Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ever hear of the Bureau of Industry & Security? They enforce some pretty interesting statutes, as Cabela's, Bass Pro and quite a few others have found out a bit late in the game. export control enforcement

Ignorance can be costly, not only in penalties but in human lives. There's too much at stake to rely on internet wisdom.

"It's what they know that's just not so", often attributed to Mark Twain but that's just not so either
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, the BIS is part of the Dept of Commerce which manages the processes I outlined in my earlier post.

Swampy, I have Aussie mates in Iraq and Afganistan fighting alongside US troops. I have no problem with restriction of trade where it will supply terrorists.

You are still completely incorrect when you make blanket statements about the export of scopes from the US being illegal. The information I have posted is not internet hearsay, it is your own government's official position as posted on their credible websites. If you can post a link to a US government site which supports your claim go ahead otherwise please stop misinforming the readers of this forum.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
I think the concern is ITAR regulations. (International Trafficing in Arms)Scopes might be subject to this.

Absolutely correct.International Traffic in Arms Regulations has strict regulations as to what can and can't be exported to foreign countries. Most military type scopes or those with mil type reticles can't be exported without an posessing an export license or having an approved exemption from ITAR by the US state department.

ITAR violations can result in severe fines and imprisonment.

Last edited by Ghostman; 10/06/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't think there are any foreign bad guys gnashing their teeth because they can't get their hands on a Leupold or Nightforce.

As we all know the Chinese are producing very good optics and they don't give a bugger who they sell to.
You can stick your finger in one hole in a leaky boat but if there's twenty other holes, what's the point??

G
G
Originally Posted by Swampman700
It's called keeping hardware out of terrorist's hands. Since my son is in Iraq, I fully support not exporting anything that can be used by snipers.

It's illegal and should be.

So was the for mentioned invasion of Iraq (arguably), the subsequent use of white phosphorus, as well as the collective punishment that has been imposed on various cities throughout the country since the invasion.
If you are worried about getting sniped by some dude that bought a rifle scope online, in a private sale, that he had shipped to another country (then presumably reimported, along with some sort of gun), I have a tin foil hat I'd like to sell ya.
The reason they ban export of certain optics is because they were imported from somewhere else, to the US, and other countries would like to enforce import tariffs on stuff that is imported (go figure). If someone in the US buys a swarovski scope then shipps it to his buddy (who is actually paying for it) somewhere else, the other country will miss out of the tax of the imported good.
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

Well I agree with Ron Paul that we don't belong out there policing the world either. Armed citizens on any of those planes could have stopped them from flying into those buildings. I am sick of Big Brother and the Nanny State, and of Empire.

I know, I know all taxes are bad (after all fruit from the money tree builds bridges, roads, and police forces right?), and government is gonna come git cher gunz, but could just one thread not devolve in to a John Burch Society errr I mean Ron Paul pipedream err celebration

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would avoid sending a scope to New York City, it is the biggest foreign country I have ever been in.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.