Print Thread
Hop To
R
rcbergs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I don't usually use Remington 22lr ammo but due to the ammo scarcity lately I bought a bucket of Remington Golden Bullets from Dicks last night just for plinking. I opened the bucket this morning and discovered all the bullets are very loose in the cases. Has anybody else experienced this? It doesn't seem safe to shoot this ammo and I suspect the accuracy will suffer along with feeding problems in semi's. I am going to try to contact Remington customer service later today to get some answers but what do you guys think. I can't return it to Dicks because of there return policy on ammo. I'd appreciate any of your input or experiences with loose bullets. Thanks

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've shot a lot of the cheap stuff over the years that had loose bullets.They were loose enough to wiggle a little.I never had any problems with it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's not uncommon with the bulk stuff. They will be okay for plinking, and may shoot pretty decent!

R
rcbergs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks guys for the replies.I just spoke with Remington's customer service and they confirmed what you said, loose bullets are common and they are safe to shoot. I would think that their quality standards should be better than this. I am somewhat disappointed and will definitely only buy Remington products at my last resort.
Thanks,
Bob

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
i shoot them by the thousands.

in my judgement, the rem golden bullets are typically just a tad more "hot" than the bulk federal hi velocity .22 lr.

i like the bulk federal offering a whole lot more, as they are one of the most reliable rounds in bulk offerings, but occasionaly i'll use a semi auto .22 lr pistol that the federal rounds will fail to cycle--while the remington round will in fact cycle the action--a very nice perk, and it is for that reason that i do like the rem offering, and use them reasonably often--though i ultimately prefer to use the federal offering far more often.

in the rem bulk packs, expect a fair number of failures to fire...i get a whole lot less failures to fire with federal, and i've found that the cci offering in the blazer bulk packs have never failed to fire, and they are even hotter than the rem offering. their downside is that they are rather dirty, making for more clean-up in semi auto actions.

the last time this shortage occurred in '08 and '09, i also bought some bulk pack winchester rounds, because there was nothing else available. some of those rounds actually had the bullet seated into the case so that the pill was crooked, or "off at an angle"--if you can believe that...

in my judgement based upon a lot of past experience with many tens of thousands of these remington bulk pack .22 lr rounds, you will find that they work fine--however, ultimately there's no way to positively know if in fact the specific ones you have right now are considerably worse than the specific ones i've used over the years.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought that was the way the golden bullets came.

Quality control on the golden bullets seemed much better 15 years ago. Now it is the dirtiest, poorest made bulk out there in my opinion.

TANSTAAFL
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree, I've used the last Rem Golden bullet bulk pack I will ever shoot.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I thought that was the way the golden bullets came.

Quality control on the golden bullets seemed much better 15 years ago. Now it is the dirtiest, poorest made bulk out there in my opinion.

Never used em, but keep hearing this over and over.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I agree, I've used the last Rem Golden bullet bulk pack I will ever shoot.

I'm with you lad. I had terrible luck with misfires, FTF, and FTE with the Golden Crap that I vowed never to buy that stuff again.

And I haven't, but Remington doesn't seem too upset by my decision.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought a box at Walmart and it appears to be at least as accurate if not more so then the 5 other brands I bought. Send it my way fellas!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.