Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'm in the market for a new jacket in the light, synthetic category. In my limited searching I've found a couple including:

Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket - 60g of Thermo Micro fill (whatever that is) at 9.5 oz

Patagonia Nano Puff - 60g of Primaloft at 12.5 oz

Anything similar out there I should check out? Preference for no hood and full zip but quarter zip might work.

BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mike,

I really like the Mont-Bell Thermawrap Parka, but it does have a hood. I believe the hood-less version of the Thermawrap isn't as warm.
Nano Puff is a good choice and I have really been liking my Nano Puff Hybrid:

http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-nano-puff-hybrid-jacket-black?ef_id=DGVP-6VHJ8gAAB8@:20130213023009:s

You need a shell if its windy, but I always have a shell anyways.

Ed T

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I really like the nano puff vest. Don't have the jacket. I like my Kuiu spindrift as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After quite a few years of using various light primaloft-type jackets I've come to the firm conclusion they're basically junk.

Better to get a light down sweater... warmer, wider temp range, longer lasting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have three Integral Design (originals) Pl jackets, one Mont-Bell U/L synthetic, due to Ed's recommendation and a Kifaru synthetic, actually, a British Snugpac.

I also have an outstanding Richard Egge doublr duvet and had other very highend down jackets.

I disagree, my Mont-Bell is into it's fifth year, worn a lot, just today in moderate BC rain-read a downpour for most other places- and I find these superior to down except in colder than 20*F temps.

For synthetics or shells and down, I now recommend,based on ownership and use WildThings and Westcomb over anything else I know of. Google these sites and see what you think.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
I'm in the market for a new jacket in the light, synthetic category. In my limited searching I've found a couple including:

Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket - 60g of Thermo Micro fill (whatever that is) at 9.5 oz

Patagonia Nano Puff - 60g of Primaloft at 12.5 oz

Anything similar out there I should check out? Preference for no hood and full zip but quarter zip might work.

What temps, moisture level, and exertion level do you plan to use it in?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Brad
After quite a few years of using various light primaloft-type jackets I've come to the firm conclusion they're basically junk.

Not totally sure about the "junk" part. But I think this is actually quite correct and IMO, I agree.

Wool will give you a much bigger temp range- and certainly lasts longer, looks nicer in the long run and does not give that stink factor. Light wool with a shell is a great combo.

*** and to the OP's ?- if I had to do the synthetic- it would probably be the nano stuff, or a Montbell, or the Kuiu one. ( I have the Patagonia Nano and the Kuiu one)

J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Temps - down to 0C
Moisture - varying, but I don't want to have to worry about it
Exertion - high (but this is tricky since I wouldn't likely hike with it on unless needed)

I want it to be my warm up layer for sheep hunting. Last year I drug a Patagonia DAS parka up the mountain. Mistake. It weighs 23 oz with 120g of Primaloft and I can wear it down to -40 in YK. After my hunt I realized a snow dump isn't likely in my sheep spot and can get away with a smaller, lighter piece. It did make a great pillow though.

I always take a hard shell with hood and beanie along so I can get away without a hood on this piece.

Great thoughts everyone! Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by llama2
Originally Posted by Brad

Not totally sure about the "junk" part. But I think this is actually quite correct and IMO, I agree.

Wool will give you a much bigger temp range- and certainly lasts longer, looks nicer in the long run and does not give that stink factor. Light wool with a shell is a great combo.

*** and to the OP's ?- if I had to do the synthetic- it would probably be the nano stuff, or a Montbell, or the Kuiu one. ( I have the Patagonia Nano and the Kuiu one)

Yeah, "junk" may be a little strong laugh

Currently have a Patagonia micro puff and REI Revelcloud. Fine for summer highcountry, but really not enough warmth for sudden temp swings in the fall. At least not for me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JFKinYK
Temps - down to 0C
Moisture - varying, but I don't want to have to worry about it
Exertion - high (but this is tricky since I wouldn't likely hike with it on unless needed)

I want it to be my warm up layer for sheep hunting. Last year I drug a Patagonia DAS parka up the mountain. Mistake. It weighs 23 oz with 120g of Primaloft and I can wear it down to -40 in YK. After my hunt I realized a snow dump isn't likely in my sheep spot and can get away with a smaller, lighter piece. It did make a great pillow though.

I always take a hard shell with hood and beanie along so I can get away without a hood on this piece.

Great thoughts everyone! Thanks.

