Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
New Glarus Brewing co-founder Deb Carey, will be seated with Michelle Obama at the State of Union address.

She was invited to Obama's last inaugural and it seemed innocent enough, but second invite maybe not so innocent. Now I am wondering how much her and her husband have donated to Obama.

I am going to see if I can return the case of Spotted Cow beer purchased recently. If beer leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I don't want it around.

Bad tasting beer
New Glarus Brewing co-founder to sit with first lady at tonight's State of the Union address

13 hours ago � By Barry Adams, Capital Newspapers

President Barack Obama shakes hands with Deb Carey, president of New Glarus Brewing, on Nov. 27 during a meeting with small-business owners at the White House.

There are good reasons the White House selected Deb Carey to sit with first lady Michelle Obama during tonight�s State of the Union speech.

Carey, the New Glarus Brewing Co. co-founder, was first runner-up for the 2011 National Small Business Person of the Year and met with the president on small-business issues late last year. She�s also putting the wraps on a $7 million expansion at her Green County brewery, but the construction crews aren�t going away.

Carey said Monday that a $9 million expansion project will begin in April that will allow the brewery to double its production to 250,000 barrels. The 9,000-square-foot, yearlong project will primarily add more fermentation tanks and bring the brewery, which makes Spotted Cow and dozens of other craft brews, to more than 100,000 square feet. The expansion will increase the number of employees from 75 to more than 100 and further cement Carey and her brewmaster husband, Dan Carey, as one of the most innovative business couples in the state.

�I just really feel very overwhelmed. It�s hard to get my head around,� Carey said of the invitation she received Friday from the White House. �I just consider it a huge, huge honor. I�m going to try really hard not to fall in my heels.�

Carey, who is more accustomed to blue jeans, said she will wear the black dress she wore to her daughter�s high school graduation in 2001 and a jacket she bought this past weekend at an antique store in Mount Horeb. The shoes were purchased � on sale � at Cornblooms in the Hilldale Shopping Center.

The White House isn�t saying if Carey will be mentioned in the president�s speech but does say the guests in the first lady�s box �include Americans from middle-class families whose day-to-day lives would benefit from the policy proposals the president will unveil,� according to a statement.

Tuesday�s event will be the second in the presidential fold for Carey since Obama�s re-election. In late November, she and 15 other small-business owners on the White House Business Council met with President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, discussing ways to jump-start the economic recovery. There, she traded some New Glarus beer for three bottles of the White House homebrew but said Monday she has been asked not to bring gifts for the first lady.

The story of Deb and Dan Carey has been well documented and enhanced by the fact that all of the beer brewed by the company is only sold in Wisconsin.

The Careys started their business in 1993 with a 10,000-square-foot brewery and in 2007 opened a $21 million, 75,000-square-foot brewing plant on the village�s south side. The just-completed expansion at the new brewery added more warehouse space and doubled the size of the visitor center.

Last year, the brewery produced 126,000 barrels of beer, a 10.4 percent increase over 2011.

The expansion Deb Carey revealed Monday will also include a 7,500-square-foot fermentation cellar that will be used for aging fruit beers. The cavern will be built into the side of a hill at the original brewery on the village�s north side, which is used for the production of speciality beers.

Carey said she remains committed to selling her products only in Wisconsin because there is room for growth, even with the increasing number of new craft breweries that continue to come on line.

Overall, beer sales nationally in 2010 and 2011 dropped 1.3 percent and 1.2 percent respectively, according to the Brewers Association�s most current numbers. Craft brewers have experienced double-digit annual growth but still account for only about 6 percent of beer sold nationally.

�There�s a lot of space for all the craft brewers to grow,� Carey said. �We�re just trying to keep up.�

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
A visual aid of what to avoid.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's who's on Moochelles invite list tonight...

The parents of murdered Chicago teen, Hadiya Pendleton, who was killed with a handgun days after attending Obama�s inauguration
Desiline Victor, a 102-year-old Haitian-American woman who waited in a long line to vote in Florida
Apple CEO and Obama donor Tim Cook
Louisville machinist Bradley Henning
Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber
Newly-minted Medal of Honor recipient and former Staff Sergeant Clint Romesha (UPDATE: Was invited, but declined)

Wisconsin police officer Lt. Brian Murphy, who was wounded by gunshots in the Sikh temple shooting last August
Lee Maxwell, a 22-year-old wind energy technician from Wilton, Iowa
Bobak �Mohawk Guy� Ferdowsi, an Iranian-American flight director from NASA representing high-skill immigrants
Las Vegas student and illegal immigrant Alan Aleman, who has benefited from Obama�s �deferred action� program
New Glarus Brewing Company founder and regular Obama small business example Deb Carey

