-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mine,with a 432 gr arrow,at 54 lbs draw,yeilds 198 fps,good for about 45 lbs of KE,if IIRC.
I see the big mechanical broadheads recommend a bow with" high kinetic energy" to ensure penetration,but nowhere do I see what level is considered "high energy".
I can crank my bow up to seventy lbs draw,but want to keep a heavier arrow than the 350 gr standard for the IBO standard.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mine has 85.38 lbs.....I'd consider that a lot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
usually anything over 70 ft lbs is high some may say 75lbs and up.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
N
N
Rage makes a mechanical for lower KE bows, or look for a mechanical with a 1.5" cut or lower.

My MR5 shoots a 517gr arrow at 295fps netting me 100lbs of KE

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Guys,I don't know squat about compounds.I just wanted to caution anyone to not fall into the old bigger is better trap and I can take a less than perfect shot because my ------ is so powerful.It's a mind set that all hunters have to guard against.

IC B2

N
N
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Guys,I don't know squat about compounds.I just wanted to caution anyone to not fall into the old bigger is better trap and I can take a less than perfect shot because my ------ is so powerful.It's a mind set that all hunters have to guard against.

I think most compound guys Obsess over FPS not KE. For me I just wanted an arrow that I could front load for a high FOC that would spine well for my bow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything over 50 is plenty for critters up to elk. It's more about where the arrow is placed than how powerful it is.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Are you concerned with the proper function of the broad head you want or have or with killing stuff. I never used a mechanical and have no desire but will tell you a well placed SHARP head out of a #45-#50 bow will kill most anything that creeps NA.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to try one of the mechanicals with the 2" cutting diameter,but want to ensure adequate penetration.dont have any yet,considering possibilities.

I am slowly getting my new-to-me bow ready to go for next year.I been shooting at work(indoor 60 yard range!) and just cranked up my draw two full turns,and next need to get a new sight,and need to make another target.
something to do when its -29 below outside!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So...I'm shooting a 400 grn wooden arrow at 140 fps. What does that give me? I know it'll shoot through any deer...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
400140= 17.4 ft/lbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally I desire to impart the least energy possible into the game I shoot.

I want my arrow and broad head to slide through the body with out any impact friction or energy delivery.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the point is that you need the Kinetic Energy to open the broadhead, it would be the responsible thing to know. I remember seeing broad heads for low K.E. bows this season. 40 foot pounds or less, I think. In the archery safety class I teach, we recommend at least 50 pounds draw weight for expandable heads. The legal minimum is 40 pounds.

I've used Spitfire heads by NAP for a good 20 years. I have shot 60-62 pound bows for most of that time with the average "350 spine" 8-9g.p.i. arrows. Virtually every bow I've had has landed me somewhere between 265 and 270 fps. It has worked well.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rob,

Interesting observation. Many of the bows you used at 60-62 lbs are at 265-270 fps

I have a Chronograph, so most of the guys I know want to use it from time to time for a speed check. I shoot an old 63# Mathews Switchback and it's at 280fps with 425 grain arrows. Right in the same speed and weight range you see.

I've seen plenty of heartbreak on the faces of folks with new bows that shoot over the Chronograph and see 275-285 FPS with their super high speed bows. They then come back with 50-75 grain lighter arrows, after losing some accuracy, and see 300-310fps. Then they are all happy that they get this high speed. Only to see their arrows no longer shoot clean through the animals, as they did with the "old" slow bow and big heavy clumsy arrows?

I'll be the first to admit that shooting arrows at 20-25 yards with 300plus FPS is wicked impressive. They seem to be in the target at the instant the trigger is pulled!

Pulling them out the block target is also much easier then shooting the heavy arrows at 265-280fps is.......... HHHmmmmm Why would that be???? Guess it's cause they are in the target about three inches less?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's a shame that the big money arrow manufacturers and bow manufacturers cannot get together and make the charts for the kenetic energy of the thousands of possibilities in arrow weights and lengths,bow speeds and foc. They just keep putting the monkey on each others back and leave it to the consumer to figure it out.
One thing about light fast arrows they get there quick, but just do not bring a lot with them. The farther they go, the less they have. Drop a ping pong ball and a baseball at the same time and quess what kind of energy each has when they hit the ground.
The front of center weight must also be considered or the arrow may have enough weight but in the wrong place for good penetration.
I personaly like a heavy arrow, with heavy front of center moving at a good speed to prevent a large gap between 20 and 40 yards. I also want the arrow spine to match my front end weight and bow poundage so I do not get an arrow that bare shafts to the left or right.
It all sounds so easy doesn't it......It's a science for sure but can be done.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.