Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone try this combo as an alternative to your tumbler?

I just ran about 200 mixed cases through a solution and was amazed at how fast and how clean it got the brass. The rifle rounds, in some cases needed a wipe at the top of the neck to get them spotless but the results were a lot better than a multi hour run through a tumbler.

Are there any adverse affects to the brass from this solution?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Are there any adverse affects to the brass from this solution?"

If there were any that solution wouldn't have lasted for some 80 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to do that before I got a tumbler and it works fine though the brass tarnishes a little pretty quickly. NRA published that method long ago so it has a good pedigree.

May I suggest your tumbler technique isn't right? I use corn cob with a little brass polish (non-ammonia type!) and follow with clean corn cob to get off the little bit of film the polish leaves. Cleans better and faster if you consider drying time and the brass doesn't tarnish as quickly. Even warmed in an oven it took overnight to make sure the inside of the case was bone dry. Of course that little bit of tarnish means nothing except for looks.

I bought a bottle of Midway brand brass polish at a gun show years ago and may never use it up. A little goes a long way.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I switched to an ultrasonic cleaner several years ago to eliminate worn cob or walnut pieces lodged inside cases. I decap my brass and the solution cleans the primer pockets as well. Overall, I've found it faster and cheaper to do. I use either Hornady cleaner or citric acid in hot water.

To dry, I put them in the sun or over a heating duct for ten or fifteen minutes.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I used to wash bottle necked rifle brass on too humid a day. After towel drying I'd put them in a warm oven with the oven off and come back when it all cooled down, a couple hours. A Q-Tip pushed to the bottom of the case would come out damp for some shells, not all of them though. That's when I decided to give them at least over night to dry. My theory was that a droplet of water would sometimes cling to the base and with poor air circulation in a bottle necked case would be slow to evaporate.

Dish washer in a mesh onion bag works well to clean, also NRA approved, but it doesn't do anything for tarnish.

A blast of air into the primer pocket from the garage compressor sends any errant media flying, kinda fun really.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Redhill, you'll find liquid cleaning easier, faster and more thorough. Like many others, I tumbled my cases, but sifting and picking through cases was no fun for me, so I switched.

Some of the people that use liquid baths or ultrasonic cleaners have their own recipes. That's fine if you enjoy experimenting, but for quick, complete cleaning, hot water and citric acid will do the trick. This is best done at home, I think (unless you're competing in a BP shoot). smile I have used vinegar and soap in the past, but found Hornady One Shot or citric acid did the job with less fuss (and smell).

You can get ultrasonic cleaners on ebay or at Walmart cheaply. They clean in minutes rather than hours. Using hot water is best, but cool water will do in a pinch.

With respect to drying time, it's nothing to worry about. As you already know, most people clean their cases at home and do not re-use them immediately. It's alright if you forget your brass is sitting in the sun or over a heating duct.

The only potential advantage corn cob or walnut has is that you can polish your brass. For most of us, that's not important.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All roads lead to Rome. smile

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I switched to an ultrasonic cleaner several years ago to eliminate worn cob or walnut pieces lodged inside cases. I decap my brass and the solution cleans the primer pockets as well. Overall, I've found it faster and cheaper to do. I use either Hornady cleaner or citric acid in hot water.

To dry, I put them in the sun or over a heating duct for ten or fifteen minutes.

+1
I love the fact I don't have to dig crap out if the primer hole.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 70 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.