Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7435660 - 02/12/13 05:58 PM Best light synthetic insulating piece?
JFKinYK Offline

Loc: Yellowknife
I'm in the market for a new jacket in the light, synthetic category. In my limited searching I've found a couple including:

Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket - 60g of Thermo Micro fill (whatever that is) at 9.5 oz

Patagonia Nano Puff - 60g of Primaloft at 12.5 oz

Anything similar out there I should check out? Preference for no hood and full zip but quarter zip might work.

CI16728
#7435868 - 02/12/13 06:32 PM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: JFKinYK]
Ed_T Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Helena, MT
Mike,

I really like the Mont-Bell Thermawrap Parka, but it does have a hood. I believe the hood-less version of the Thermawrap isn't as warm.
Nano Puff is a good choice and I have really been liking my Nano Puff Hybrid:

http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-nano-puff-hybrid-jacket-black?ef_id=DGVP-6VHJ8gAAB8@:20130213023009:s

You need a shell if its windy, but I always have a shell anyways.

#7435917 - 02/12/13 06:40 PM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: Ed_T]
cwh2 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Anchorage, AK
I really like the nano puff vest. Don't have the jacket. I like my Kuiu spindrift as well.

#7436204 - 02/12/13 07:36 PM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: cwh2]
Brad Offline
Campfire Kahuna

After quite a few years of using various light primaloft-type jackets I've come to the firm conclusion they're basically junk.

Better to get a light down sweater... warmer, wider temp range, longer lasting.

#7436308 - 02/12/13 07:58 PM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: Brad]
kutenay Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I have three Integral Design (originals) Pl jackets, one Mont-Bell U/L synthetic, due to Ed's recommendation and a Kifaru synthetic, actually, a British Snugpac.

I also have an outstanding Richard Egge doublr duvet and had other very highend down jackets.

I disagree, my Mont-Bell is into it's fifth year, worn a lot, just today in moderate BC rain-read a downpour for most other places- and I find these superior to down except in colder than 20*F temps.

For synthetics or shells and down, I now recommend,based on ownership and use WildThings and Westcomb over anything else I know of. Google these sites and see what you think.

#7436353 - 02/12/13 08:06 PM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: JFKinYK]
castandblast Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Central Oregon
Originally Posted By: JFKinYK
I'm in the market for a new jacket in the light, synthetic category. In my limited searching I've found a couple including:

Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket - 60g of Thermo Micro fill (whatever that is) at 9.5 oz

Patagonia Nano Puff - 60g of Primaloft at 12.5 oz

Anything similar out there I should check out? Preference for no hood and full zip but quarter zip might work.

What temps, moisture level, and exertion level do you plan to use it in?

#7436509 - 02/12/13 08:39 PM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: Brad]
llama2 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Mckenzie Valley, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Brad
After quite a few years of using various light primaloft-type jackets I've come to the firm conclusion they're basically junk.

Not totally sure about the "junk" part. But I think this is actually quite correct and IMO, I agree.

Wool will give you a much bigger temp range- and certainly lasts longer, looks nicer in the long run and does not give that stink factor. Light wool with a shell is a great combo.

*** and to the OP's ?- if I had to do the synthetic- it would probably be the nano stuff, or a Montbell, or the Kuiu one. ( I have the Patagonia Nano and the Kuiu one)

#7436914 - 02/13/13 03:32 AM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: castandblast]
JFKinYK Offline

Loc: Yellowknife
Temps - down to 0C
Moisture - varying, but I don't want to have to worry about it
Exertion - high (but this is tricky since I wouldn't likely hike with it on unless needed)

I want it to be my warm up layer for sheep hunting. Last year I drug a Patagonia DAS parka up the mountain. Mistake. It weighs 23 oz with 120g of Primaloft and I can wear it down to -40 in YK. After my hunt I realized a snow dump isn't likely in my sheep spot and can get away with a smaller, lighter piece. It did make a great pillow though.

I always take a hard shell with hood and beanie along so I can get away without a hood on this piece.

Great thoughts everyone! Thanks.

#7437040 - 02/13/13 05:15 AM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: llama2]
Brad Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted By: llama2
Originally Posted By: Brad

Not totally sure about the "junk" part. But I think this is actually quite correct and IMO, I agree.

Wool will give you a much bigger temp range- and certainly lasts longer, looks nicer in the long run and does not give that stink factor. Light wool with a shell is a great combo.

*** and to the OP's ?- if I had to do the synthetic- it would probably be the nano stuff, or a Montbell, or the Kuiu one. ( I have the Patagonia Nano and the Kuiu one)

Yeah, "junk" may be a little strong laugh

Currently have a Patagonia micro puff and REI Revelcloud. Fine for summer highcountry, but really not enough warmth for sudden temp swings in the fall. At least not for me.

#7437430 - 02/13/13 07:12 AM Re: Best light synthetic insulating piece? [Re: JFKinYK]
kutenay Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted By: JFKinYK
Temps - down to 0C
Moisture - varying, but I don't want to have to worry about it
Exertion - high (but this is tricky since I wouldn't likely hike with it on unless needed)

I want it to be my warm up layer for sheep hunting. Last year I drug a Patagonia DAS parka up the mountain. Mistake. It weighs 23 oz with 120g of Primaloft and I can wear it down to -40 in YK. After my hunt I realized a snow dump isn't likely in my sheep spot and can get away with a smaller, lighter piece. It did make a great pillow though.

I always take a hard shell with hood and beanie along so I can get away without a hood on this piece.

Great thoughts everyone! Thanks.

Well, I first went into that country in April, 1966, was last there in 2006 and the several visits I have made there were for extended periods from 2 weeks to 3 months, often alone in the mountains for extended periods.

Based on that, I started with down and wool, it was what I had, but, the better synthetic sweaters, "Wildthings" under a "Westcomb" shell, is my choice. This is costly gear and Wildthings WILL do "multicam", while WC won't; last time I was there and asked.

Still, also look at Integral Design Tactical as Evan still has some of his outstanding clohting available.....I just don't bother with any but these three makers now as the stuff is SO good, I have worn an ID Rundle 20* jacket over an Icebreaker light merino T at 0*F in comfort.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on 2013 McKINLEYS from CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
688 registered (12344mag, 12savage, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 117LBS, 81 invisible), 1574 Guests and 345 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50830 Members
72 Forums
641952 Topics
9217995 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.