Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
243kid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Has anyone ever tried using Rolled On Bed Liner on a gunstock? I am looking for something to give me a little grip on a Kimber Montana stock. Any suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen pictures and it looks like *hit, get some Krylon textured or something along that lines.

Life is just one damned thing after another
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Rubber spray in a can. spray it on the areas you want grip. dont ovedue it.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I have a mix that I spray on stcks that matches the HS Precision type of texture, got the recipe from a former employee. If you are wanting a heavy texture, the epoxy grip panels work really well. There's how-to's if you Google it. If you need any help, PM me and I'll tell you how to do it. This stock was a smooth finish laminate before I did the HS coating on it.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
IIRC Finn Aagard wrote about masking around the area you want more grip. Then brush with epoxy, sprinkle on some sand, remove tape before epoxy hardens. After the epoxy is hard, paint over your new "checkering".

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or get some spray grit from Brownell's which is already black (other colors available) and has a desirable grit.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The easiest way I have found is ttape off the area you want grip, thinly brush on epoxy, and sprinkle fine sandblasting sand with a salt shaker. Spray over it with epoxy spay paint (appliance paint from Home Depot, Lowes, ect). I do the whole stock with it to blend and lock the grit in. If it's too much just knock it back lightly with some sand paper. Then cover it all with some Krylon camo paint. I don't know how long it last, but mine has held up for years.

I use to use the Brownell's spray grit, but in my opinion it's a PITA. Not as consistent as the control you have sprinkling it on. The nosal doesn't self clean like regular paint as it's epoxy, so you either have to soak it in acetone or buy the extra nosal for it. Plus it's expensive.

I put grit on the top rails on my fiberglass boat with epoxy, a little roller, the sand blast sand, white epoxy appliance paint, and it came out great and has been durable.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There is an autobody product called GravelGuard that provides all the texture needed on a stock , and it's made to be painted over ! It's tough as nails too , it's made for protecting paint from chipping , on rocker and quarter panels .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Or for real aggressive texturing reach for some devcon 10110. Tape out the outline, lay it on super thin and then use a sponge to blot it, the little spikes will stay up and after it dries you can leave it up or knock it down with sandpaper to the desired texture.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by magtech

I've been wondering if this stuff would be similar to a Duratouch/Maxxguard coating? Anybody ever try it?

http://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-26...=8-2&keywords=rustoleum+rubber+clear

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I paint all of my composite stokes the same

I lay a very good wet coat of Krylon Fusion on the entire stock

Then before that initial base coat dries I shoot a good amount of Rust Olium "stone" then let that all dry over night

I then lay several more coats of Krylon Fusion over the stone paint followed by another texture of webbing with Krylon webbing paint

Let this all dry over night and follow up with a couple coats of Krylon matte clear

The look is like any factory web stock but with far better grip via the bumpy underlayment of the stone paint

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great idea and super easy to do!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DP4
Originally Posted by magtech

I've been wondering if this stuff would be similar to a Duratouch/Maxxguard coating? Anybody ever try it?

http://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-26...=8-2&keywords=rustoleum+rubber+clear

Here's some more professional choices that would probably get you something very close to the Duratouch / Maxxguard coating.

http://shop.ozarkshydrographics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CCSoftTouch-QUART

http://www.hydraphics.com/catalog/hydraphics-soft-touch-rubberized-clear-coat-p-173.html

Quando omni flunkus moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.