Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7366888 01/26/13
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone care to critique this LR design as compared to others in any application.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are a lot of bullets that go by the name Postell. I would not consider any of them in the top tier of long range bullets, but they are still pretty good bullets at shorter ranges. As a midrange/silhouette bullet they may still excel.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Postell as currently made by lyman, and the original postell are two different bullets.
The original postell is closer to what the Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet profile is.
Either version of the postell will and has worked to the 1000 yd line, but as Brent said there are some better designs being used.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well fellas after looking over a multitude of bullets what puzzles me a tad are the very small differences in so many bullet configs at or around 500 grs give or take[specifically greasers]. Given these slow velocities it would seem to be more shooter/individual preference than an actual #1 best overall design as I see many different mould manufacturers represented with the competitive target crowd.

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What it will really boil down to is which bullet are you and your rifle happy with...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, for huunting and killing tasty critters, the blunter the beak the better it smashes them to oblivion.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Well, for huunting and killing tasty critters, the blunter the beak the better it smashes them to oblivion.

Yeah and those flyin paper wrapped bricks seem to wurk OK too!

Woody
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Well fellas after looking over a multitude of bullets what puzzles me a tad are the very small differences in so many bullet configs at or around 500 grs give or take[specifically greasers]. Given these slow velocities it would seem to be more shooter/individual preference than an actual #1 best overall design as I see many different mould manufacturers represented with the competitive target crowd.

Yup, it depends on purpose and priorities. Accuracy, ease of chambering and fouling management, killing power, intended distances - all come into play.

As I posted earlier, my .45 Brooks Postell mould was purchased for steel buffalo herd, so that repeated rounds could be chambered without wiping or using the blow tube. Both shape and dimensions were specified for that purpose.

My long range bullet has been the Paul Jones Creedmoor, a bore rider design. It is virtually impossible to chamber subsequent rounds without wiping or blowing. More recently I went to a Buffalo Arms paper patched bullet, but for a different rifle, not that it matters. Both had factory chambers.

For those who haven't BTDT, shooting BPCRs beyond about 600 yards is a whole different ball game, with special challenges. From 800 to 1000 it becomes almost geometrically more difficult. Point is, if you really don't plan on shooting at longer ranges, it is easier to choose and manage your BPCR and equipment, at least in a relative sense.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the intended purpose of the bullet is hunting, then either something in the original Sharps or government profiles, or a parallel sided flat nose bullet is my choice. (And don't underestimate the Sharps and government abilities on longrange targets as an added benefit)

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WAY too much ado about "Killing Power" as relates to the design of BPCR alloy bullets here. 500+ Grain bullets KILL animals, and quite handily.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
WAY too much ado about "Killing Power" as relates to the design of BPCR alloy bullets here. 500+ Grain bullets KILL animals, and quite handily.

GTC

eekonly if the yanker of the trigger does a good job of being the sight linerupper too, and the combination hits sumptin. grin

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

FlyboyFlem

"Given these slow velocities"

It ain't necessarily how fast a bullet starts out; rather what's it still doing when it gets to where one wants it to go! I once ran a comparison betwixt a 155 gr. Palma bullet starting out at 3000 fps vs a 550 gr. bullet from a Sharps starting out at 1250 fps...out to 1000 yds. IIRC...the 155 was down to 1400 fps or lost over half of its starting speed. The 550 gr. was still trucking along at around 900 fps so as for considerations...IMO the Sharps bullet is slightly more efficient.

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.