Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Both are 20mm but I've never had trouble with light gathering on the 1" version....

I know the illuminated version with the 30mm tube is listed as a 1.5-5x20mm, but I don't see how they can use the same 20mm objective lens in the 1" scope and 30mm scope. If they did, the tube in the 30mm scope would need to be about 10mm thick (i.e. 50% of the diameter of the lens). I figure that is why many/most other 30mm scopes have a 24mm objective lens.

I very well could be wrong, but I have a suspicion that the 30mm scope has a larger objective lens than 20mm....

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not the one I compared.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You might also want to check out the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1. If you want an illuminated reticle, there is that option. It's new for 2013.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'm considering a Burris E1 2-7. Anybody have experience with one? Gives a little more on the top end if you can deal if 2x on the bottom.

While not the E1, I have a 2-7x Fullfield II with the "German #4" reticle on my DD V7 and am very happy with it. This is my hunting AR and the optics are bright and clear, the power range is right, adjustments spot on, eye relief good and it is relatively compact and light so seems to look "right" on the rifle. I bought it when Natchez' had them on sale for $99 a year or so ago and wish I would have bought a few.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the Burris TAC 1-4... 1 power is true 1 power.

Great scope for the money and you can get it in FDE too.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Thanks. May I ask what reticle you prefer?

According to Leupold's website, the 1.5-5 illuminated appears to be available in German 4 Dot, Duplex and Circle Dot.

I am running the Duplex. I used the vertical hair for holdovers. I did want to try the Circle Dot one for a T&E though, just never did.

Yes, I very much do prefer the low powered variables over a non magnified RDO. I was issued an RDO (EOTECH). It offered no target discrimination. A low powered variable is a substantially more flexible optic and can handle a far wider range of situations better.

I kept mine on 1.5x and shot with both eyes open, just like I would with an RDO, for close range unanticipated contacts.

When I needed to look more closely at something or someone, I simply dialed it up. If I needed to take a more precise shot, I simply dialed up. Target discrimination is critical and is something that I could write pages on, but is hard to explain in a short amount of time/space.

If I dial up and get on target, rather than finding a target with binos, then go back to a rifle with an RDO, reacquire a target, which may or may not be there still, and attempt to engage I may have just lost my window of opportunity. These things are fluid and rapidly change.

Long story short, the low power variable has a huge advantage in both sporting and tactical applications.

MS

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One decent value for a great bit of glass, is the Weaver Classic Extreme line. Natchez Shooters has the 1.5x4.5, 30mm scopes, with illuminated German #4 reticle, for $269.
This is a very good scope, with excellent glass. I have been using one for almost three years now, with no complaints.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mannlicher,

Thanks for that suggestion. It looks like Natchez now has only the illuminated duplex in stock. The German # 4 appears to be sold out. Regardless, I think the duplex would be fine for my needs.

I did some Internet searching, and this scope receives favorable reviews. From what I've found, it looks like it is made in Japan by Light Optical Works. Before being discontinued, it looks like it was sold as a $500-$600 scope.

I saw one review which said that the scope was sold when Meade owned Weaver and then it was discontinued when Weaver was taken over by ATK, who had other ideas in mind.

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this scope right now, but I'm still up in the air about saving up for a Leupold or Burris, but at about 2x the cost. I could get the Weaver and a Larue Mount for about the same price as just the other scopes alone.

Anyone else have any input on the Weaver Classic Extreme scope?

Thanks.

Edited to add:

The information in my original post may be incorrect. I found some more recent info which indicates that ATK (new owner of Weaver) continued to make the Classic Extreme as a Natchez exclusive, but the newer ones are now made in the Phillipines. One Internet poster said that he questioned ATK/Weaver, and they admitted this in an email to him and stated that the new Classic Extreme scope is not as high quality as the older Japanese made scopes were.

This makes sense to me because some of the other reviews I read were from people who were buying the discontinued models back in 2009. I was wondering how Natchez would still have a continuing supply of these given that they would have been essentially selling them at half-price for three or four years without running out of stock.

Of course, it's the Internet. Who knows what info is accurate....

Here is a link to the Internet post:

Varminthunters

Last edited by CoalCracker; 02/02/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the managers at Natchez told me on the phone, that the new Weaver Classic Extremes are indeed made in the PI. The quality though, is said to be as good as the Japanese scopes. They are fully warranted, and they guarantee your satisfaction.

Sam......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Anyone use the Nikon P-223 riflescope in 3-9? Looks like a good deal at $200 at Cabelas. I just bought an AR and I'm overwhelmed with all the add on options. Thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
GSP, I have been using the P-223 3-9 BDC 600 for a few months now. So far it was worked very well for me. I have only shot at paper target's from 50 to 100 yards with no changes in accuracy or need to make any additional scope adjustment's after initial 100 yard zero. Make sure you check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in your scope,rifle and ammo for maximum accuracy. For 2013 Nikon now has a P-223 in 4-12 BDC 600 to add to the P-Series line of scopes.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/p-2233-9.jpg

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.