Well, I first went into that country in April, 1966, was last there in 2006 and the several visits I have made there were for extended periods from 2 weeks to 3 months, often alone in the mountains for extended periods.

Based on that, I started with down and wool, it was what I had, but, the better synthetic sweaters, "Wildthings" under a "Westcomb" shell, is my choice. This is costly gear and Wildthings WILL do "multicam", while WC won't; last time I was there and asked.

Still, also look at Integral Design Tactical as Evan still has some of his outstanding clohting available.....I just don't bother with any but these three makers now as the stuff is SO good, I have worn an ID Rundle 20* jacket over an Icebreaker light merino T at 0*F in comfort.......

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I just checked Wildthing's site, they have their Primaloft sweaters on special as low as $77.00 for a servicable green one.

However, I would go to their tactical side and build my own Insulite Jacket, costly, but, a longterm investment in exactly what YOU want/need...all Primaloft filled.

If, these had been available when I bought mine, they would be in my closet now.

J
JFKinYK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks, Kute. I was on their site and didn't even notice that page. That price even blows away my discounts with the bigger name companies. I'm just trying to decide on size, and dang that hood looks tempting!

The sweater should fill the gap for now, until I look into those Insulites.

Strange I don't see a final weight on the sweaters listed...

Edit: just dug up on another site - "I just weighed the Hooded Sweater in a Medium it comes in at 1 lb 6.2 oz."

Last edited by JFKinYK; 02/13/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kute,

I agree about the Rundle. I have the Barney's Supercub which is a ID Rundle with a mulitcam shell. I prefer atleast a 100 gram/m2 of primaloft in my jackets. They seem to work well and even when I got mine wet.

Places like Kodiak I won't take my down gear as I know my insulation layer always seems to get damp no matter how careful I am. Down is nice for a lot of my summer trips where the weather seems to be a bit better. But for flyouts in coastal regions Primaloft seems to be the way to go for me.

Brad, I prefer down when I can swing it, but the synthetic does still keep me warm even when I get it soaked by a slipping in the water during a creek crossing...don't ask me how I know.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would GO with the hood on any jacket I am going to carry/wear on a mountain top, learned this long ago. I may actually buy one of WT's Insulite jackets in due course, if, some things I am hoping for come to pass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Lands End primaloft jacket served me well for several years in my layering requirements. Recently purchased Cabela's primaloft Passage Jacket that also, has the WindShear fabric. Better.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Kute,

I agree about the Rundle. I have the Barney's Supercub which is a ID Rundle with a mulitcam shell. I prefer atleast a 100 gram/m2 of primaloft in my jackets. They seem to work well and even when I got mine wet.

Places like Kodiak I won't take my down gear as I know my insulation layer always seems to get damp no matter how careful I am. Down is nice for a lot of my summer trips where the weather seems to be a bit better. But for flyouts in coastal regions Primaloft seems to be the way to go for me.

Brad, I prefer down when I can swing it, but the synthetic does still keep me warm even when I get it soaked by a slipping in the water during a creek crossing...don't ask me how I know.

I've seen too many people freeze their ass in down to make me interested. It is great when it is dry, but not any fun when you get it wet. Same goes for sleeping bags.

Obviously there are areas/climates where it works, but I'll pass.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've been pleased with the Kuiu Spindrift.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Keeping an eye on the super down from KUIU...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Apparently many of the super down coatings offered have just a marginal improvement. The Patagonia version may be better. Just rumors until there is a lot of field testing.

With down, it's mostly about the shell. I've been out all day in a snow storm with a down vest on that was fine and it was my outer layer because it had orange on it. Higher quality down is more susceptible to clumping and loosing a lot of loft than lower quality. Synthetics loose as well, just not as much and dry faster.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Keeping an eye on the super down from KUIU...

Me too... in fact I have one arriving tomorrow.

Like Kevin T, I'm not completely sold on the Quix Down from Toray or the other similar products recently put on the market. Too many questions remain on effectiveness, durability, etc. The Patagonia stuff is a silicone coating placed at the molecular level and may be a game changer.

I mainly picked up the Super Down Hoody because I wanted a lightweight down jacket with a hood. If the water resistant down turns out to be everything they say it is then so much the better. The hood, baffled construction, Polish down and stretch fabric were selling points for me on the Kuiu jacket. Personally, I've never had a problem keeping my down jackets, gloves and bags dry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.