Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I am using a lot of bullseye powder and am trying various load weights, and got sick and tired of not having a powder dispenser (using scales/trickler)... Decided to spend next-to-nothing (25-bucks) and buy a lee perfect powder measure (PPM) and see how it worked, since I like many of the other Lee products... just got through setting it up and loading 250 cases using 3.2 grains of bullseye, and weighing what the PPM was throwing every 5 cases or so... All I can say is: "good grief!" this crazy, plastic, cheap-looking, totally inexpensive measure just kept chunking out measure-after-measure well-within very small tolerances.... WOW! I'm sure many of you will now reply how well your Harrell measure does (and I'm sure your absolutely right!), but for the money, I'm kind of "gob-smacked" right now on that silly-looking, plastic, cheap, Lee perfect powder measure... I actually started laughing at it's accuracy, compared to it's looks as I was loading up those shells and cross-testing the accuracy.
This was way-too-funny an evening!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice may have to buy one myself. Glad its working out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used several over the last 8-9 years and the flimsy, plastic Lee Perf Powder Measure has always surprised me with how well it works. I'd though about making a post in the reloading section about recommendations for the "best" measure out there and wanted to hear what others thought.....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I like using hand dippers smile

I also have the Lee Auto-disk and I figured a way of using it with one hand so you can use it to dispense powder to the cases on your tray, i.e. not have to bring the case to your press.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have a Lee measure, but I do use a little dandy rotor measure for my pistol reloading (when I am not running the Dillon). I like the no brainer approach. I have a set a hand dippers, too, that I have used for certain cartridges for years.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Tom, have heard the little dandy is very good.
I also use dippers, and they are very repeatable as well.
It's all good.

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good info if i need another PF at any time & it' surely priced right; I use a Redding 3BR & it's never been lacking in the accuracy & consistency departments.

MM

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I started out using dippers and thought I was moving up in the world when I got my first Lee PPM. After a while, it started getting gritty to work and leaked grains of fine powder like 2400. I took it apart and wiped the powder out and reassembled it, and it was even worse. Used it a while then cleaned it out again, and after some thousands of rounds, it's never leaked a grain since.

And yeah, it measures as close as matters with pretty much everything. All the plastic makes it feel a little bendy, but it sure holds up.

I'm a fan of Lee stuff.

Ella

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As long as you stick to flake powders, the LPM works great. Ball powders tend to scour the rotor and short-stick powders tend to bugger up the polymer "slicer" (for some reason long-stick does better - go figure).

Its a good dispenser - I use a couple of them.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Only problem I have with mine is when you need a charge "in between " the disc sizes. If I need 3.2 gr of universal I'm screwed, It's either 3.0 or 3.4 . Thinking of getting another set of discs and reaming some of the holes till I can get the charge I want. The damn thing is consistent though.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla
As long as you stick to flake powders, the LPM works great. Ball powders tend to scour the rotor and short-stick powders tend to bugger up the polymer "slicer" (for some reason long-stick does better - go figure).

Its a good dispenser - I use a couple of them.

I used one years ago and had good luck with it, but like you point out, fine ball powders can cause problems. I used to burn a lot of Accurate Arms #5 and #7 powders, which are pretty fine and they scoured the rotor and caused gritty performance. Otherwise I found the inexpensive little unit to work quite well. A feature that I really like about it is that with a simple twist of the hopper I can stop the flow of powder and pull the hopper off to empty it back into the canister when I'm done with it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
The "perfect powder measure" is set by a micrometer, not by disks, so you can dial in exactly what you want. (no predefined disk holes)

--- Will Rogers
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My bad, I read Lee and assumed it was an auto disc.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mine is okay but doesn't measure h4831 well at all

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.