Dr. Peter Hudson, co-founder and CEO of iTriage, an iPhone app that helps locate doctors
Susan Bumgarner, a pre-kindergarten teacher in Oklahoma City
Two lesbian couples �fighting for immigration equality and extended rights for same-sex military couples�
Menchu DeLuna Sanchez, Filipino immigrant and nurse credited with heroism during Superstorm Sandy

Dr. Jill Biden
Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to the President
Sergeant Sheena Adams, a female Marine from Vista, California
Jack Andraka, the 16-year-old winner of the 2012 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair for inventing a low-cost method to detect pancreatic cancer
Sergeant Carlos Evans, a Marine severely wounded in Afghanistan
Avondale, Arizona Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers, the city�s first Latina mayor

Amanda E. McMillan, �pay discrimination victim� from Jackson, Mississippi
Lisa Richards, a single mother who used the president�s #My2K hashtag on Twitter
Kaitlin Roig, 1st Grade Teacher, Sandy Hook Elementary School
Abby Schanfield, a college graduate depending on Obamacare for health coverage
Haile Thomas, a 12-year-old Tucson, Arizona girl and a �champion� of the first lady�s Let�s Move! program

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bet Staff Sergeant Romesha after his visit to the White House figured it out that he really didn't need to be there. I noticed at the Awarding Dakota Meyer was not that nor was Sal Giunta or they just didn't get photoed. but Leroy Petry was along with a few others. I watched it on the Pentagon Sight yesterday. BO has a hard time speaking, they would have tarred and feathered G.W.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What the hell is Oregon's leftist liberal governor doing there? and whose ass did he kiss...

I hated that jackass his first time as governor....now that I know how far his nose is up the First Family's Asses, that discontent of mine will definitely increase...

Friggin SOB Governor...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
what a collection of bottom dwellers and scum bags.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ND, if you can buy New Glarus Brewing products in MN, it is contraband. frown NG brags that they sell in Wisconsin only.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good beer. Not as good as Capital, though that is a matter of opinion. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was reading this article just minutes ago, while choking down a couple of (appropriately) dead fish sandwiches at McDonald's.
It's a bummer, because I really like New Glarus beer, especially Spotted Cow, which as of now is designated Cervisia Non Grata in the Cheesehunter beer cooler.
I do not know how much her husband has donated to Obama, but Deb Carey's contribution records indicate that she spent $12,100 on democrats in 2012. (Source)

The list:
OBAMA FOR AMERICA
MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION
BALDWIN WISCONSIN VICTORY FUND 2012 - Democrat
DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSIONAL CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE - Democrat
ACTBLUE
MARK POCAN FOR CONGRESS - Democrat
DEMOCRATIC PARTY OF WISCONSIN - Democrat
DOLLARS FOR DEMOCRATS - Democrat
TAMMY BALDWIN FOR SENATE - Democrat

Have an A1 Day!
I will be dumping my last 2 bottles of Spotted Cow in the toilet where it belongs.

Last edited by Wisbrian; 02/12/13.

"No matter how good she looks, some other man is sick and tired of putting up with her sh_t"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You folks should take pictures of your "beer dumping" and send it to corporate along with a nice note...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get yourself on the business end of a Capital Pilsner or Winter Skal and you will never miss it man. smile

Will

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Last New Glarus brew I'll ever touch... In fact, I'll find a contact spot on their site and tell 'em exactly what they can do with their beer..

Anyone who sits with those traitors can KMRRA...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New Glarus is fantastic beer.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Unfortunately a lot of craft beers come from places infested with liberals.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hope to never find out that the folks from Grain Belt are infested with such liberal tendencies.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by selmer

Yep, had a couple at the Isthmus Beer and Cheese Fest a few weeks ago. Always liked Capital better but that is just me. Wisconsin has some really great brewers.

Will

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Penguin
Good beer. Not as good as Capital, though that is a matter of opinion. smile

Will
I just sent them an email that anything from NG will never touch my lips again.. And the pub down the road will be very interested to hear this little invite.. I have a feeling he'll be callin' NG and havin' their product either dumped or sent back.. Either way, I doubt he'll buy any more..

You think I dislike the Emperor?? He's rabid.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lol, yeah I know a few places where I'd bet it won't be offered much longer. These celebrities and business folk never learn to keep their politics quiet.

Will

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by selmer

It might be selmer but I won't support a company that supports a regime that is destroying my country and way of life afighting so hard to remove my rights.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.