 257 Roberts that are well below MOA and really like the looks of the MKIIs and Hawkeyes.
The only thing I have to complain about them is the weight. Nearly 9 pounds all up for these small caliber rifles seams more than a bit pudgy. Hear the Hawkeyes have dropped a half pound or so.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
And now there are 3 left

kk alaska

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Finally I can say I'm a ruger fan and know I am not alone! grin

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That stock is just weird. Why couldn't they put a normal salt and pepper laminate on it instead of this funky green-black-brown combo? But after living with it a while the combination is becoming "interesting". wink

[Linked Image]
(Just noticed but that stock does camouflage nicely against my muddy ol' weedy back yard.)

Did someone say, "Camoflage"?

AFAIK Winchester brought this design out first. No big deal if NOT. Regardless I like it and have 2 and have looked for another of a particular caliber.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry the second pic is a little blurry. I didn't have time to take other pics and choose.

Also where I live, I try to AVOID being seen OUTSIDE w/firearms.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska
And now there are 3 left
Thank you! Did you tell him that Jim in Idaho sent you? I'm working on commission... wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No. but getting more of the LH Ruger (Initial Public Offering) IPO
stock is getting expensive. But I waited a few days for the price to drop!

Now need to unload some RH rifles and a few LH.

kk alaska

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, Remington has been using hammer-forged barrels on their mass-production centerfires for years. The barrels on Rugers have been more consistent since they started making their own, but a lot of the barrels before then shot quite well too.

One thing I have noticed in the past few years is Ruger's barrels look like they've been lapped--not as much as a hand-lapped custom barrel, but enough to take remove some of the rougher spots. Or at least that's what they look like through my bore-scope. Some look absolutely perfect.

The triggers on the Mark II 77's and the slightly improved version on the Hawkeye may not be perfect out of the box, but they're really easy to fix. Even I can convert them to a safe, crisp 2-3 pound pull in about half an hour.

Usually any of the Ruger centerfire bolt-actions shoots better if the barrel's free-floated. I don't know why they don't just do that at the factory with all their models, but for some they don't.

I've been fiddling with a acquaintance's new Ruger rifle in 308 Winchester. Before any shooting, I pushed a couple of patches wet with Butch's through the bore. After a dry patch, I gave it a dozen strokes with a bronze brush loaded with Ballistol. After a couple of dry patches it was off to the range.

Twenty rounds of Remington match ammo were fired in the course of showing J the ropes about scope mounting, bore sighting, dialing for zero, dialing for distance, and helping a newbie to centerfires have a blast banging the 300 yard gong his first time out. grin

Last night I used Montana X-treme to patch/soak the bore. There was not a single hint of blue on any of the patches, including after an overnight soak.

I realize that's after only twenty shots, but I believe it to be an nice result from a brand new mass produced barrel. I don't have a bore scope to look inside, but as old Forrest might say in this situation: Smooth is as smooth does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't had a good one yet. You had to have all that work done to get it to shoot?????

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
386 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.