Print Thread
Hop To
W
worm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Guys I'm considering buying a Benelli R1 30-06 ComforTech Rifle anybody shot this gun?? any help would be appreciated.

BP-B6

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My son and I each have a carbine 30-06 R1 with wood stocks. Both are accurate and both have been 100% reliable over about 1500 rounds fired between them. I do not think the comfortech stock really does much to soak up recoil. Our R1's without the comfortech our the softest shooting 30-06's I have ever shot, the majority of recoil reduction is due to the gas action.

The gas action uses a dual piston system and does not dump hot gases into the action. It stays much cleaner and is much more reliable than some autoloaders on the market. This autoloader allows you to remove the barrel and clean the barrel from the rear like a bolt.

Disassembly is relatively quick and easy as is reassembly. When reassembled our R1's return to zero or very close - never off by more than 1" or so. Initially, I cleaned fairly regularly, but have found the design so reliable that I just do a strip/clean prior to sight-in for the season, then leave it alone for the year. Early R1's had a different lock-up system that didn't produce consistent barrel to receiver lock-up and as such accuracy and zero return after re-assembly were hit or miss. All rifles manufactured since sometime in 2009 have the newer system and don't have those issues.

The rifles have 2 stage triggers. If you've never shot a rifle with a two stage trigger, it's a little different. There is an initial take-up before it breaks in the 2nd stage. Both of our rifles have pretty decent triggers for hunting rifles.

The rifles come with a picatinny rail with built in elevation (I think it's 20MOA) - use the rail! The rifle needs the rail with extra elevation just to shoot mid-pt with most scopes. Use rings one size lower than you would normally think for scopes as the rail adds height.

The stock adjustment works well and is adjustable for height and cant. When properly set-up, I find I shoot running targets better with this rifle than any I have ever tried. My son and I use them to great effect on Texas hogs, deer and coyotes - we have been very pleased with their performance over-all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2009/2009%20Hunt%20pics/IMG_0341.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2010/IMG_0134.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2010/IMG_0473.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2011/JosephsBuck/IMG_0555.jpg[/img]

Regards,

David

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Canazes9
My son and I each have a carbine 30-06 R1 with wood stocks. Both are accurate and both have been 100% reliable over about 1500 rounds fired between them. I do not think the comfortech stock really does much to soak up recoil. Our R1's without the comfortech our the softest shooting 30-06's I have ever shot, the majority of recoil reduction is due to the gas action.

The gas action uses a dual piston system and does not dump hot gases into the action. It stays much cleaner and is much more reliable than some autoloaders on the market. This autoloader allows you to remove the barrel and clean the barrel from the rear like a bolt.

Disassembly is relatively quick and easy as is reassembly. When reassembled our R1's return to zero or very close - never off by more than 1" or so. Initially, I cleaned fairly regularly, but have found the design so reliable that I just do a strip/clean prior to sight-in for the season, then leave it alone for the year. Early R1's had a different lock-up system that didn't produce consistent barrel to receiver lock-up and as such accuracy and zero return after re-assembly were hit or miss. All rifles manufactured since sometime in 2009 have the newer system and don't have those issues.

The rifles have 2 stage triggers. If you've never shot a rifle with a two stage trigger, it's a little different. There is an initial take-up before it breaks in the 2nd stage. Both of our rifles have pretty decent triggers for hunting rifles.

The rifles come with a picatinny rail with built in elevation (I think it's 20MOA) - use the rail! The rifle needs the rail with extra elevation just to shoot mid-pt with most scopes. Use rings one size lower than you would normally think for scopes as the rail adds height.

The stock adjustment works well and is adjustable for height and cant. When properly set-up, I find I shoot running targets better with this rifle than any I have ever tried. My son and I use them to great effect on Texas hogs, deer and coyotes - we have been very pleased with their performance over-all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2009/2009%20Hunt%20pics/IMG_0341.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2010/IMG_0134.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2010/IMG_0473.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/Canazes9/2011/JosephsBuck/IMG_0555.jpg[/img]

Regards,

David

Thanks for the writeup on these rifles. I love their shotguns and can only think their rifles are every bit as good. I like the look of the wood or synthetic as well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am a fan of my Binelli shotgun, but mine is inertia not gas. Friends with the gas guns are equally impressed.

I have had a long affair with Browning semi-auto BARs, and have two higher grade ones now, but I do not think I would purchase another semi-auto, until the political hysteria subsides. NY has pending legislation banning them and CT wants all magazine arms gone, leaving only single shots. I'm not sure how these will fare in the legislatures, but I am postponing buying a BAR or Binelli carbine until I see what congress does or does not. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
worm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks for all the information this will be my next semi-auto gun

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone have experience with the R1 and the BAR? Which one is preferred? I'm glad to see some updated accuracy reports as all the posts I see when it first came out said it was maybe a 2" - 3" gun at 100 yards.

I'm trying to decide between an older BAR and a new Benelli - in 30-06 or maybe 308 (for the BAR).

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
Anyone have experience with the R1 and the BAR? Which one is preferred? I'm glad to see some updated accuracy reports as all the posts I see when it first came out said it was maybe a 2" - 3" gun at 100 yards.

I'm trying to decide between an older BAR and a new Benelli - in 30-06 or maybe 308 (for the BAR).

I have had both and prefer the R1. It is ergonomically superior, and lighter. The aesthetics are certainly debatable. My R1 had the old indexed barrel nut which needed to be replaced so the gun would return to zero after reassembly. Once that was corrected, accuracy/repeatability was on par with the BAR.

Ready, Fire, Aim
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sounds like Benelli fixed the accuracy issue. Now I have to go shoulder them both.

My other option would be a 308 AR platform rifle, but I'm not sure I want the extra weight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.